ANTHEM VS GRANDEUR

am deciding between these two for summer 2019.  Grandeur dates work better. Also less expensive. I am aware this is an older ship,was on it in 2006.  Have since been on navigator,jewel,enchantment and symphony.

Loved them all. Thoughts?Don't care about the ports.  Would pick inside virtual balcony on anthem, outside on grandeur. balconies untouchable on the older ships.

Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, healthworker said:

am deciding between these two for summer 2019.  Grandeur dates work better. Also less expensive. I am aware this is an older ship,was on it in 2006.  Have since been on navigator,jewel,enchantment and symphony.

Loved them all. Thoughts?Don't care about the ports.  Would pick inside virtual balcony on anthem, outside on grandeur. balconies untouchable on the older ships.

Much appreciated!

We’ve been on both. Loved the Anthem for simulated skydiving, dance hall, boleros dance club, virtual balcony, solarium, seaplex enclosed for basketball volleyball bumper cars, wonderful new ship back in 2016. Food and service were not great. 270 lounge in back was great for Zumba. Lots of fun.

Grandeur is an older ship but beloved by many repeat cruisers. Great food and service. Zumba and dancing in centrum. Older crowd. Very gracious fellow passengers from the south. Extremely friendly. 

If you’re young Anthem.

Refined older cruiser Grandeur.

Both have pluses.

We love them both for different reasons.  We have been on Anthem twice and Grandeur  6 times.  Just got off Anthem in Oct and will be boarding GR again in April.  Grandeur is a much more relaxed cruise with a fabulous staff.  Anthem is more active.

Edited by BND

I am a fan of the bigger ships. That being said, I will go on a smaller ship when there are certain ports I want to go to and not all of the bigger ships can sail to certain ports becuase of docking issues and depth of waterway issues.

31 minutes ago, BEENSAILING said:

I am a fan of the bigger ships. That being said, I will go on a smaller ship when there are certain ports I want to go to and not all of the bigger ships can sail to certain ports becuase of docking issues and depth of waterway issues.

I can't think of any place that Grandeur goes that the Anthem can't or doesn't.

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I can't think of any place that Grandeur goes that the Anthem can't or doesn't.

I was writing about larger ships - in general. The largers ships cannot go through Panama Canal, to Venice and some of the Med. ports. Just like when Royal had south American itens and the larger ships could not access certsin ports. 

4 minutes ago, BEENSAILING said:

I was writing about larger ships - in general. The largers ships cannot go through Panama Canal, to Venice and some of the Med. ports. Just like when Royal had south American itens and the larger ships could not access certsin ports. 

The OP asked about comparisons between Grandeur and Anthem.

18 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

The OP asked about comparisons between Grandeur and Anthem.

IMHO - More fun activities on the Anthem. I am a fan of iFly and I take advantage of doing it each Qunatum class cruise. The vistarama / panel shows in 270 are must sees. Kummelweck sandwich is for me a must eat at 270 cafe. Many more specialty dining restaurant options on Anthem. 

I posted same question several months back (I’m the second thread posted above haha). I found the overwhelming recommendation was for Anthem!  And I hope so, because we’re sailing on her in 16 days! Woo!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, olya1972 said:

To me GR was more like a real marine vessel while Anthem is more of a floating resort.

This ^^^^^^

I cruise for the cruise.  Not to be on a floating amusement park.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, healthworker said:

Sounds like you have your answer right there (bold and underlined)

However, if the price difference is not significant & you can make the dates work, why not try the Anthem?

I have sailed on Grandeur several times and love it.

A friend has a lot of cruises on Grandeur, and she did Anthem to try it out.  She hated it. 

Each person is different, and what they enjoy it different

I've done Anthem and Rhapsody (Grandeur's sister). We love our little Rhapsody but for the itinerary not the ship itself. The Anthem is exciting. A modern 'sexy' ship. I fly is amazing!! north star is one and done, but interesting. Seaplex with Roller Skating, bumper cars, trapeze, etc.. keep things moving. The shows are modern. Sailing out of Manhattan is spectacular. It's true that the 'promenade' can be quite crowded, but Anthem is one of favorite ships.