Serving alcohol to a 18 year old

mondas42

We were on Oasis five years ago, son was 20 and specifically had a wrist band which showed he was under 21. Imagine our surprise when we got a bill for $250 last day, he had no problem being served at a couple of the bars, all it took was tipping and getting to know the bartenders. 

I don't see an 18 year old enjoying a glass of wine at dinner with other adults being a problem.  Officially, they do not allow alcohol consumption under 21. But there are circumstances where they are more strict about it than others.  The scenario you bring up is not one of those.  

I was on Oasis last year and we had two 18 year olds with us. I provided them drinks on a number of occasions with no problem.  I certainly wouldn't have gone wild and let them drink in excess.

The other issue has to do with beverage packages.  When I cruised last year, both my wife and I had beverage packages.  They are not to be shared, and I didn't want to get accused of doing so.  So when I provided those two drinks, I always purchased them.  Never had a problem.

59 minutes ago, SRF said:

And what will you do for the family if they hit a hard a** and get put off the ship?

Pay their way home?

There is ZERO possibility in the scenario presented by the OP that they would get put off the ship.  Either they would be refused service, or if served and then caught, they would be reprimanded at worst.  The only way they get put off would be repeated offenses with resulting problematic behavior.

1 hour ago, xjmox14x said:

Almost every state has slightly different laws regarding this, but most allow it.  A lot of people, including police, assume you can't drink alcohol under the age of 21, but that's not the case.  Most allow for underage drinking so long as it's for religious/education purposes, or on a private non-alcohol selling premises (home or private dwelling) with or without parental consent (depending on state), or in some states on an alcohol selling premises (bar) with parental consent.

https://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

I'm an officer here in Texas and it is legal for a parent to drink with their kids and as long as a bit of responsibility is present we couldn't care less.

Edited by dwayneb236
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Many states tried lower drinking laws in the 70's and changed back because of traffic deaths.

Nope, it was because states would be denied federal funding if they didn’t raise the legal drinking age to 21. It’s a state law, not federal, states are free at any time to lower it, but it’s a money issue.

I have a now-19-year-old son. He skipped out on our last cruise, and will not come with us on our next one. 19-21 is a "dead zone" for cruising; aged out of the teen club, yet not permitted to drink. Drinking age in Ontario is 19, so he's learned how to responsibly consume alcohol (and after a year of university, also how to irresponsibly consume alcohol!).

We miss him on our cruise, but I totally understand his position, as well as that of the cruise line. It's an unfortunate situation, but rules are rules and laws are laws, and we have to respect that.

26 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Rubbish.

The ship is in international waters. They can serve alcohol as they please. 

I think its governed by the country that the ship is registered in which I believe may be the Bahamas so 18 years old to be served and consume alcohol.

Interesting point you make though, I wonder when we sail from the UK in international waters which laws we are under UK, US or the Bahamas but I guess I’m going slightly off topic.

51 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Rubbish.

The ship is in international waters. They can serve alcohol as they please. 

But the thing is, they choose NOT to serve alcohol to anyone under 21. I think they’ve learned a lesson about this in the past. It all boils down to - their ships, their rules - take it or leave it. 

1 hour ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

I have a now-19-year-old son. He skipped out on our last cruise, and will not come with us on our next one. 19-21 is a "dead zone" for cruising; aged out of the teen club, yet not permitted to drink. Drinking age in Ontario is 19, so he's learned how to responsibly consume alcohol (and after a year of university, also how to irresponsibly consume alcohol!).

We miss him on our cruise, but I totally understand his position, as well as that of the cruise line. It's an unfortunate situation, but rules are rules and laws are laws, and we have to respect that.

That’s something I’ve just never understood. Lots of adults don’t drink alcohol and yet manage to have a great time cruising. To give up a (presumably) free cruise because you cannot have alcohol on the ship I find amazing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

But the thing is, they choose NOT to serve alcohol to anyone under 21. I think they’ve learned a lesson about this in the past. It all boils down to - their ships, their rules - take it or leave it. 

Or sail from anywhere other than the US of course and drink alcohol on board from the age of 18, not that this is necessarily a good thing. 

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Nope, it was because states would be denied federal funding if they didn’t raise the legal drinking age to 21. It’s a state law, not federal, states are free at any time to lower it, but it’s a money issue.

Actually there was multiple states that changed it and changed it back to 21 because of many accidents and had nothing to do with Fed Funds. Michigan was one of them in the 1970's 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

How sad!   Lots of people of all ages cruise and do not drink.  Your son has no restrictions, other than alcohol, and yet chooses not to cruise.  It’s sad to equate alcohol with a good time. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gerif said:

That’s something I’ve just never understood. Lots of adults don’t drink alcohol and yet manage to have a great time cruising. To give up a (presumably) free cruise because you cannot have alcohol on the ship I find amazing. 

21 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

How sad!   Lots of people of all ages cruise and do not drink.  Your son has no restrictions, other than alcohol, and yet chooses not to cruise.  It’s sad to equate alcohol with a good time. 

I think it's easy to sit in judgment like this.  But a little more consideration of context might be justified.  Many 19 year olds have marginal interest at best in spending a week with their parents anywhere.  Add to that that he recently of legal age and has no restrictions on his activities at home, it is totally reasonable to pass.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

I think it's easy to sit in judgment like this.  But a little more consideration of context might be justified.  Many 19 year olds have marginal interest at best in spending a week with their parents anywhere.  Add to that that he recently of legal age and has no restrictions on his activities at home, it is totally reasonable to pass.

Just making a comment based on OP saying that their 19 year old wouldn’t cruise because he couldn’t drink.  

Perhaps you you are correct and he didn’t want to spend time with his parents, however, that’s an assumption.  Still feel that the ability to consume alcohol shouldn’t be a factor at any age - you don’t have to drink to enjoy any cruise, or any social event.  He could drink in ports of call if it’s that important. 

3 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Sounds like a win for him and a win for you. 

I got the impression that it was because he is in that awkward cruising age between 18 to 21. To old to participate in the teen activities and to young to enjoy the adult activities. Probably a lot harder out of the clubs to make friends with people your own age.

Not every young person is comfortable mixing with older adults socially.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

There is ZERO possibility in the scenario presented by the OP that they would get put off the ship.  Either they would be refused service, or if served and then caught, they would be reprimanded at worst.  The only way they get put off would be repeated offenses with resulting problematic behavior.

OK, then guarantee that, but offering to pay for anything that happens.

Just because it has not happened before, does not mean it will not happen to them.  But if you TRUELY believe that nothing will happen, offer to pick up the tab if it does.

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

The Federal Law is from 1984.

But Maryland, raised the drinking age in 1982.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

The Federal Law is from 1984.

But Maryland, raised the drinking age in 1982.

The vast majority of states changed the minimum after the 1984 law, a handful did so ahead of time. NJ was also a couple years old (I turned 18 in 1985).

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

The vast majority of states changed the minimum after the 1984 law, a handful did so ahead of time. NJ was also a couple years old (I turned 18 in 1985).

NJ actually went to 19 in 1980, then 21 a few years later.  I know since I was 18 with the 1st change and grandfathered in through all the changes.

I believe the first changes were due to the number as accidents, then the government put in the road funding limitations causing any state that wasn't at 21 to get there.