Packing Tips for Alaska Please

sailing sue

Boots or running shoes? Depends on what you are doing. If you are staying in town or on the ship running shoes are fine, but if you are getting out into the woods, or on a glacier boots are a must.

6 hours ago, sailing sue said:

This will be my first time cruising to Alaska from Vancouver in September. Do you have any tips on what to pack? Would I need boots or will running shoes be ok? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Since there is a lot of rain in Alaska (it is in a temperate rain forest) a weatherproof long jacket is important.  Dress in layers with lightweight long underwear for cold excursions on fast-moving boats, waterproofed shoes (hiking or running shoes unless you are getting off of the trails), gloves, poncho (kept in a backpackfor excursions), warm shirts, hat, maybe earmuffs, sweater, and warm hat so that layers can be removed and moved to your backpack as the temperature rises.  Add a few polo shirts just in case the weather starts out warm.

We sailed in September and the tip to dress in layers with a waterproof outer is the best advice you can take.  As for boots vs shoes - I wore waterproof hiking boots and my wife wore sneakers that she spray waterproofed.  We had rain in Juneau and Sitka and she was comfortable and dry (we also had rain pants).  Also got closer to Nugget Falls at Mendenhall than most others.

In Ketchikan, it was sunny and warm enough that we didn't need a jacket.

Agree with what has already been posted.

We sailed from Vancouver in Sept and it was sunny and 70s for the first half and 50ish and raining for the second half. But there's no way of knowing for sure what your weather will be like.

I took:

One pair of waterproof Columbia sneakers (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01015TXGU) and one pair of comfy Skechers sneakers that I waterproofed myself and those worked for everything. 

Base top layers, t-shirts, sweatshirts, a fleece, and a good waterproof outer shell w/hood and just customized each day as necessary.

Also several pairs of Columbia waterproof or fast dry pants that I could wear over a lower base layer as well. I knew wet jeans would suck and I think I took only a couple pair for our whole trip.

Edited by onlineangel
typo