CHEERS & HALF MOON CAY ?

Cruisegirl6

2 minutes ago, KimEadler said:

We are purchasing the Cheers package.  Do you think my husband and I would be able to order a couple mimosas in the morning on the ship, transfer them to a thermos, and 5 minutes later order a couple more mimosas to put in the thermos?  Would I be able to take the thermos to Half Moon Cay?

Yes, you could do that.

8 minutes ago, KimEadler said:

We are purchasing the Cheers package.  Do you think my husband and I would be able to order a couple mimosas in the morning on the ship, transfer them to a thermos, and 5 minutes later order a couple more mimosas to put in the thermos?  Would I be able to take the thermos to Half Moon Cay?

Yes, that is not breaking any of the rules.  Go for it!

We went in October. We had the drink card. You cannot use it on the island, but, what you can do is get a few beers apiece the day before (do not open). Take them to your room, ask your room steward to keep ice in your soft cooler(that you bring in your luggage) and put them in that.  Then just take your cooler on the island with you the next morning. Just don’t forget to take a bottle opener. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2019 at 4:27 PM, 1025cruise said:

HMC is owned by Holland America, not by Carnival. Carnival only uses it when its available. Holland America gets first dibs.

There's a simple reason Cheers isn't available. All orders are written down, not put in a computer, so there's no way to track usage on the island. They aren't put into the computer until everyone is back on the ship.

Writing orders down and charging them to your Sail and Sign account after the fact sounds like there is an opening for accounting errors.  Has anyone experienced "over charges" on their account from Half Moon Cay purchases?  

2 minutes ago, BeakerR said:

Writing orders down and charging them to your Sail and Sign account after the fact sounds like there is an opening for accounting errors.  Has anyone experienced "over charges" on their account from Half Moon Cay purchases?  

Nope.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, KimEadler said:

This is what I’ll be doing except with patron and a water bottle.   Is it because I’m a drunk? No, but every penny saved counts when you have student loans still being paid off 😁

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 1:32 PM, KimEadler said:

This applies to any Cheers beverage- there are bars open where you can get more than mimosas at that hour...

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 3:27 PM, 1025cruise said:

HMC is owned by Holland America, not by Carnival. Carnival only uses it when its available. Holland America gets first dibs.

There's a simple reason Cheers isn't available. All orders are written down, not put in a computer, so there's no way to track usage on the island. They aren't put into the computer until everyone is back on the ship.

I believe that is because the computer system on Half Moon Cay is Holland America's computer System which is different from Carnival's computer system. They might bring some terminals/cash registers from the ship to put orders in and manage,  but they are operating stand alone and not communicating with the ship for Cheers information.  Just my assessment, but not worth arguing about. 

On 1/13/2019 at 12:44 PM, sapphire_407 said:

Half Moon Cay has the most beautiful water, clear as a bell.  I wouldn't miss it.

I cannot wait! I will be sailing to there next year, and will be there twice on my B2B on the Magic. Can someone tell me if there are umbrellas available, or are all the loungers out in the sun? We desperately want to go there, but we need shade. No sitting in the sun for long for this couple! Hubby is fair skinned, a redhead in his younger days (when he had hair! Lol!) and he burns even with the highest spf sunscreen (I buy spf 60-70)

37 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I cannot wait! I will be sailing to there next year, and will be there twice on my B2B on the Magic. Can someone tell me if there are umbrellas available, or are all the loungers out in the sun? We desperately want to go there, but we need shade. No sitting in the sun for long for this couple! Hubby is fair skinned, a redhead in his younger days (when he had hair! Lol!) and he burns even with the highest spf sunscreen (I buy spf 60-70)

I would definitely rent a clam shell as soon as you get to the beach area. There is an area just as you enter the beach where you can rent one.  It made our entire day enjoyable.  I believe it was $20 and includes two beach lounge chairs. The water is absolutely beautiful.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would definitely rent a clam shell as soon as you get to the beach area. There is an area just as you enter the beach where you can rent one.  It made our entire day enjoyable.  I believe it was $20 and includes two beach lounge chairs. The water is absolutely beautiful.  

Thank you! 👍

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would not knowingly drag up an old post.....  be happy to read your VIsta review (love all reviews and doing them if you read my Oasis review).  Totally up front question (really trying to keep it up scale and above the weeds), if you feel so strongly on the clientele, then why be here at all?  Obviously as you mention, you can speak with your wallet and that says more (to Carnival) then words posted here (especially on a Carnival board).  If you feel strongly that most of the clientele that sails these ships are pond scum then turn around, walk away and be done with it.  For the record, on my last Carnival cruise on the Breeze, there were many smokers, and I have allergy based asthma that this causes havoc with, so I cannot argue the smoking point.  I have no idea on drug activity on the ships, on a rare event (for the record experienced it on the Oasis as well) we smelled pot.  All that said my question about being here stands, why be here?

Honestly, I am rarely on the Carnival boards anymore.  The only reason I responded to this thread was I got an email notification today about it.  I’m not a frequent poster on CC, as you can tell from my post count.  However, when I feel strongly about something (such as my 8/18 Vista cruise) I do like to speak up.  I am very disenchanted with Carnival and actually very disappointed to see what my once-favorite cruise line has been reduced to.

