Star Princess to Alaska 5/19/19 JEANS?? COFFEE??

TXRed

I have spend nearly an hour trying to find answers to my questions....ugh! So I am going to ask and accept the tongue lashings that may come.

I was told men and women could wear NICE jeans in the main dining room on regular nights.  But haven't been able to confirm it. And on the 

formal nights men could wear a nice shirt, tie and trousers. Jacket not required. Again I haven't been able to confirm this. 

Coffee, I was told is not too good unless you buy a coffee card. Last cruise I took a french coffee press and just got a carafe of hot water from room service. However friends bought the coffee card and also got pastries and gelato. 

Is there anyplace on the Star to get decent coffee without purchasing the coffee card? If you don't buy the coffee card do you have to pay for the pastries and the gelato?  Thanks for any replies, even the ones from those who will tell me to use the search feature😜

One more thing....who ever designed this new format...gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

On the next page is a thread named “Attire Expectations”. That is the last place where the proper dress question was last fought to a draw. You should read thru that thread to save another big angry discussion.

will leave the coffee question to another......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

On the next page is a thread named “Attire Expectations”. That is the last place where the proper dress question was last fought to a draw. You should read thru that thread to save another big angry discussion.

will leave the coffee question to another......

thank you sooooooooooooooooo much...I found the answer re: jeans and didn't have to say a word!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I was on Regal Princess recently, and didn't have any problems with the coffee. 

So I just don't get why some complain about it. :classic_huh:

The orange juice, however, left little to be desired. It was bloody awful.

Thanks....hate to read that about the oj...we drink peculated coffee, it's old fashioned I know...but we love the flavor of coffee from a percolator. The last time we sailed Princess we didn't care for the coffee except in the dining room, specialty dining and I believe at the coffee bar. We were told Princess uses a coffee syrup in the buffet area and room service instead of ground coffee. WE just know we didn't care for it. But I will bring my coffee press and my own ground coffee. Nothing like sitting on the balcony with a nice cup of coffee.

16 minutes ago, Vic The Parrot said:

I was on Regal Princess recently, and didn't have any problems with the coffee. 

So I just don't get why some complain about it. :classic_huh:

The orange juice, however, left little to be desired. It was bloody awful.

OP is going to be on the Star, not a Royal class ship like the Regal.  The Royal class ships have a different coffee service than other ships in the fleet.  Even with the recent changes that reduce the long term value of the Coffee Card,  no physical card to carry punches forward, I would consider buying one if you drink a coffee or two a day as well as drink specialty coffees.

• Like 1

Nice jeans have been accepted on all our Princess cruises lately. Embarcation dinner even has allowed a t-shirt too! (No shorts)

I also have worn a knit shirt with slacks for formal nights (no tie) for the last 2 years. No problems.

As for coffee - I always bring Starbucks VIA instant packs from Costco. I can't speak for the coffee on the Royal class ships -  haven't been on one yet. 

Have a GREAT trip!

Edited by milogurd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TXRed said:

If you don't buy the coffee card do you have to pay for the pastries and the gelato?  

If you’re talking about the pastries at the International Cafe, there is no additional charge for them.  You don’t need to purchase coffee in order to get the pastries.  They are pretty yummy...by the way.

There is a charge for the gelato.  But I don’t know if you can use the coffee card to purchase gelato.  We don’t drink enough coffee to warrant purchasing a card. Hopefully, someone else will answer that question for you.  

• Like 1

The pastries in the IC are free as is all the food they have and are open 24x7.  The gelato has a charge and not sure when it is offered.  

I have been wearing jeans and a polo like shirt for years on non-formal nights without any problem.  Formal nights all that is required for men is a pair of dockers and a button shirt.  Ties and coats are not required.  This is my normal wear on formal night.  

The night of embarkation just about anything is allowed in the MDR including shorts and tshirt as some have not received their checked luggage in their cabin in time to dress for dinner.  My form of dress in the Caribbean where it is hot.  AK can be cool so you might want to bring along some warmer clothing.  The key in AK is to layer clothing so that you can quickly add or subtract clothing as the weather dictates.  

Join the club of those who hate the current CC website.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, milogurd said:

Nice jeans have been accepted on all our Princess cruises lately. Embarcation dinner even has allowed a t-shirt too! (No shorts)

I also have worn a knit shirt with slacks for formal nights (no tie) for the last 2 years. No problems.

As for coffee - I always bring Starbucks VIA instant packs from Costco. I can't speak for the coffee on the Royal class ships -  haven't been on one yet. 

Have a GREAT trip!

Thanks...I have never thought about the Starbucks instant packs...ummmmmmm will check it out.  Your bug is funny!!:classic_biggrin:

17 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

If you’re talking about the pastries at the International Cafe, there is no additional charge for them.  You don’t need to purchase coffee in order to get the pastries.  They are pretty yummy...by the way.

There is a charge for the gelato.  But I don’t know if you can use the coffee card to purchase gelato.  We don’t drink enough coffee to warrant purchasing a card. Hopefully, someone else will answer that question for you.  

Thanks....yes I think it was the International Cafe..my husband and son always went to get it. And yes the pastries were yummy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The pastries in the IC are free as is all the food they have and are open 24x7.  The gelato has a charge and not sure when it is offered.  

I have been wearing jeans and a polo like shirt for years on non-formal nights without any problem.  Formal nights all that is required for men is a pair of dockers and a button shirt.  Ties and coats are not required.  This is my normal wear on formal night.  

The night of embarkation just about anything is allowed in the MDR including shorts and tshirt as some have not received their checked luggage in their cabin in time to dress for dinner.  My form of dress in the Caribbean where it is hot.  AK can be cool so you might want to bring along some warmer clothing.  The key in AK is to layer clothing so that you can quickly add or subtract clothing as the weather dictates.  

Join the club of those who hate the current CC website.  

Thanks for your reply. This is our second Princess cruise..on the first one we didn't eat in the main dining room as I was still recovering from treatments and tired easily. So we weren't aware of what people wore in the MDR. This time I want to be able to enjoy the dining room.

I am joining the club!! 🤬

'

11 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Jeans have been acceptable for years now on casual evenings and as long as they don't have holes in them, there fine.

On formal night a dress shirt with dress pants without a jacket is also acceptable.....even with out the tie. 😄

Thanks for your reply.my husband and son are going to be very happy..

16 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Show of hands of those who believe nice black jeans are OK, even on formal night. 

The last several cruises I have worn black jeans to the MDR on formal night.  They are hard to decipher unless looking close whether they are jeans or pants.  Evidently not Levi's.  Not much different than wearing a black pair of dockers.   

• Like 2