Flights by Celebrity-New Option

johhnnyt

FYI Flights by Celebrity- I did make my air reservations today by telephone (the website gives you incorrect much higher pricing) for the EDGE TA in Nov 1st 2019
$1081 for business class on Delta nonstop flight on October 29th JFK---->FCO (also tried on Kayak and lowest air for biz class on a main stream airline was ~$3000)
Also was told that they have a new program where you can book your air now at the rate you want, but don't have to pay until your final payment is due for the sailing.
Edited by johhnnyt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I just called, as I also want a flight on Nov. 2 and it is still over $6,500 pp business class.  I will keep checking, as I know this is rediculous now.  My flights for the spring Edge TA were just a little over 1,000 pp business one-way from LHR.  I was also given the refundable information, and it is the same 90 days like the ship...but I do not know all the specifics. However, if you cancel, you do pay a penalty of 200 pp, according to the Choice Air representative for my particular situation...interesting!  I am close to the west coast, so I expect to pay a little more than from NY.

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

So, I just called, as I also want a flight on Nov. 2 and it is still over $6,500 pp business class.  I will keep checking, as I know this is rediculous now.  My flights for the spring Edge TA were just a little over 1,000 pp business one-way from LHR.  I was also given the refundable information, and it is the same 90 days like the ship...but I do not know all the specifics. However, if you cancel, you do pay a penalty of 200 pp, according to the Choice Air representative for my particular situation...interesting!  I am close to the west coast, so I expect to pay a little more than from NY.

Just an idea

It may sound silly but have them price it on a Tues Wed or Thursday, as November 2 is a Saturday, and prices can be dramatically different for a weekend day fare vice midweek fare. When I booked my JFK-Santiago trip. It was 3x the price if I booked on a Friday-Saturday-Sunday than it was when I booked it mid week

I did check a day after and one day before,  but not a T, W or Thurs...but usually, that is when I like to fly...I will keep checking and asking questions...may even do extra leg room if necessary, but hopefully it won’t  come to that...Many thanks Johnnyt!

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I did check a day after and one day before,  but not a T, W or Thurs...but usually, that is when I like to fly...I will keep checking and asking questions...may even do extra leg room if necessary, but hopefully it won’t  come to that...Many thanks Johnnyt!

Can't hurt to look

I was thinking about it though, and the biggest issue with your situation is the time frame. I booked mine 10 months out while you are looking at booking 2 months out. Flights by Celebrity works almost like many Frequent Flyer programs do 10-11 months out they offer the best fares, as you get closer to the departure date, those less expensive fares are gone and they start to mirror the airline rack rates.

I always thought it was based on a set rate/discount for a particular route, but later learned that its tiered  so the lower fares in each cabin category are limited, rather than just some type of blanket discount rate

11 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

Can't hurt to look

I was thinking about it though, and the biggest issue with your situation is the time frame. I booked mine 10 months out while you are looking at booking 2 months out. Flights by Celebrity works almost like many Frequent Flyer programs do 10-11 months out they offer the best fares, as you get closer to the departure date, those less expensive fares are gone and they start to mirror the airline rack rates.

I always thought it was based on a set rate/discount for a particular route, but later learned that its tiered  so the lower fares in each cabin category are limited, rather than just some type of blanket discount rate

I have my tickets for April’s TA, but need then for November’s  TA.  I found a good flight for 1280...biz class, but it is on TAP Airlines and through a business and suite class only company...not good reviews for TAP!  So, the search goes on...thanks for all your help!

Edited by Lastdance

8 hours ago, johhnnyt said:
FYI Flights by Celebrity- I did make my air reservations today by telephone (the website gives you incorrect much higher pricing) for the EDGE TA in Nov 1st 2019
$1081 for business class on Delta nonstop flight on October 29th JFK---->FCO (also tried on Kayak and lowest air for biz class on a main stream airline was ~$3000)
Also was told that they have a new program where you can book your air now at the rate you want, but don't have to pay until your final payment is due for the sailing.

