Attire in Crown Grill

CountryCruiser

36 minutes ago, wishIwascruising said:

The dress is "smart casual".  Collared shirts for men, no shorts.  The dress is the same as the MDR I think.  We had a great dinner at the Crown Grill.

Agreed.

Be comfortable. 

Men wear a collared shirt so no t-shirts.  Polo shirts etc are permissible.  Pants for men including jeans but no shorts.  Women have the same basic rules with no t-shirts or shorts.  This is for all nights in the specialty restaurants.   

14 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Men wear a collared shirt so no t-shirts.  Polo shirts etc are permissible.  Pants for men including jeans but no shorts.  Women have the same basic rules with no t-shirts or shorts.  This is for all nights in the specialty restaurants.   

And for all nights in the MDR, including formal nights. (Most, but not all, would agree.)

We were on the Crown Princess 12/17 - 12/27 and I was surprised to see on the front page of the formal night Patters a dress code notice that I've never seen before:

• Formal - When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining, Anytime Dining and Specialty Restaurants (bold added)

I know in the past we frequently would book a specialty restaurant on formal night to avoid 'dressing up' but on this cruise we had brought 'formal' clothes for eating in the MDR.  In the MDR (late traditional dining) people were very nicely dressed - while there were a handful of tuxes, most men had on jackets and ties and the women were dressed in cocktail dresses or long skirts and fancy blouses.  Out of curiosity I should have walked by the Crown Grill to see how people were dressed but I didn't think of it. 

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

We were on the Crown Princess 12/17 - 12/27 and I was surprised to see on the front page of the formal night Patters a dress code notice that I've never seen before:

• Formal - When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining, Anytime Dining and Specialty Restaurants (bold added)

I know in the past we frequently would book a specialty restaurant on formal night to avoid 'dressing up' but on this cruise we had brought 'formal' clothes for eating in the MDR.  In the MDR (late traditional dining) people were very nicely dressed - while there were a handful of tuxes, most men had on jackets and ties and the women were dressed in cocktail dresses or long skirts and fancy blouses.  Out of curiosity I should have walked by the Crown Grill to see how people were dressed but I didn't think of it. 

Interesting.   We were on the Crown Oct/Nov and that was not in Patter.  
We also book specialty restaurants on formal nights so we dress nicely but not formally.  We don't bring formal clothes with us anymore.

We have gone to the specialty dining on formal nights.  I have always been amazed at the number of pax in more formal attire eating there.  While they certainly were not the majority, there were several.  The other surprising discovery has been the small number of pax who eat in the HC in formal clothes.  

12 hours ago, CountryCruiser said:

We plan to eat most dinners in buffet. But would like to do a couple of nights in Crown Grill.  In the past, we usually dress up each night and do the MDR. Don’t want to mess with nice clothes this time. What are the requirements for Crown Grill?

Casual for specialty restaurants.

46 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

If jeans are worn, they should not have holes in them.  That fashion fad is not considered smart casual attire in specialty restaurants or main dining rooms for dinner on Princess ships.

Agree 100%. And I'm a diehard black jeans proponent. 

For dinner aboard the ship either in the MDR or specialty places, I wear a black pair of jeans that have some stretch material.  Unless you are standing up close, you cannot determine they are in fact jeans.  I have worn them on formal nights as well without any problems.  I do have Levi blue jeans that are obviously jeans which I wear on the ship as well but not to the MDR.  

17 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We have gone to the specialty dining on formal nights.  I have always been amazed at the number of pax in more formal attire eating there.  While they certainly were not the majority, there were several.  The other surprising discovery has been the small number of pax who eat in the HC in formal clothes.  

I think those people just did n't want to wait on a long line for DR seating.