Internet Cafes

Berkshires

We will be cruising on the Equinox in February from Miami to several of the islands in the Caribbean including San Juan, Charlotte Amalie, Punta Cana, and Nassau.  Are there internet cafes at any of these stops which we can use?  Also, can we use U.S. dollars or/and credit cards for any purchases?

Thank you,

Sharon Feltser

Internet cafes are becoming as passé as travellers cheques. Do you need a desktop computer? Or do you just need free WiFi for your phone or tablet? This is very easily found in many of the bars, coffee shops or restaurants- all you need is to order something to obtain the password for access ( just don't expect much in the way of speed).

Credit cards are accepted at many stores and restaurants, less commonly in the street markets. You'll likely be able to use USD, just don't expect a great exchange rate, and be prepared to be given any change in the local currency. Tip: bring small bills so you aren't saddled with a large amount of local money at the end of the day. 

5 hours ago, mom says said:

Internet cafes are becoming as passé as travellers cheques. Do you need a desktop computer? Or do you just need free WiFi for your phone or tablet? This is very easily found in many of the bars, coffee shops or restaurants- all you need is to order something to obtain the password for access ( just don't expect much in the way of speed).

Yes, it's a long time since I last saw an "internet cafe", though it's also a long time since I actually looked for one.

If you have a tablet - an I-Pad, a phone with internet connectivity, or similar - there are plenty of cafes, bars, etc with free wifi. You'll see "free wifi" signs at those establishments.

If you need the hardware - like a PC - I don't know how easy it will be to find an "internet cafe".

Re mom's last point, it's well worth checking whether other customers are happily tapping away before you commit to buying a beer, coffee or whatever because speeds can be so slow as to be useless.

And bear in mind that when using wireless connection your security is at risk, so avoid opening up bank statements and such.

(technology's not my thing, others can possibly be more precise about those risks)

JB :classic_smile:

When using "public" wifi at restaurants and the like (and even at airports), be sure to use a VPN, even for your non-critical data transmission.  You don't have to be doing banking or the like to have identity information stolen and later reused against you.

But, if you don't think you need protection.....caveat emptor.

All of the ports you mention will accept US Dollars (San Juan and the USVI actually use US Dollars).  Credit cards (especially Visa and MC) are widely accepted although some places might give you a small discount if you use cash.   As to Internet Cafes, they are rapidly disappearing and being replaced by smart phones.  If you have T-Mobile, your phone will work in about 140 countries (including everywhere in the Caribbean) without any extra fees....except paying 25 cents a min for phone calls.  And if you can find free WiFi you can even make free phone calls.   One reason we switched our phones over to T-Mobile is that it works all over the world without the extra daily or monthly fees demanded by most of their competitors.  If you do have another major plan (ATT, Verizon, etc) check with your provider about options for coverage on the islands.

By the way, some  other US Plans will work in the USVI and Puerto Rico since they are part of the USA and are within the normal coverage area.

Hank

Lots.  But we simply go to a coffee shop or a bar.  Most have free wireless.  We try to go to one that is not right beside the port or the ship. We look for somewhere less crowed.  More often it is a bar in the afternoon for a cold drink.

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, 4everOrcruiser said:

I'm referring to the wifi behind Margaretville. 

Then say it in the first place.

And if I had it, I don't think I'd give it to someone who won't even help pay for the connection by buying a beer.