Bringing on wine

dog

3 minutes ago, dog said:

I understand we can bring on one bottle of wine per person to consume in our cabin when we embark.

Can it be carried on or must it be packed in our luggage?

It’s best to carry it onboard...in locked checked luggage you may need to go to the naughty room to show them it’s your fee free bottle & not spirits.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Wine has to be carried on and not put in checked luggage.  You and your adult companion (DW) is allowed two 750 ml bottles of wine to be consumed in your cabin only.  If you take it to the MDR or other facility, there will be a $15 corking fee charged.  

Now you may bring on all the 750 ml bottles of wine you can carry but will be charged a $15/bottle corking fee before boarding the ship.  They will place a sticker on the bottle signifying the corking fee has been paid and you can consume it anywhere on the ship you desire including the MDR etc.  We usually bring on a bottle for every two days and have a wine carrier to bring it aboard.

One cruise this past year Ms satxdiver forgot and left one bottle in her checked luggage.  We get on usually early and my luggage showed up in the cabin early as always while hers did not show up until around 6 PM after we had set sail.  The luggage had been opened (we don't use locks) and I imagine the wine inspected.  I expected to be hit with a $15 corking fee that never appeared on out folio however the bottle did not have the sticker on it and had to be consumed in the cabin.  Actually all our wine is consumed on the balcony watching the sea just before dinner. 

Edited by satxdiver
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, travelgal said:

How is wine handled on a B2B cruise?  Will I be allowed to bring 4 bottles of wine since it's actually 2 cruises?? 

You should be able to bring the four bottles on without corkage fee. But, have your paperwork ready for the second cruise so that you can show it to the wine police.  

As all have said the additional bottles are subject to the $15 corkage and you stop at the wine table to record the info and get your bottles labeled.  Sometimes funny things happen. On one cruise we were early Elite borders and no table had yet been set up.   Thus we took unlabeled bottles to the MDR.  Waiters varied in anytime dining.  Some filled out corkage fees, which I signed without complaint as it was appropriate, others didn’t seem to care so we drank that wine free of corkage.  Seemed to just be the luck of the draw and nothing I was trying to hide.  Of course if they did not ask me for cruise card to fill out for corkage I certainly did not volunteer.

All the posts here seem to be correct. They do prefer you hand carry your wine on board but we have found that is not a hard and fast rule and can prove to be a real pain since it takes up so much room in your hand carry’s. So we leave it in our luggage. Some time I bring extra and am prepared to pay the $15.00 per, but they have never given us any grief. Never charged us either.

I'm a wino, I love sitting on the balcony in the evening and sipping my red and watching the flying fishes play or if sail away, that is even better. So I don't have to worry about paying corkage in the MDR because my wine usually flows in the opposite direction. For instance:

We do preorder both spirits and wine. We also order spirits and wine from room service once on board. Recently though, for wine, we have begun purchasing their wine special cards, the price of a card depends on the number of bottles, they are like, a 7 bottle card, a 10 bottle card or I believe a 14 bottle card. You receive a bottle of wine for a discount depending upon the number of bottles on the card you purchased.

Say on your 7 bottle card you get any bottle up to a $45,00 p.b. for $34.00. Or, if you order a $60,00 bottle you get it for $26.00. The cards can only be punched in the dining rooms or a bar, but you simply tell the waiter what you want, say 5 bottles of such and such, delivered to my cabin. Arriving back in your cabin the 5 bottles await. Much better than room service since you get the discount. Plus, any bottle(s) in the ship's inventory can be purchased this way, without being limited to the R.S. liquor menu.  

21 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Also btw: you can bring as much wine as you like but you will pay $15 per bottle after the first two. 

Yes, that means you can bring 10 cases of wine. 

Here is a link to a doc for bringing wine on by the case. We brought three cases on our last cruise.

LINK

40 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

Is it possible to bring wine on when visiting ports without paying corkage fee as long as only two per cabin.

Here we go... the unofficial answer is...

maybe. 

That is it, maybe. Each cruise will be different. Officially the answer would be, no, for most cruises, but see above for the unofficial answer. 

42 minutes ago, candy4040 said:

Is it possible to bring wine on when visiting ports without paying corkage fee as long as only two per cabin.

You can bring a bottle each in each port. If you take them to dinner, corkage maybe accessed.

1 minute ago, neverbeenhere said:

Here we go... the unofficial answer is...

maybe. 

That is it, maybe. Each cruise will be different. Officially the answer would be, no, for most cruises, but see above for the unofficial answer. 

We have been lucky and never NOT been able to bring them on. However, we do wine tours and sometimes do not take any of the new wines to our room so would not know if they were preventing us from taking them.

