Eden Silverware, sanitary?

Stateroom_Sailor

Eden silverware appears to be held in a drawer inside the dining tables.  Judging by the picture and limited silverware, I assume that it is all replaced after each meal.  Still, this seems like a sanitation problem if everyone is reaching into the same compartments, and we know that quite a few people don't wash their hands after using the potty!  Hopefully it is properly sanitized, but I just prefer my silverware inside of a napkin, or on an easy to clean surface.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.04.21 AM.png

You have a valid concern, to be sure, and quite possibly you would be a candidate to bring your own eating utensils from another venue or request a set-up to conform to your desires, if you choose to eat there.

Especially since we do not know if this access is for everyone who is eating in Eden or for each diner, or do you know? If for each diner, your concern is in how many individuals touch the service before being placed in the drawer and how they do it? Gloves or etc.??

Personally, I know X has a process in place to 'properly' sanitize all of its eating and drinking service items. Will something get overlooked from time to time, you bet. Same for most any other venue on-board and especially OVC.

Reminds me of one close friend who always brings sanitizing wipes on every sailing they take and wipe down all silverware before eating. I can only smile and think that I will trust that others traveling with us will not get sick from not wiping down our eating utensils.. and so far, never happened. (knock on wood, but it only takes one time.)

bon voyage

I don’t think the problem is the utensils being sanitary. My concern would be is the drawer and the storage area sanitized after each use? Everyone reaching into the drawer to get silverware is touching the drawer and the dividers within the drawer. The table gets a new tablecloth and silverware with each use but what about the drawer?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rhblake said:

I don’t think the problem is the utensils being sanitary. My concern would be is the drawer and the storage area sanitized after each use? Everyone reaching into the drawer to get silverware is touching the drawer and the dividers within the drawer. The table gets a new tablecloth and silverware with each use but what about the drawer?

Exactly what I'm referring to, the drawer itself, which could contaminate both your hands and the utensils placed within it.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I have to say that I thought the same thing. I took my napkin and wiped down all of my silverware as I took them out of the drawer (since friction helps in reducing microbes). Luckily I was in a dark corner and was able to do it discretely. 🙂

I then thought that they likely have strict rules onboard to reduce the chance of a Noro outbreak so probably wash all silverware left over and wipe out the drawer between people.

Edited by vtcruising

Yes it is different. After handling the OVC tongs, I use my personal bottle of Purell to sanitize my hands before eating. In the MDR, I Purell after handling the menu and before picking up my utensils. I expect those utensils to not have been handled by any other passengers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Pleasant thought?  Maybe a little slobber from the previous Spring Break cruise, from a fidgety drunk who can't leave the drawer alone.

That would be me....

bon voyage

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Exactly what I'm referring to, the drawer itself, which could contaminate both your hands and the utensils placed within it.

I agree. Hard to tell if the drawer is lined and if so with what. Is the staff that is responsible for the set up between guests cleaning (sanitizing) the drawer each time. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Is this in every main dining room?  No way are those drawers sanitized after each diner, just like the chairs and menus aren’t.  If they are wiped down, the same dirty rag is being repeatedly used. 

Terrible idea. Thanks for posting. 

OMG!  I thought about all your comments while reading the OP's post.  I will never book this ship because of that feature.  They make us use the hand sanitizer all the time, but I see more unsanitary practices by the crew and staff than passengers, however, I have seen passengers do some very unsanitary things at the buffet!

On 1/15/2019 at 3:45 PM, jasm8449 said:

Yes it is different. After handling the OVC tongs, I use my personal bottle of Purell to sanitize my hands before eating. In the MDR, I Purell after handling the menu and before picking up my utensils. I expect those utensils to not have been handled by any other passengers. 

And that is why people are much more prone to illnesses nowadays. They completely destroy their immunity system.

• Like 1

That arrangement does seem to present a sanitation problem.  However, since the USPH is involved with the construction of a ship that is going to follow the VSP (as all cruise ships home porting in the US do), it must have been addressed.  My only thought is that the entire drawer is taken out between guests, and a new drawer with the flatware already placed in it by crew with gloves is installed.

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That arrangement does seem to present a sanitation problem.  However, since the USPH is involved with the construction of a ship that is going to follow the VSP (as all cruise ships home porting in the US do), it must have been addressed.  My only thought is that the entire drawer is taken out between guests, and a new drawer with the flatware already placed in it by crew with gloves is installed.

You have a lifetime of experience and I respect your opinion, but I find it inconceivable that the drawer is replaced between guests by crew with gloves.  I'll be interested to hear from people that have been on the Edge if this replacement occurs.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 5:02 PM, JFontaine said:

Is this in every main dining room?  No way are those drawers sanitized after each diner, just like the chairs and menus aren’t.  If they are wiped down, the same dirty rag is being repeatedly used. 

Terrible idea. Thanks for posting. 

Perhaps it's just like McDonalds.  Instead of washing the trays they just put a clean piece of paper on the tray (and then stack a dirty tray on top of the clean paper.  Perhaps they will change a liner between diners.

12 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You have a lifetime of experience and I respect your opinion, but I find it inconceivable that the drawer is replaced between guests by crew with gloves.  I'll be interested to hear from people that have been on the Edge if this replacement occurs.

Doesn't sound like the most practical solution, which would create quite a bulky mess to clean in the kitchen.  They would opt for napkins on the table instead.  Has anyone actually witness a wooden drawer swap in a restaurant on land?

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Maybe it's time we bring our own latex gloves to handle the utensils and take it off before we eat. 

You can never be too careful with latex gloves and purell.  I just lick an elevator button after dinner for good measure, to balance out my immune system. 😛

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I didn't say it was practical, or logical, just that it would be one way to meet the sanitation requirements.  I don't think that even a quick "wipe out" with a sanitizing solution would be acceptable.  Will be interesting to see when Edge gets her first in service USPH inspection, as this requires witnessing an actual meal service, and any problems with these drawers or the way it is handled between guests would come to light.

From the photo, it doesn't look like the drawer is wood, is it?  If it is a wood drawer, that becomes another problem, as wood surfaces, particularly with corners and such, are notoriously hard to sanitize, and I would not believe USPH would allow flatware to lie unprotected on a wood surface like that.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1