cost of breakfast in Amsterdem

We will be in Amsterdam for 4 nights end of August and have noticed a big difference in the cost of hotel rates with and without breakfast.

A lot of hotels charge at an average cost of 15- 20 euros per person for their buffet breakfast if it is not inlcuded in the hotel rate. Yikes!  Any idea as to what a typical breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, juice, coffee, fruit etc) would be in a restaurant in Amsterdam. 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, cruisingisforme said:

We will be in Amsterdam for 4 nights end of August and have noticed a big difference in the cost of hotel rates with and without breakfast.

A lot of hotels charge at an average cost of 15- 20 euros per person for their buffet breakfast if it is not inlcuded in the hotel rate. Yikes!  Any idea as to what a typical breakfast (eggs, bacon, toast, juice, coffee, fruit etc) would be in a restaurant in Amsterdam. 

Thank you.

The typical Dutch breakfast does not consist of eggs & bacon - you are describing a North American breakfast & will pay a hefty price for it. 15-20 euros at the breakfast buffet sounds reasonable for what you wish.

You can find budget friendly alternatives here:

https://thesavvybackpacker.com/city-guide/daily-costs-visit-amsterdam/

When traveling in Europe, we eat what the locals eat - we do not insist on American style (or any other style) meals.  If you truly must have bacon & eggs, I would recommend booking the hotel's included breakfast (do they even offer bacon?).

Edited by dogs4fun

we usually  go to one of the local places that have Dutch pancakes 

Some hotels  charge up to 33Euro PP for the  their buffet

We stayed  at  a hotel  in July  the rooms were  tiny but the breakfast  was  good  for only 10 E PP lots of choices

Depends on the hotel location  what is close by

Our experience with Amsterdam hotels is to skip the hotel breakfast buffet.  The breakfast buffet tends to be pricey and way too much food.   We like a lighter breakfast, coffee, yogurt, pastry, etc.   Depending on your hotel, there may be a hotel coffee shop or restaurant that serves a lighter a la carte breakfast.  Explore your hotel's neighborhood for local coffee shops.    

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

we usually  go to one of the local places that have Dutch pancakes 

Yes, there are many places in AMS that sell pancakes. I love Dutch pancakes! One of the many things I enjoy in the Netherlands. The pancakes and crepes at Pancake en Burger Bar are delicious. Their Dutch breakfast is 8.50 euro pp (eggs, York ham, cheese, strawberry jam. croissant). 

http://pancake-burgerbar.nl/?page_id=314

Most 4 and 5-star hotels in Amsterdam are owned by international companies. They all serve large breakfast buffets at rates from  € 15 to € 25 p.p. Most of their customers are not Dutch, so they serve International and Continental breakfasts. Including all kinds of bread, toasts, cereals, eggs, bacon, jams, cheeses, coffee, tea, juices etc. If you not a big eater in the morning thats a lot of money. If you like breakfast as much as i do, you go for it. Usually cheaper if you book the breakfast with the room.

At 3-star hotels the breakfast differs a lot more: toast or bacon and eggs might be not available.

Thank you all for your comments. What can I expect for lunch or dinner cost? I am from Canada and a typical lunch at MacDonalds would be $10.00 and up and about $12- 15.00 for sit down restaurant like Kelseys or Shoeless Joes etc and dinner

$20.00 and up. Of course more for a steakhouse like The Keg etc. Just trying to get an idea as to cost.

Thank you

1 hour ago, cruisingisforme said:

Thank you all for your comments. What can I expect for lunch or dinner cost? I am from Canada and a typical lunch at MacDonalds would be $10.00 and up and about $12- 15.00 for sit down restaurant like Kelseys or Shoeless Joes etc and dinner

$20.00 and up. Of course more for a steakhouse like The Keg etc. Just trying to get an idea as to cost.

Thank you

Check-out the following link as it provides budget guides to costs in Amsterdam (including lunch, dinner, sights, transportation, etc.) https://thesavvybackpacker.com/city-guide/daily-costs-visit-amsterdam/

and this (2018 prices): http://holland-explorer.com/amsterdam-prices/

Edited by dogs4fun

5 minutes ago, cruisingisforme said:

Hi Dogs4fun,

I had seen the savvy backpaker but the prices seem to be very basic. I was hoping for an idea of a better meal.

Why not check-out the restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor? Often times, a link is supplied to the venue's website where you can often look at the cafe/restaurant location, menu and prices. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g188590-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html 

Edited by dogs4fun

17 minutes ago, cruisingisforme said:

Thank you. I will check it out. I am finding Amsterdam to be more costly than I had thought.

Without knowing what type of meal you are looking for, I can tell you that we have had some nice meals in AMS that were not overly expensive (in my estimation). If you are looking for steaks/seafood, the prices are higher than for pasta, etc. We had a great meal at Zara's (about 50 euros pp) and a nice meal at Cor & Don's (about 20 euros pp). Have had meals above and below both of these price points - just depends on what you want.

Forgot to mention Gartine - central location (about 5 mins via metro or tram from Centraal Station) & great breakfast/lunch at reasonable prices - ingredients are soooo fresh:

https://www.gartine.nl/

LHT28 raises a good point: ensure that you have a credit card that carries no foreign transaction fee.

Edited by dogs4fun

On 12/29/2018 at 12:33 PM, cruisingisforme said:

I am finding Amsterdam to be more costly than I had though

If you are cruising to Scandanavia, then be prepared for real sticker shock!

We find Amsterdam in the middle for pricing.  Spain/Portugal are the cheapest. 

1 hour ago, lisiamc said:

In cities that are really expensive, we’ve been known to eat breakfast at (whisper it) McDonald’s.  Then we can afford to spend more on delicious local cruisine for dinner.  Not ideal, but practical.

Yes I had thought about MacDonalds as a choice depending on hotel location. Thank you.

On 12/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, LHT28 said:

plan to spend more that you think

We had  2 cappuccinos & 2 almond tarts  it was about $21 CAD on the CC image.png.13251cf5785185a46b2a992e010b3052.png

we now have a CC with no FTF so that may save the hidden 2.5% FTF  next trip  😉

Thank you for posting. Gives a me a better idea. I know prices can be all over the place. At home here near Toronto you can go out to a diner kind of place for breakfast, eggs, bacon and toast  for $5.00 or you can spend $12.00 and more at Cora's!!. Good point about the FTF fee on the credit card. I will see if there is a fee when using my RBC Westjet mastercard.

On 12/29/2018 at 7:31 AM, dogs4fun said:

Why not check-out the restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor? Often times, a link is supplied to the venue's website where you can often look at the cafe/restaurant location, menu and prices. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g188590-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html 

Thank you for posting the tripadvisor on restaurants. I just saw that today. Very informative.

1 hour ago, cruisingisforme said:

Thank you for posting. Gives a me a better idea. I know prices can be all over the place. At home here near Toronto you can go out to a diner kind of place for breakfast, eggs, bacon and toast  for $5.00 or you can spend $12.00 and more at Cora's!!. Good point about the FTF fee on the credit card. I will see if there is a fee when using my RBC Westjet mastercard.

Usually hidden in the fine print 😉

Depending on where you are staying there are some  inexpensive places to eat

Hema has  a food counter  sort of like Woolworths  very reasonable

we  ate at an Argentinian restaurant near Rembrandt Square  good  dinner & prices were good also

4 hours ago, cruisingisforme said:

and yes there is a fee 2.5%, yikes!