Iona Construction ?

jaydee6969

See  she is doing some high speed turns hope the pools are empty or it will be swishing over the sides .I remember once we were on oriana coming out of Gibraltar and she turned very sharply and the water from the rear pool overflowed and went down the steps soaking some passenger coming up the stairs . Guess it's part of the tests to see how she can be turned around in an emergency situation  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bin man said:

See  she is doing some high speed turns hope the pools are empty or it will be swishing over the sides .I remember once we were on oriana coming out of Gibraltar and she turned very sharply and the water from the rear pool overflowed and went down the steps soaking some passenger coming up the stairs . Guess it's part of the tests to see how she can be turned around in an emergency situation  

The maritime equivalent of hand brake turns I suppose.  Yesterday she was hitting 21.9 knots.  Just a shame that when you test a drive a car, the dealer won't let you put your foot to the floor like that!

40 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

The maritime equivalent of hand brake turns I suppose.  Yesterday she was hitting 21.9 knots.  Just a shame that when you test a drive a car, the dealer won't let you put your foot to the floor like that!

With Iona I guess " step on the gas " is quite appropriate 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if Iona will come newly minted with various alterations to facilitate the 'new normal' of cruising, whatever that is 😵

Behind the scene stuff like changing the galleys to make waiter service easier where there was none before

• Like 1

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

I wonder if Iona will come newly minted with various alterations to facilitate the 'new normal' of cruising, whatever that is 😵

Behind the scene stuff like changing the galleys to make waiter service easier where there was none before

There is a set spec that will have been agreed with the ship yard. Changes due to Covid will need implementation once handed over to P&O.

Just now, majortom10 said:

Apparently P&O are refusing to take delivery of Iona and that has an effect on Meyer Werft because obviously arent paid until delivery. Ominous worries for the reason why P&O are refusing delivery of Iona.

I guess its the same principal as to holding back refunds, keeping money in their own account. 

They don't need the ship until at least October, so why take delivery and pay now. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

I guess its the same principal as to holding back refunds, keeping money in their own account. 

They don't need the ship until at least October, so why take delivery and pay now. 

Andy 

Unless of course they found something wrong when it went into dry dock in Rotterdam. There were rumours she might have damaged her bow thrusters when her lines broke in Bremerhaven. Dont know if the visit to Rotterdam was planned as part of the build  but seeems strange built at Bremerhaven then sail to Rotterdam and then go back to Bremerhaven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Apparently P&O are refusing to take delivery of Iona and that has an effect on Meyer Werft because obviously arent paid until delivery. Ominous worries for the reason why P&O are refusing delivery of Iona.

But do we know if this is truth or rumour? I have seen two articles, one of which says there is "no guarantee" that P&O will take her before they resume operations and another that says "P&O has refused to accept her". Which one is more accurate....????

5 minutes ago, Britboys said:

But do we know if this is truth or rumour? I have seen two articles, one of which says there is "no guarantee" that P&O will take her before they resume operations and another that says "P&O has refused to accept her". Which one is more accurate....????

I agree.I saw the post on another website that stated that P and O had refused to take delivery of Iona but couldn t find any information to substantiate the claim.

Edited by ann141

P&O will take delivery once the ship is finished on spec and snagged - i.e. perfect. Anyone who has been on a maiden before may have noticed snagging still to be done.

Carnival recently publicly confirmed all finance for new ship still in place. New ships are financed a bit like house mortgages, so it’s separate to main group cash flow.

Ship yard about to go on three week lay-up to conserve cash hence official delay to August. Additionally, worldwide organisations that certify new ships as safety compliant aren’t doing assessments so therefore handover can’t happen.

Finally, yes, bow thrusters were replaced. The pictures are out there but I don’t think I can post one here.

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Unless of course they found something wrong when it went into dry dock in Rotterdam. There were rumours she might have damaged her bow thrusters when her lines broke in Bremerhaven. Dont know if the visit to Rotterdam was planned as part of the build  but seeems strange built at Bremerhaven then sail to Rotterdam and then go back to Bremerhaven.

Bow thrusters have already been replaced in Rotterdam, this is done and no issue anymore.

Ship was built in Papenburg, not Bremerhaven. Only dry docks big enough for her in the area are in Rotterdam and Hamburg, hence to go there in case of issues is standard procedure.

8 hours ago, molecrochip said:

P&O will take delivery once the ship is finished on spec and snagged - i.e. perfect. Anyone who has been on a maiden before may have noticed snagging still to be done.

Carnival recently publicly confirmed all finance for new ship still in place. New ships are financed a bit like house mortgages, so it’s separate to main group cash flow.

Ship yard about to go on three week lay-up to conserve cash hence official delay to August. Additionally, worldwide organisations that certify new ships as safety compliant aren’t doing assessments so therefore handover can’t happen.

Finally, yes, bow thrusters were replaced. The pictures are out there but I don’t think I can post one here.

Reassuring to read.

Even if she is isn't delivered until mid August that's fourish weeks of mooring fees or swinging off Weymouth/Bournemouth whilst not generating any income.  As much as we like to think that these ships are here for our enjoyment, they are really here to make money.

The information I have seen suggests she is delayed until the end of August at present. If that is the case, she would have 6 plus weeks of not bringing in any revenue. That said however, of course once she is delivered, P&O will need time to fully staff her and get staff trained for all the new technology and procedures specifically related to Iona plus any procedures relating to Covid-19.