Just curious, what made you think to call and check the price versus what came up online?  How did you know it was incorrect online?  You've now made me wonder if the Choice Air flights I recently booked for an Azamara cruise would have been less expensive with a telephone booking.  Doubtful, as we got a fantastic price on business class seats, but I hate thinking I might have missed out on an even better price  :)

Were you able to book your seat without having to pay for the ticket now?  With river cruising, if you book through the cruise line, generally you can't select your seat unless the flight has been paid in full and ticketed; I'm not sure if that would be the case here.

9 hours ago, johhnnyt said:

Flights by Celebrity works almost like many Frequent Flyer programs do 10-11 months out they offer the best fares, as you get closer to the departure date, those less expensive fares are gone and they start to mirror the airline rack rates.

Not necessarily true of FF rates.  If the airline feels like they need to offer better redemption rates later on, they can and do.  I've seen it happen, and have taken advantage of it.   It's a myth that the best rates are only available when a flight first opens for booking.

16 hours ago, johhnnyt said:

Wow, that is a great deal!   I booked my flights thru Celebrity for my Sept 30 sailing on Reflection.   We from DTW to Barcelona with 1 stop in each direction for 605 pp. We are leaving on a Wed and returning on a Sat.    It was a good deal but I'd love to travel business class.  I called yesterday to check and current prices for Delta business class are approx 2500 pp.  I will keep checking.  I'm not sure if they'd let me upgrade without any penalties.

9 hours ago, hiccups said:

Just curious, what made you think to call and check the price versus what came up online?  How did you know it was incorrect online?  You've now made me wonder if the Choice Air flights I recently booked for an Azamara cruise would have been less expensive with a telephone booking.  Doubtful, as we got a fantastic price on business class seats, but I hate thinking I might have missed out on an even better price  🙂

Were you able to book your seat without having to pay for the ticket now?  With river cruising, if you book through the cruise line, generally you can't select your seat unless the flight has been paid in full and ticketed; I'm not sure if that would be the case here.

Biggest difference I noticed at first was every airline had the same price for the same route no matter which airline you selected, and whatever day or time you chose. I've never seen airlines from different alliances offer the same price on a flight (ie Delta v American), plus when I would click on the details on the price like in this example it would display  the breakdown of the fare as base fare $518 taxes and fees $1626.77 which made no sense. Plus I knew from previous years a first class ticket one way Delta or American from New York to Most Major cities in Europe has run in the range of $1000-1500 in the past few years, so just knew something was off about the website pricing.  When I called (the contractor that does the Air by Celebrity) and asked them they said it has had issues the last month or two with the pricing that was offered online.

BnXOQBRvBp.JPG

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Not necessarily true of FF rates.  If the airline feels like they need to offer better redemption rates later on, they can and do.  I've seen it happen, and have taken advantage of it.   It's a myth that the best rates are only available when a flight first opens for booking.

it's similar though, but because its not  a blanket discount. It is a system where the discounts are for a  limited  # of seats, so those who book earlier get them, and those who book later generally get a higher rate

23 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

Biggest difference I noticed at first was every airline had the same price for the same route no matter which airline you selected, and whatever day or time you chose. I've never seen airlines from different alliances offer the same price on a flight (ie Delta v American), plus when I would click on the details on the price like in this example it would display  the breakdown of the fare as base fare $518 taxes and fees $1626.77 which made no sense. Plus I knew from previous years a first class ticket one way Delta or American from New York to Most Major cities in Europe has run in the range of $1000-1500 in the past few years, so just knew something was off about the website pricing.  When I called (the contractor that does the Air by Celebrity) and asked them they said it has had issues the last month or two with the pricing that was offered online.

BnXOQBRvBp.JPG

Wow, yes, that would be a sign something's off!  I've never seen that.  Even for our upcoming X cruise, though, I priced via the Choice Air website because you can choose any of the three RCI cruise lines.  The screen shot you've shown from Flights by Celebrity is a little easier to read than Choice Air, IMO.

