MSC Divina YC Review

Teacher42

"Let me be surrounded by luxury, I can do without the necessities" Oscar Wilde. "Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright. These two quotes epitomize the feeling you will receive sailing aboard MSC's Yacht Club. We booked a lovely cabin #16007 the Sophia Loren designed ‘red’ Royal Suite. It is a bit too small for a ‘Royal Suite’ by industry standards. It is situated forward and subjected to rocking, rolling, swaying and pitching to and fro. If you are prone to sea sickness do not book this cabin. Noise from above, the One Pool; with children running amok during the day and deck hands preparing the lounges every morning at 5:30 AM. You will have an uninviting and unappealing balcony, where Wi-Fi will not work. That being said, did not stop us from booking 2 future cruises on board for the MSC Seaside based on everything else and more you will receive in Yacht Club service. There was reserved theatre seating for all performances. We found the balcony perfect with the added bonus of glass partitioning the two balcony rows which provided those seated in the front row a level of cough and sneeze protection from those behind you. We loved the YC dedicated elevator which only serviced the Yacht Club. The center two main elevators servicing all floors below the Yacht Club and Yacht Club provided members with non-stop access up or down from the Yacht club using our room key cards. Never a long wait. We noticed an unadvertised 2nd day boat drill for those that missed the mandatory 1st day boat drill. I questioned the muster station attendant and asked who the drill was for and his reply was it was for all passengers who missed the 1st days drill. These lucky few did not have to put up with over clogged elevators, giving them more time on day 1 to unpack, shower and not rush to an early dinner reservation or climb the flight of stairs from deck 7 to deck 16 Yacht Club staterooms. The YC ‘One Pool’ deck always had available lounge chairs although hardly any in the shade. We ordered 2 attachable lounge chair umbrellas in anticipation of our next return cruises. The YC lounge is a quiet, comfortable large area encompassing the entire width of the ship with the best ocean views coveted by all passengers, but exclusive only to YC members. It provided butlers serving drinks and all manner of tasty morsels. Outside the YC lounge is a concierge staffed desk 24 hours with CCTV providing security in the YC public areas and halls. Pizza delivered to your door in pizza restaurant pizza boxes. All you can eat Venchi gelato. Inclusive beverage package for the average 32 drinks per passenger per day. World newspapers of your choice which they print up each morning, printed on large tablet paper and found hanging outside on your door handle in a blue satchel.  The Italian flat spring water comes in glass bottles and appears to taste much better than the water we are accustomed to drink in plastic bottles. Unlimited orange lounge chair towels. Limit of 2 towels for everyone else, strictly enforced. At least 2 different varietals of all types of wine to choose from at meals, not limited to 2 ‘house’ wines like another not to be mentioned cruise line. Le Muse is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, even in port. A big plus for those of us who have no desire to get off the ship and are forced to look for another venue, or worse, skip a meal than dine in a buffet. I think I just talked myself into another Yacht Club booking. Those who sail in the MSC Yacht Club will sail no other way in the future. They will be permanently spoiled. MSC is setting a new standard in a ‘ship within a ship’ concept.

Having recently (12/20) from 21 days in the Divina's Yacht Club, reading your review brought back wonderful memories.   And yes, like you we have already booked another MSC cruise on the Divina.

But we do have some questions/comments.  32 drinks a day average?  I would have been floating off the ship and think we probably averaged something closer to 25 :).  As to the gelato, according to a couple of the Concierge's (who are probably still working) that benefit is soon to disappear (one Concierge thought it had already been stopped).  As to going to the shows in the main theater, having a reserved seating area is helpful if you go to the 9:00 show intended for the early diners.  Those of us who normally went to the 7pm show (we dine after the show) do not need reserved seating since those 7pm shows are much less crowded.  But all that being said, we agree that cruising in the YC (at least on the Divina) has spoiled us forever.