5 hours ago, travelgal said:

How is wine handled on a B2B cruise?  Will I be allowed to bring 4 bottles of wine since it's actually 2 cruises?? 

Make sure you have both boarding passes with you upon initial check-in.  We've just shown those and been waved on.

Bringing wine on board in port calls is not allowed, only embarkation.  In my experience, (28 Princess cruises) you have a much better chance of bringing wine on board at port calls where the baggage x-rays on return are carried out by non-ship staff on the quayside rather than security staff at the top of the gangway. 

On our last cruise, we had a full case of wine in a cardboard box.  I taped a luggage tag onto the top of it.  We planned to carry it on but got to the ship too early.  We gave all of our bags to the porter and went off on foot to explore the city.  We boarded the ship later that afternoon.  All our bags arrived but there was still no box of wine.  We asked around and were told it would be confiscated and we would have to go pay to get it back.  That was fine, we just wanted to know that our wine was coming back to us.   Around 10 at night we walked back to our room to find a box of wine sitting by our door.  We were never charged for any of it unless we took it down to the MDR.  I'm not sure we would plan on doing that again just based on the stress of waiting for our wine and nobody knowing where it was.  It was a good ending though.

32 minutes ago, barriedavis said:

Bringing wine on board in port calls is not allowed, only embarkation.  In my experience, (28 Princess cruises) you have a much better chance of bringing wine on board at port calls where the baggage x-rays on return are carried out by non-ship staff on the quayside rather than security staff at the top of the gangway. 

We have brought wine on at port calls in France (Toulon) and San Francisco and liquor (limoncello) in Italy with no attempt to hide it.  If I remember correctly, none of those port stops even had the 'alcohol desk' after security.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barriedavis said:

I have more Princess cruises than you & have always been able to bring a bottle or two of wine from ports in Europe, North & South America and in NZ.  I never attempt to conceal the bottles & the only comment I’ve had was nice bottle of wine.  When there’s a bottle check desk they’ve been confiscating bottles of spirits to be held until the last day of the cruise.  That has been the same experience whether the scanning was done by shoreside or ship’s personnel.

In past discussions it’s been stated that Princess understands that their wine inventory is limited.  Thus they don’t prevent passengers from bringing wines onboard that are subject to the $15/bottle fee.  While I’ve never been charged for wine brought from ports, I eventually pay the fee when bringing it to a dining room.  That’s where we drink most of our wine so we either pay the fee sooner or later.

Despite your experience that wine from ports is not allowed, many of us have posted that Princess repeatedly allows it subject to the $15/bottle fee.  Hopefully you’ll have the same experience on your future Princess cruises.

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

We have brought wine on at port calls in France (Toulon) and San Francisco and liquor (limoncello) in Italy with no attempt to hide it.  If I remember correctly, none of those port stops even had the 'alcohol desk' after security.

Edited by Astro Flyer

35 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

I have more Princess cruises than you & have always been able to bring a bottle or two of wine from ports in Europe, North & South America and in NZ.  I never attempt to conceal the bottles & the only comment I’ve had was nice bottle of wine.  When there’s a bottle check desk they’ve been confiscating bottles of spirits to be held until the last day of the cruise.  That has been the same experience whether the scanning was done by shoreside or ship’s personnel.

In past discussions it’s been stated that Princess understands that their wine inventory is limited.  Thus they don’t prevent passengers from bringing wines onboard that are subject to the $15/bottle fee.  While I’ve never been charged for wine brought from ports, I eventually pay the fee when bringing it to a dining room.  That’s where we drink most of our wine so we either pay the fee sooner or later.

Despite your experience that wine from ports is not allowed, many of us have posted that Princess repeatedly allows it subject to the $15/bottle fee.  Hopefully you’ll have the same experience on your future Princess cruises.

I am sure you right and I didn't say it couldn't be done.  However, I was trying to help the original poster as someone else said that "You can bring a bottle each in each port".  The official Princess site says that the initial one bottle each is "for the voyage".  I have seen many people have their drinks taken away at the gangway and I didn't want someone to be caught out unexpectedly. 

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

That has been pretty much been our experience, during our last three months worth of voyaging on Princess, which has been overseas, in Europe and the Pacific. We have never had a problem with bringing wine on board at any port and quantities weren't restricted. When the ship has a bottle check desk, which is rare, except for our initial embarkation one free bottle p.p., I'm prepared to pay the 15.00 p.b.

However, if contract personnel are operating the security screening shoreside it appears to me they are told not to worry about liquor, even spirits. In addition, if contract personnel are doing the security screening, more often than not all the ship personnel are doing is checking you back on board and verifying your ship I.D., no ship board second security screening or bottle check desk, they could care less if you have booze.  But, if ship personnel are operating security screening, even without a bottle check desk, then you better be careful with spirits.