Cross body bags

beachbum53

Although there are some cruisers that still use waist packs (also known as fanny packs) when going ashore, it seems like there are more and more people (both men and women) using cross body bags. Have cross body bags taken the place of waist packs? For some activities, such as rock climbing and zip lining, I can see the advantage of using a waist pack. But, if you're exploring the port city on your own, and possibly doing some shopping, and don't want wear a backpack or carry a large tote bag, I can see the advantage of using a cross body bag if you just need something to carry a few small items with you. Thoughts please.

Sounds like you already figured it out....cross body bags work well for just about everything except active sports where the strap might become entangled.    They come in all sizes from 'mini' to quite large, leave both hands free and are available in countless colors and fabrics.    

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

Although there are some cruisers that still use waist packs (also known as fanny packs) when going ashore, it seems like there are more and more people (both men and women) using cross body bags. Have cross body bags taken the place of waist packs? For some activities, such as rock climbing and zip lining, I can see the advantage of using a waist pack. But, if you're exploring the port city on your own, and possibly doing some shopping, and don't want wear a backpack or carry a large tote bag, I can see the advantage of using a cross body bag if you just need something to carry a few small items with you. Thoughts please.

PacSafe and Travelon.

But, still steer clear of those kids with the bandaged fingers.

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

People still use fanny packs??  :classic_biggrin:

Hah - funny you should (tongue-in-cheek) ask. I carry my important items in a silk passport wallet worn crossbody inside my shirt. I do, however, use a small pacsafe worn outside, crossbody, to carry my daily essentials. Said pacsafe can be converted to be worn around the hips (kinda like a fanny pack) and I recently saw a cruiser on our Danube cruise wearing her purse in this manner. IMHO, kinda defeats the purpose of using a pacsafe. 

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I think it's the same thing, but my picked up what she calls a 'messenger bag'. It worked great for our trip and so much better than the other things we have tried in the past.

I've got a couple of cross body / messenger bags book marked on eBay that I'm debating between. I never realized there were so many different types to choose from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

I've got a couple of cross body / messenger bags book marked on eBay that I'm debating between. I never realized there were so many different types to choose from.

It's fairly small, but we can put two Kindles and a bunch of other items and works great.

I use a fanny/bum bag (two countries separated by a common language) at times.

I wear it on my side, not my rear.

I use it when I need to carry more than will fit in my pockets.  

If I am not in style, OH WELL.   I couldn't care less. 😄

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kartgv said:

I've actually seen a couple of pictures lately of celebrities wearing 'fanny packs', with the claim that they're 'coming back in style'.   Think I'll stick to my cross-body bag!   

16 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Bum bags are having a high-fashion revival in the UK!  My very trendy friend just bought an expensive Kipling one.  

Looks like I'll never be in style. 

On 1/28/2019 at 11:43 AM, SRF said:

I use a fanny/bum bag (two countries separated by a common language) at times.

I wear it on my side, not my rear.

I use it when I need to carry more than will fit in my pockets.  

If I am not in style, OH WELL.   I couldn't care less. 😄

Totally off topic - but I've often wondered if Spanish speaking countries have the same issues as English speaking respecting the separation by a common language.

For those who don't know, the American term for a bum bag/waist bag means something very different in UK/AU.  Also, UK has a slang term for cigarettes that would be offensive to many in the US.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:00 PM, beachbum53 said:

Love my Travelon cross body bag.  Not sure if you were interested in something this large.  It is a great travel accessory. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793FCDN9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19 minutes ago, LuckyStar said:

Love my Travelon cross body bag.  Not sure if you were interested in something this large.  It is a great travel accessory. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793FCDN9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks LuckyStar. Since I first posted my original question, I'm thinking I may end up taking a daypack after all. We'll probably have a couple of bottles of water, our camera, and a couple of other small items. Too much to fit into a waist pack or cross body bag. Looking at travel videos on Youtube, a small backpack seems to be the choice for most men.

7 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Totally off topic - but I've often wondered if Spanish speaking countries have the same issues as English speaking respecting the separation by a common language.

For those who don't know, the American term for a bum bag/waist bag means something very different in UK/AU.  Also, UK has a slang term for cigarettes that would be offensive to many in the US.

On the Spanish thing, another story.  A friend of mine grew up in an Army family and spent a good bit of time in Spain, and learned Spanish in Spain.

So she is in college in a technical program, but was required to take a language.  So she took Spanish in the spring.  She failed.  So she went to the professor and he stated she failed as she was not speaking Spanish.  She told him, "No, I AM speaking Spanish, YOU are speaking Mexican."

Fall comes, she goes to registration and finds herself enrolled in Spanish 2, and she states she cannot be, as she failed Spanish 1, therefore had to take it again.  The person looks things up and says, "No you got an A."

Confused, she goes the professor.  He explains, that summer he did a sabbatical in Spain.  And found out he did not speak Spanish. 😄

I grew up in SoCal and spent time in Texas, so I understand some Western Hemisphere Spanish.  In Spain, what they speak does not sound at ALL like the Spanish I understand.

An example, Gracias.  In Western Hemishere, the C is a Hard C (See).  In Spain, it is a soft C (th) sound.

So long story, but Spanish is not a matter of different meaning for words, it is a different pronunciation.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2019 at 3:30 AM, pacruise804 said:

In university I had a classmate who was born in Uruguay spent his teens in Mexico and backpacked his way through South and Central America. This exact topic came up in our conversations and he did confirm that accents can be wildly different and hard to understand but also that each country does have their own lingos. A lot of it has to do with the indigenous languages of the place since a lot words and phrases end up incorporated into the colonial language.

I think every language ends up localised in some way. I knew a Brazilian who travelled to Portugal and found it hard to understand the locals and a French person once told me that people in the North and South of the country speak so differently it can sometimes feel like a different language😳.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

In university I had a classmate who was born in Uruguay spent his teens in Mexico and backpacked his way through South and Central America. This exact topic came up in our conversations and he did confirm that accents can be wildly different and hard to understand but also that each country does have their own lingos. A lot of it has to do with the indigenous languages of the place since a lot words and phrases end up incorporated into the colonial language.

I think every language ends up localised in some way. I knew a Brazilian who travelled to Portugal and found it hard to understand the locals and a French person once told me that people in the North and South of the country speak so differently it can sometimes feel like a different language😳.

Same in Germany.  Hard versus soft pronunciation.

And in the US, do you think someone from Boston and someone from Macon can easily communicate, even though both speak American English??? ::D 😄😄 😄