Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

26 minutes ago, scoobikins said:

That's pretty disappointing. We use it every morning for coffee and toast, and at least a couple days in the afternoon. 

You’ll still be able to get your morning items for free. That is not changing. The title of this thread is misleading and wrong. Breakfast items are still going to be free. 

34 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I think we're going to see most, if not all, alternative food stations changing to for-charge establishments.  Fish and Chips, decent fried seafood, morphed into the Seafood Shack, for an extra charge.

Fish and Chips, only on Conquest Class, was replaced with a different included venue. Seafood Shack is a new offering, available on more ships.

This is very disappointing as DH and I used room service every  morning for breakfast and I used it most days for lunch, although I usually ordered items for lunch that had a charge. DH goes to the Lido to bring back hot items for breakfast to go along with the items we order from room service like bagels and cream cheese. We bring lox from home and keep it in the mini fridge since we can't get it from room service anymore. With the light blue ink I couldn't really read the prices of the new room service menu even after enlarging it. Oh well, we'll see it in April on our Miracle cruise. We are sailing on Holland America in February in a Neptune Suite again and their room service breakfasts offer hot egg and meat dishes, salmon eggs benedict, and free mimosas (free for Neptune and Pinnacle Suites). I wonder if HAL will also start charging for room service?

2 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

This is very disappointing as DH and I used room service every  morning for breakfast and I used it most days for lunch, although I usually ordered items for lunch that had a charge. DH goes to the Lido to bring back hot items for breakfast to go along with the items we order from room service like bagels and cream cheese. We bring lox from home and keep it in the mini fridge since we can't get it from room service anymore. With the light blue ink I couldn't really read the prices of the new room service menu even after enlarging it. Oh well, we'll see it in April on our Miracle cruise. We are sailing on Holland America in February in a Neptune Suite again and their room service breakfasts offer hot egg and meat dishes, salmon eggs benedict, and free mimosas (free for Neptune and Pinnacle Suites). I wonder if HAL will also start charging for room service?

The Continental Breakfast is still included  -no charge.

2 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Ah.  So Fish and Chips wasn't replaced with another included seafood option.  That is my memory and I'm relieved to have it confirmed.

Yes it happens, repeatedly.

Wow. Seafood options are repeatedly replaced with another option? Who knew?

7 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Wow. Seafood options are repeatedly replaced with another option? Who knew?

Included seafood options replaced by for-fee seafood options, or by non-equivalent included options.

It's hard to believe we are debating this.

Happy sailing.

It seems quite common to move included items outside the fare and charge separately for it. Look at airlines. They moved into profitability when they abandoned the two piece luggage rule. They now not only charge for the bags, but if they are over a certain weight they charge even more.

Carnival is under pressure from their board of directors to increase on board spending. Here is one way they are doing it. Increase in cheers, bubbles, excursions, and photography are other ways to do it.  

I think that this new policy will definitely eliminate a lot of food waste. It will also eliminate a lot of people ordering room service, especially during the day when most of the included food options are open and just a short walk to the Lido deck.

• Like 1