Does Vines still offer complementary snacking foods with drink purchase?

Pitachip1210

Hi Pitachip, I would say not always.  We just got off the Grand a few weeks ago.  Went into Vines about 6 one evening while my husband was elsewhere.  Got my glass of wine, the waiter didn't seem to know much about wine (saw him serving coffee at the IC one afternoon)  Finished my wine and ordered another glass and asked if there was anything to snack on.  Waited a while and then just went over to the IC and got a plate of cheese and crackers.  A few minutes later he walked by and put down one of those carafes of peanuts and walked away.  Not the type of service I expected there.

15 hours ago, Pitachip1210 said:

Sailing on Regal and wondering if they do this. I know other ships offer but I can’t find anything about Regal offering this. 

On the Ruby and Emerald, they do this.  Was on the Golden recently but I don’t recall being served snacks.  If they did, it wasn’t very memorable.  

Edited by knittertwitter
Typo

3 hours ago, marden1970 said:

Hi Pitachip, I would say not always.  We just got off the Grand a few weeks ago.  Went into Vines about 6 one evening while my husband was elsewhere.  Got my glass of wine, the waiter didn't seem to know much about wine (saw him serving coffee at the IC one afternoon)  Finished my wine and ordered another glass and asked if there was anything to snack on.  Waited a while and then just went over to the IC and got a plate of cheese and crackers.  A few minutes later he walked by and put down one of those carafes of peanuts and walked away.  Not the type of service I expected there.

We've not experienced great service at Vines on the Grand in the last couple of sailings.  They seemed to be out of the wines on the menu, of course, all the ones we wanted to try.  And, no automatic tapas.  I asked and the guy left for quite some time and came back with a plate of cheese and crackers.  Well, not exactly what we had in mind but he did leave to go somewhere to get that so ate a couple pieces and left the rest.  I know that I've asked for some olives in Crooners before and got them ....now, those are great!  Maybe I should have been more specific.  

And, even on sea days, it seemed to  be closed for most of the day.  When it was open, nobody seemed to be there to pour the wine .... but boy, when you tried to go to dinner with one of those nicer glasses, he instantly appeared from nowhere to repour your wine into one of the heavy duty wine glasses with the bubble rim.  The funny thing is, we had club class dining and when we got into the dining area, they repoured it into one of the nice thin rimmed glasses again.  Seemed like a waste to me.....but that is their policy. 

A friend recently sailed on the Emerald Princess and absolutely loved Vines.  She had a completely different experience.  I guess it is all on who they have working there.  

As a couple posters have mentioned the Vines noshing options on the Grand Princess is not as nice as it is on other ships.  My understanding, and I'm going from memory so it may not be quite right, is that there is no kitchen facility adjacent to Vines on the Grand Princess.  So, things like packaged crackers or, maybe, a couple slices of cheese is the best you can get.  There might be other ships that have this same issue.  Most of my cruising the last few years has been on the Emerald Princess and the Ruby Princess and both of them have consistently offered sushi and tapas.

I was told that the reason there are no tapas in Vines on Grand is because it is right next to Alfredo's. The person I asked did go across to IC and bring a selection of cheeses. Of course I could do that myself - I had just asked about Tapas or Sushi. Still, it was a nice gesture as I doubt it was something he "had" to do.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I was told that the reason there are no tapas in Vines on Grand is because it is right next to Alfredo's. The person I asked did go across to IC and bring a selection of cheeses. Of course I could do that myself - I had just asked about Tapas or Sushi. Still, it was a nice gesture as I doubt it was something he "had" to do.

The Alfedo's thing might be the actual explanation.  Now, that you mention it, though, Thrak, the server did get the cheese selection that I remember from the IC.  Also, thinking back, on our second visit to Vines, that cruise, I walked over to the IC myself and picked up a Cuban sandwich.