40 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

it's similar though, but because its not  a blanket discount. It is a system where the discounts are for a  limited  # of seats, so those who book earlier get them, and those who book later generally get a higher rate

You're not understanding.  Airlines CAN and DO replenish the inventory of lower mileage seats IF their algorithms call for it.  It's all based on supply and demand, and is NOT simply a matter of "we will release X number of low redemption seats on the day we open the flight and that is all we will ever release for that flight."   And that's assuming they always offer some seats at the lowest redemption rate on day 1.  Some airlines may do that, but it isn't an across the board practice.

19 hours ago, johhnnyt said:

We are on that same TA, at least until I absolutely get cold feet for the Edge.  You are in business class, not economy comfort, I take it.   Slightly off topic, but have you booked a hotel in Italy?  We have booked one at the San Giorgio in Civitavecchia but they are prone to canceling w/o warning so I think a change is in order.

38 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

You're not understanding.  Airlines CAN and DO replenish the inventory of lower mileage seats IF their algorithms call for it.  It's all based on supply and demand, and is NOT simply a matter of "we will release X number of low redemption seats on the day we open the flight and that is all we will ever release for that flight."   And that's assuming they always offer some seats at the lowest redemption rate on day 1.  Some airlines may do that, but it isn't an across the board practice.

True, but that's not the way seats are released/priced using the Flights by Celebrity model

8 minutes ago, BosoxI said:

We are on that same TA, at least until I absolutely get cold feet for the Edge.  You are in business class, not economy comfort, I take it.   Slightly off topic, but have you booked a hotel in Italy?  We have booked one at the San Giorgio in Civitavecchia but they are prone to canceling w/o warning so I think a change is in order.

No I haven't. Still trying to decide whether to stay in Rome or Civitavecchia prior to cruise, so waiting for friends to decide which they would prefer prior to making hotel reservations.

Personally I would prefer staying at San Giorgio  in Cvitavecchia, as I found the area around the hotel great for just walking around, but haven't been to Rome in 2-3 years so wouldn't mind that either

I recently purchased a return to SFO from Europe in Business Class.    As many posted the rates this year are crazy high ($5,000-8,000).   I also used ChoiceAir but had to do a lot of playing around before being able to find a good fare.  I started checking all European Major Cities and finally found a really good fare Non-Stop Business Class out of Frankfurt for $1,300.  I did have to buy a separate ticket from Rome to FCA for $200 (coach class).   While it is not optimum it worked for us. 

You are right about that Jim, I think a few years ago I found that just by playing with departure airport/dates made a big difference in the pricing.  JFK--->Barcelona was about $3000 business class (Delta I think), and same route going out of Newark was $1300 on the same day

1 hour ago, cruiserchuck said:

I recall years ago Celebrity let you add air to a cruise, with the ability to cancel the cruise and the air without penalty if done before final payment.

When I recently looked at flights on ChoiceAir, most flight offered could be cancelled, with a $200 fee.  

We booked Choice Air flights around the second week in December, and our flights were non-refundable, as they had been for our last two cruises.  Because we got such a good deal on business class, I've randomly been checking the prices (so I can continue pat myself on the back for getting that price, ha--luckily it has only gone up), and noticed now most of the fares are refundable.  Even though we've never needed to cancel a flight, and we buy travel insurance, that's great peace of mind.

5 hours ago, BosoxI said:

We had booked the San Georgio in Feb of 2018 for Oct 21,2018. They emailed me on Oct 20 and informed us that they were over booked and offered to book us in down the road for the same rate of approx 200 Euros. Our Conceirge in Naples called this other hotel and was able to book us in at 67 Euros. The Hotel was fully booked with mostly cancelled San Georgio guests. Most had prepaid and didn’t get the lower rate. It’s an outrage and I can’t believe they get away with this week after week. I was lucky. 

Harry 

23 hours ago, johhnnyt said:

True, but that's not the way seats are released/priced using the Flights by Celebrity model

You brought up frequent flyer tickets and that's what I'm talking about.  I have never said anything about the Flights by Celebrity model.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

You brought up frequent flyer tickets and that's what I'm talking about.  I have never said anything about the Flights by Celebrity model.

You might want to give Mr. Johhnnyt a break.

He was generous enough to post some interesting  new information concerning Celebrity Air.  Just intending to help some of us.

And yes, the miles award models have been changing for a lot of the airlines.