Serving alcohol to a 18 year old

mondas42

Hi, I have a quick question, our daughter turned 18 in January and therefore over here in the UK she can legally buy a drink in a bar. We are going on HOS this July, sailing from Port Canaveral to the Caribbean. I know that the legal drinking age is 21 in the States, but whilst on the ship and when she is dinning with us in the evening would she be allowed a glass of wine with her food? I know she can’t order anything at the bar, but just wondered if she was allowed when with us? Thanks.

1 minute ago, mondas42 said:

Hi, I have a quick question, our daughter turned 18 in January and therefore over here in the UK she can legally buy a drink in a bar. We are going on HOS this July, sailing from Port Canaveral to the Caribbean. I know that the legal drinking age is 21 in the States, but whilst on the ship and when she is dinning with us in the evening would she be allowed a glass of wine with her food? I know she can’t order anything at the bar, but just wondered if she was allowed when with us? Thanks.

If you give it to her. She is not allowed to order it from the staff. 

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

She's not allowed to drink it.  Her parents giving it to her does not change that.  It's 21 to purchase or consume.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Doesn’t make any difference - she cannot drink - parents could face problems for supplying alcohol to a minor.

many of the Caribbean ports have a lower legal drinking age. She could drink on shore.

45 minutes ago, BND said:

She's not allowed to drink it.  Her parents giving it to her does not change that.  It's 21 to purchase or consume.

41 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Doesn’t make any difference - she cannot drink - parents could face problems for supplying alcohol to a minor.

many of the Caribbean ports have a lower legal drinking age. She could drink on shore.

No argument and I realize legally by the cruise contract under 21 on US based cruises  are not allowed to purchase drinks or even drink. I also believe and  have read on CC (RC and Celebrity forums) that parents will let their underage kid(s) drink with them (lounges, dining venues) and no staff member has ever called them out on it. 

Edited by davekathy

It's up to the cruiseline once out of US waters. NCL allows parents/guardians to grant permission for 18-20 to drink when out of US waters.  I suspect RCL just doesn't want to have to deal with that and the hoops that go with it.

21 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No argument and I realize legally by the cruise contract under 21 on US based cruises  are not allowed to purchase drinks or even drink. I also believe and  have read on CC (RC and Celebrity forums) that parents will let their underage kid(s) drink with them (lounges, dining venues) and no staff member has ever called them out on it. 

21 minutes ago, Rasvar said:

It's up to the cruiseline once out of US waters. NCL allows parents/guardians to grant permission for 18-20 to drink when out of US waters.  I suspect RCL just doesn't want to have to deal with that and the hoops that go with it.

My recollection is that RC really tightened up their policy after a number of serious incidents involving intoxicated younger passengers.  RC used to allow parents to sign a waiver for 18-20 year-olds but changed the policy.  Don’t remember when it changed.  I know my college-aged, but under 21 kids, were able to drink with us.  I think there was a court case involving a family who were removed from the ship and then sued. 

Thanks all, as I thought. We don’t drink during the day so we won’t be drinking in any of the ports and we only have the odd drink in the evening, we just wondered about with a meal as over in the uk, a 16 year old can have a small drink (not spirits) with a meal if accompanied by adults in a restaurant. No big deal however for us.

1 hour ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

My recollection is that RC really tightened up their policy after a number of serious incidents involving intoxicated younger passengers.  RC used to allow parents to sign a waiver for 18-20 year-olds but changed the policy.  Don’t remember when it changed.  I know my college-aged, but under 21 kids, were able to drink with us.  I think there was a court case involving a family who were removed from the ship and then sued. 

Agree, remember both. Been a few yrs(12?) when change happened, there was multiple stories of underage drinking. Know while on a Royal ship my Ex-wife was warned not to share her Alcoholic drink with her 18yr old Step Daughter

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I don't have a dog in this fight so I could care less. But I also don't wear blinders either. I realize my comment isn't inline with RCCLs policy and wouldn't be a popular one with most here on CC and I own up to it.  But I said it and IMO it still happens. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Royal USED to allow parents to sign a waiver for BEER AND WINE ONLY. My son was 18 and got to do that for 1 cruise before that changed to the 21 and older on all alcohol. As many have stated she will be able to purchase and consume in ports as the drinking age is only 18. While it's a long shot on getting caught giving it to her on the ship, it's not worth the risk. Have a fun cruise!

1 hour ago, mondas42 said:

we just wondered about with a meal as over in the uk, a 16 year old can have a small drink (not spirits) with a meal if accompanied by adults in a restaurant. 

Never heard of that rule before.

I can recall in the 70's drinking cider with my parents. Didnt realise there was legiaslation covering this.

Learn something every day.

Edited by Magnetchief

4 minutes ago, Magnetchief said:

I can recall in the 70's drinking cider with my parents. Didnt realise there was legiaslation covering this.

They can have a beer, cider or glass of wine with a meal when with an adult. Can’t buy it themselves though. And no spirits,.

If you order a bottle of wine with dinner.... No questions will be asked. This is because only 1 person will be signing for the bottle of wine. Not buying a drink individually so cruise card doesn't need to be shown. Your head waiter  will happily pour to anyone at table.  Done this numerous times with my teenage daughters. Enjoy

Edited by lcpagejr

15 hours ago, Magnetchief said:

Almost every state has slightly different laws regarding this, but most allow it.  A lot of people, including police, assume you can't drink alcohol under the age of 21, but that's not the case.  Most allow for underage drinking so long as it's for religious/education purposes, or on a private non-alcohol selling premises (home or private dwelling) with or without parental consent (depending on state), or in some states on an alcohol selling premises (bar) with parental consent.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Edited by xjmox14x

38 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Many states tried lower drinking laws in the 70's and changed back because of traffic deaths.

Yeap, MD lowered it to 18 for beer and wine just as I arrived at college, at 18.

They changed back about 3 years later, about the time I turned 21. 😄

31 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

You should be able to give her drinks with zero problems.

Just be semi discrete....

And what will you do for the family if they hit a hard a** and get put off the ship?

Pay their way home?