Hank

Dear Hank, We were on the 10 day 12/20 to 12/30/18 sailing. Got off at 6:45, only luggage off ship at this time was the VIP Yacht Club. Got the first porter who loaded up 'Lady Aster's' 7 bags and took us to the check- in ' tent' where our car service was supposed to be waiting. Instead of just dropping our bags the porter waited until our service arrived in two minutes and he helped our driver situate the bags in the SUV. Tipped $25 for the unusual service from a porter.  Our pharmacist recently went on RCCL and in conversation with the bar manager got the statistic of the average passenger has 32 drinks per day. 'Lady Aster' only drinks bottled water. I like 2 glasses of white wine a night with my dinner, but on this cruise I bumped it up to 4 glasses. Glad you asked about the gelato. I tried a cup of white pistachio with no nuts, price for a cone was posted $5.50. To eat a cup they have a very unsanitary method of small spoons in a cup on the top off the gelato case where passengers fiddle around with trying to pick one out. All sorts of germs could be spread. I recommend you bring many clean plastic spoons with you from home in a zip lock bag to enjoy the gelato with no fear of contamination or get a cone. The gelato server asked for my room card to charge the gelato, but returned it immediately saying "no charge, sir". YC still has its advantages. We could receive a choice of three different flavors of gelato every night on the dinner dessert menu, with a side of chocolate sauce to pour over on the side. I just got off the phone with my TA and we cancelled our booking on Celebrity Edge S1 and booked the Meraviglia Yacht Club instead. MSC is e-mailing the future cruise rep on the Divina to put it through as if we are still on board for the on-board bonus. What a cruise line !

LOL :).  Your mention of the gelato spoons made both DW (she does not raise to Lady Aster's level since 1 or 2 large bags will do) and myself laugh.  I guess you could say we are the opposite of a germaphobe so do not normally worry about things like those gelato spoons.  In fact, having a glass or bowl with plastic spoons is a norm in many US ice cream shops.  But we have a DD who is much more cautious when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Changing your booking from the Edge to Meraviglia is probably a great move :).  If it was not for the constant degradation of Celebrity's product under their current CEO, we would have likely never "discovered" MSC.  It was only because of our dissatisfaction with Celebrity (with whom we have cruised hundreds of days) that we decided to try the YC.  And like you, what would have been a future Celebrity cruise (Silhouette) is now going to be another MSC cruise (Divina).  We have received a generous OBC from our cruise agent so will easily be able to afford a few cups or cones of that delicious gelato.  Speaking of the Edge, there is just no way we would consider booking that ship given the current pricing.  The YC is certainly a much better value for one's money.

Hank

We recently returned from 21days aboard the Silhouette, probably our last with their current pricing and poor MDR food quality.  We are booked aboard the YC on sister ship Preziosa in February and can’t wait. Just hope the food is comparable to that offered in Murano, or am I hoping for too much ?

4 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

We recently returned from 21days aboard the Silhouette, probably our last with their current pricing and poor MDR food quality.  We are booked aboard the YC on sister ship Preziosa in February and can’t wait. Just hope the food is comparable to that offered in Murano, or am I hoping for too much ?

We also bailed on Celebrity because of our experience on our last three cruises on the Silhouette, food in MDR, entertainment, and slipping service being the main reasons. Cruise #1 is when we noticed it. Thought it was a fluke so tried #2, same thing. Cruise #3, we got an amazing deal on Aqua class. Meal problem solved, other two, not acceptable. I think we might have found a home on MSC, at least on the Seaside.

12 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

My first MSC cruise isn't until Sept.  My expectation for the YC dining room in not as high as your's based on reviews I read.  I hope I'm wrong.  What a pleasant surprise  it would be to find Murano quality food in the YC restaurant.  I hope you will write a review after you cruise.

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We never attend the drill on embarkation day.  We receive a notice in the cabin of where and when to attend the next drill;  much more comfortable experience.

In all my cruises I have never been brave enough to try this. Interesting it's a regular practice for you - there can't be too much to fear?!

Edited by Captain-John

2 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

In all my cruises I have never been brave enough to try this. Interesting it's a regular practice for you - there can't be too much to fear?!