I am just making a generalization when I say Carnival clientele are low-class.  This is of course not true of EVERY Carnival cruiser.  I guess I’ve just outgrown the drunken frat party scene, and I’m OK with that.  I travel a lot with children, and just don’t want to be exposed to fist-fights, pot smoke, twerking, constant f-bombs, etc.  Our next cruise is on Disney, go figure.

When I see news headlines that concern Carnival, I may come over to CC and peruse these boards. An example recently is the people in the elevator that are now banned from Carnival.

2 hours ago, JinxyB said:

Honestly, I am rarely on the Carnival boards anymore.  The only reason I responded to this thread was I got an email notification today about it.  I’m not a frequent poster on CC, as you can tell from my post count.  However, when I feel strongly about something (such as my 8/18 Vista cruise) I do like to speak up.  I am very disenchanted with Carnival and actually very disappointed to see what my once-favorite cruise line has been reduced to.

I am just making a generalization when I say Carnival clientele are low-class.  This is of course not true of EVERY Carnival cruiser.  I guess I’ve just outgrown the drunken frat party scene, and I’m OK with that.  I travel a lot with children, and just don’t want to be exposed to fist-fights, pot smoke, twerking, constant f-bombs, etc.  Our next cruise is on Disney, go figure.

When I see news headlines that concern Carnival, I may come over to CC and peruse these boards. An example recently is the people in the elevator that are now banned from Carnival.

Thanks for the reply, I guess we view things differently.

It's not ridiculous to think that cheers would cover drinks on HMC, especially since other lines do it. Also the technology to link the drinks to the ship's accounts could be installed on a day. The only reason they don't, like somebody else pointed out, is that it benefits them not to

7 minutes ago, hotsauce126 said:

It's not ridiculous to think that cheers would cover drinks on HMC, especially since other lines do it. Also the technology to link the drinks to the ship's accounts could be installed on a day. The only reason they don't, like somebody else pointed out, is that it benefits them not to

No. The only reason they may not do it was as I pointed it in an example of NCL’s Harvest Caye. They don’t own the island, they only develop it for their use. I try to explain this to many people when they complain that their drink packages don’t work somewhere, especially at the very beautiful, and exclusive to NCL ships, Harvest Caye. I have no issue with this, if the profits of sales actually help the economy of the very poor countries that most of these islands/private beaches are associated with. Now, I have no knowledge as to whether Carnival actually owns Half Moon Cay, and they might, but the usual case of not allowing a drink package is for the reason I pointed out.

On 1/13/2019 at 12:48 PM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Thanks but the weather there is under 80 degrees certainly for us living in Florida that is too cold to go in.  On another note your right I be missing out looking at that beautiful water, I guess I play it be ear now that you brought that in my mind.

It is currently a balmy 27 out with a fresh coating of 6 inches of snow that fell yesterday. Definitely under 80!

13 hours ago, JinxyB said:

18 cruises with Carnival and I have yet to witness this type of crowd. But of course I might be too low-class to have paid enough attention. I think it would be better if you kept your appearances on this board even more infrequent. 

38 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Now, I have no knowledge as to whether Carnival actually owns Half Moon Cay, and they might...

Here's your Fun (Convoluted) Fact of the Day:  Technically, Carnival does not own HMC.  Holland America Line has a 99-year lease on it, signed in 1996.  However, as we all know, Carnival Corp owns HAL.  So it amounts to about the same as Carnival owns HMC.:classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

No. The only reason they may not do it was as I pointed it in an example of NCL’s Harvest Caye. They don’t own the island, they only develop it for their use. I try to explain this to many people when they complain that their drink packages don’t work somewhere, especially at the very beautiful, and exclusive to NCL ships, Harvest Caye. I have no issue with this, if the profits of sales actually help the economy of the very poor countries that most of these islands/private beaches are associated with. Now, I have no knowledge as to whether Carnival actually owns Half Moon Cay, and they might, but the usual case of not allowing a drink package is for the reason I pointed out.

Yes. Carnival Corp owns HMC so sales on HMC go to Carnival Corp and only Carnival Corp. It doesn't benefit the Bahamas.

4 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

they could set up a wireless server in an hour. I have a wireless booster that could easily reach the ship from the island, the booster was $20. This is not a technology issue. 

21 hours ago, JinxyB said:

Hmmm....let’s see. I am just off Harmony of the Seas with 6000+ fellow passengers. I saw a total of ONE sloppy drunk the entire week. No twerking, body parts spilling out of too-small clothing, no smell of marijuana everywhere, no lewd and violent music blasting from Bluetooth speakers, etc.  I’m sure I won’t be missed and I’m ok with that,

.....and I've had pretty much the same experience on my last 10 Carnival cruises along with the 1/2 dozen or so on RCCL and the 4 on NCL.  I observed none of the things you claim are commonplace, not on Carnival or any other cruise line for that matter, your claims are so out of the ordinary it is like you are sailing a different line.  The rowdiest group I observed was on a RCCL cruise last summer and even then it wasn't really over the line, just a college aged group who traveled together.

As I said earlier, I have ran across those who did not handle themselves well in public on every type of vacation imaginable from cruises, to mountain cabins to beach condos.  They certainly aren't isolated to one cruise line like you claim.