Notary public onboard?

BajagirlMB

Does anyone know if there are notaries public on Celebrity vessels and if so how they work? I have a last minute need to have my signature notarized on some documents on a day we will be AT SEA. Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, BajagirlMB said:

Does anyone know if there are notaries public on Celebrity vessels and if so how they work? I have a last minute need to have my signature notarized on some documents on a day we will be AT SEA. Thanks for your help!

Hi, I'm the one who originally asked the same question on the thread that was linked above.   What we ended up doing was a limited power of attorney with a family member to sign the documents.   It really wasn't that difficult & took care of the problem.  Hope this helps.  

Glad to hear you found a solution. 

Agree with others that a notary may only notarize within the state or jurisdiction where commissioned.   There are however certain individuals commissioned by the State Department who can notarize at embassies and military  

Notarizing officers at any US Embassy or Consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary and then have the document authenticated for use in the United States.

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Glad to hear you found a solution. 

Agree with others that a notary may only notarize within the state or jurisdiction where commissioned.   There are however certain individuals commissioned by the State Department who can notarize at embassies and military  

Notarizing officers at any US Embassy or Consulate abroad can provide a service similar to the functions of a notary public in the United States. It is also possible to have a document notarized by a local foreign notary and then have the document authenticated for use in the United States.

Having lived in Mexico in an area with a large embassy staff, do not even consider using them or a foreign notary.  

1.  They work limited days and times.  Even if You turn up on the right day,  You can wait hours to get it done.  If the line is too long and it's closing time, you're outta luck.  

2.  I've known cases where US organizations refuse to accept those notorazed documents.  They shouldn't, but some places don't know it.

Do yourself a BIG favor and use a limited power of attorney.  Then, relax and enjoy your cruise.  (PS - if this is a real estate transaction, you're realtor is likely to offer to do this.  I would respectfully say no and find someone else.  Nothing wrong with realtors - I use them and think they are necessary in almost all buy/sell RE transactions, but in this situation, they really aren't an objective, unaffected party.)