Volendam notes

FredT

Just back from a 15 day Panama Canal cruise, and I thought I might make a few random comments about the Volendam (Third time aboard her over 8 years)

1)  Her overall condition was excellent, with a very few things showing her age.  

2)  Nice to see cold towels and cool drinks be offered pierside at each port.  Thats been missing the last couple HAL cruises.

3)  Along the same vein, It put a smile on my face to see that the "days of the week" mats were back in the elevators... 

4)  Sad to see the library withering away.  Fewer and fewer books, and surprisingly almost nothing in the "take a book, leave a book" section.

5) Surprised to see the menu in the MDR was as "short" as it was each night, with few choices,  and less variety than we have seen in the past.  

6) In contrast, the selection (and quality) of the LIDO was better than in the past, perhaps as good as I have ever seen on a Mass Market cruise ship.

7)  Only saw one "cabin issue"  (No madam, you may NOT put that down the toilet")   and I was very surprised and pleased with the speed and efficiency that both engineering and guest services handled the situation for all three staterooms effected.  

8)  Entertainment on board was horrible (as usual) with the exception of the piano guy, who packed the house every night.  Lectures and other "enrichment" on the other hand excelled.  

9)  Cruise Director  (Young guy named Justin) was great

10)  English captain (On his final cruise before retirement ) was also great.  Made himself available, answered questions, and was a fountain of information.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andi Land said:

Thank you! Going on the Volendam for an Alaska cruise this summer. 

Me too for the first time on the Volendam. Glad to hear good comments from the OP; but sorry the library is deteriorating but we know HAL has no interest in libraries anymore.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review!  We will be on the Volendam for 30 days in November heading for the Amazon.  She is the substitute for the Prinsendam  on that itinerary.  We have sailed the Volendam in Alaska and were pleased!

Did you use Room service for breakfast?...is it still the modified menu..."Classic", " Continental"...etc. hate the new menu. 

Karen

We also just got off this cruise and we had a great time!

I agree with most of your observations but will add the following, in response to 5, 6 & 8.

#5 & 6 We loved the Lido buffet for dinner and setting outside on the back deck, with beautiful sunsets.  We only ate one evening in the dining room and we were disappointed. My husband loved the steaks, prime rib and filet mignon that were served in the Lido.

#8 We actually enjoyed the entertainment. We loved the Adagio group and the Oceans Lounge Trio. The stage shows were decent and the comedian was very funny! Frankly, we passed on the piano guy.

Edited by Coolcruise02
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

We were on the Veendam and her library is just as sad.  BUT, I discovered they were putting the put one take one books in shelves marked travel.  Happened to see another cruiser looking and commenting "here they are".  Not a good selection as I think most people didn't think they could leave them anywhere.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We've done three cruises on the Volendam and love her size.  Good to hear she's still doing well.  I think more and more people are using e-readers these days and I think that's one reason the libraries are being downsized.  I read all my books on a library app I have - a lot less bulky for travel.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2019 at 2:25 AM, anandaindonesia said:

Thank you. Will be on Volendam to Alaska 22nd May this year. Surprised to see very little pontings about her.

No roll call for our sailing 😊

There is only 1 person that posted a roll call for May 22nd sailing.  It was quite a long time ago.  I am on that sailing but did not join the roll call as we are with friends who do not do the "Meet & Greet" so I passed on joining.

Thank you for posting about the Volendam.  We are doing an Alaskan cruise on her on May 22nd and are really looking forward to it.  We haven't cruised for about 2 years and I have missed it.  About a month to go....YAY!