It's not like they'll make you walk the plank for not attending, Cap'n.  :classic_biggrin:

There could be many reasons why people can't make it first time;  they have to allow for that.  We would sometimes go for a nap on the afternoon of embarkation if we've had an early flight that morning (which would entail us being up out of bed from 1.30 am) which is how we began to miss the drill and discovered that they give you another opportunity to attend one.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It's not like they'll make you walk the plank for not attending, Cap'n.  :classic_biggrin:

There could be many reasons why people can't make it first time;  they have to allow for that.  We would sometimes go for a nap on the afternoon of embarkation if we've had an early flight that morning (which would entail us being up out of bed from 1.30 am) which is how we began to miss the drill and discovered that they give you another opportunity to attend one.

I guess I just haven't liked the idea of being poorly thought of by the crew - I always picture a tut and a shake of the head, a disapproving mutter - who knew I was so chicken hearted. 🤣

No idea how you can nap through all the bloody alarms and announcements though, that's the true feat. Out of curiosity, roughly how many 'stragglers' are there at the sweep up - 100 or so? And it's straight to the brig if you miss that one I presume?!

There wouldn't be too many - which is what makes it so attractive!

It's fun to see the disapproving looks on other passengers' faces as you carry your life-jacket to the appointed venue.  The crew don't bat an eyelid;  they're used to seeing it every week.

As for it being straight to the brig for missing the repeat - you might very well think that:  I couldn't possibly comment!  :classic_ohmy:  😜 

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

We never attend the drill on embarkation day.  We receive a notice in the cabin of where and when to attend the next drill;  much more comfortable experience.

If you were to do this on some other cruise lines you might find yourself standing on the dock (with your luggage) waving at the ship as it leaves the port!  We can think of one particular line that will not leave the port until everyone has been accounted for as having attended the drill, or has been tossed off the ship for failing to comply.  Yes, we did notice that MSC has a very relaxed view of how they conduct their muster drill (we thought it bordered on incompetent) so not surprised you can get away with what you do...and suspect nobody on MSC cares.  While their muster drill/process likely meets the requirements of SOLAS,  I really would fear what might happen in a real emergency.  We were also very surprised at how many crew members we met who were on their first contract and had little to no training prior to starting work on MSC.  Whether this would have much impact in a major emergency remains to be seen.  

Hank

Dear Hank, You must have missed my diatribe on another thread:We love to hear those fortunate ones that have never met a cruise they did not like. Your so lucky. We experienced a time aboard the Regent Sea some years ago, when a fire broke out aboard ship. The ship stopped dead in its tracks. Crew were racing down to the pool to fill buckets of water and race back to the fire.  No electricity, no air conditioning, panic began to set in amongst the passengers. Passengers were fighting over lounge chairs to sleep out on deck.  The ship set out an SOS and the passengers quieted down when they saw a freighter come to our rescue.  Word passed around to be prepared to abandon ship if necessary. The freighter stayed along side us until the ship was able to get things under control and power was restored. The freighter's leaving was then a reassuring sign to all of us. To this day I always carry a small flash light to find our way to and from our cabin.Also we learned to always count the number of steps from our cabin to the nearest exit. Do not count on the emergency lighting to work. This incident changed my opinion of my fellow man, I became the misanthrope I now claim to be. No women and children first with this group, just every man for himself. It was one of the most unpalatable experiences of our lives. The cruise line gave everyone a voucher for a free weeks cruise any time in the future. The following day the injured crew member, all bandage up from his burns was introduced and given a standing ovation at the pool deck for saving the ship.

On 12/31/2018 at 3:14 PM, mickey89 said:

I cannot speak for the Preziosa, but the food on the Divina in Le Muse was very good with a few offerings (especially the pastas and risottos) reaching Murano quality.  But overall there are few restaurants at sea that approach Murano in terms of quality, ambiance and service.  That being said, given the trends we have seen at Celebrity it is just a matter of time before their management team screws up Murano....and/or raises the price to $200 per person :).

Hank