Won't post negative reviews

Agree it is disappointing when any cruise experience does not meet your expectations.

Have not cruised with celebrity but have considered them.

We have cruised mainly on river cruises and Oceania and Azamara to date.

Not a fan of buffets but Oceania does it well and staff serve you rather than people helping themselves.

Is the food/dining any better on celebrity if in a premium cabin? 

It is difficult to cut through the marketing claims to know the reality sometimes with travel.

Forums like this are valuable to get information from people first hand. Hope your review is posted no reason why it should not be. If not there are other travel forums you could try. 

16 hours ago, OzAngel said:

Would like to see the basic  principles of food hygiene adopted on Solstice, even the buffet food was lukewarm. 

Problem is the ceramic plates fitted in the buffets/kitchens, they are not hot enough.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Problem is the ceramic plates fitted in the buffets/kitchens, they are not hot enough.

Any hotter and the food drys out.

I will never understand why people queue and pile there plates as high as they can as if they will miss out . The secret to a buffet is take 1 item at a time and return as often as you want, keeping an eye on the fresh goodies the staff are constantly putting out to delight the taste buds of the passengers .:classic_happy:

• Like 4

Hi. I have just this morning had an email saying my review has been published. It took more than 2 weeks. I was thinking the same way as you, as my review of Ovation of the Seas ( RC) was full of complaints. I had never written a review before and was hoping it was not too scathing. I just wanted it to be an honest reflection of our cruise and tried to stick to the facts. It was very long, so someone needed to get to it later I guess. Anyway, after all the effort I put in I am glad it is now live. 

Kind regards, Magpie9

Interesting. We cruised on Solstice in 2015 or 16 and found it to be very good, I don't recall any issues with cool food in the buffet etc. We had cruised up to Diamond level on Royal prior. The Venison I had in Murano was the best I've ever eaten and their gelato bar offerings were delicious including the gelato in the buffet.

However, that was a few years ago, so maybe something changed which would be a shame. 

I'll read your review - and then probably ignore it.  Lol  I loved my last cruise on Solstice (couldn't fault the food) and am really looking forward to my next one in a few weeks.  I'll find out for myself if anything has slipped since last cruise.  But even if it has, it's still better then being at work. 🙂

• Like 1

I've done three cruises on Solstice and never had any issues with the food. Most recent was 12 months ago, and then another a month before that. Like most cruise lines you will get the occasional disappointment but nothing is ever perfect. I haven't read your review but it's your experience/perception therefore your reality, good or not so good.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:30 AM, Mr&MrsCookie said:

I'll read your review - and then probably ignore it.  Lol  I loved my last cruise on Solstice (couldn't fault the food) and am really looking forward to my next one in a few weeks.  I'll find out for myself if anything has slipped since last cruise.  But even if it has, it's still better then being at work. 🙂

I'll join you on that cruise and the one before it. So looking forward to our B2B

I have to say that I was on the same cruise as the OP and I'm not sure if I was actually on the same ship.  While I did have problems with getting runny poached eggs in the buffet on the first few days, that was my fault.  We had a sleep-in and got to the buffet towards the end of service and so what did I expect? It all depends on if you get your food when it first comes out or when it has been sitting for a little while.  As someone upthread said people can go back for more.  You don't need to put everything on at once.  
The food we had at the MDR was lovely and hot when we were served.
As for entertainment, I will admit that it was a bit hit and miss.  The first nights act was dreadful and we walked out.  The Cruise Director, Lauren reported to the booking office that he was not a good act.  The second night was brilliant.  I have never bought a CD from an act in 7 cruises until now.  Others were somewhere in between, but as they say you can't satisfy everyone all the time.
My biggest complaint is that on Sea Days everything was either on at once or nothing at all and again the above statement fits..

On 1/28/2019 at 12:26 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I will never understand why people queue and pile there plates as high as they can as if they will miss out . The secret to a buffet is take 1 item at a time and return as often as you want, keeping an eye on the fresh goodies the staff are constantly putting out to delight the taste buds of the passengers .:classic_happy:

This.  Even on my first cruise ever, I was conscious of the fact that I could just put a small of food on my plate and go back for seconds.  There's no point piling loads and loads of food on the plate having it just go cold, or worse, leaving the remainder to be collected by staff.  One thing I'm conscious of is the realisation the workers onboard are often from societies not as lucky as us and there would be plenty of people there who'd love a trip on a cruise ship.  Wasting food was never an option for me; I come from a  German background with parents who were born during or just after the war and rationing was the thing.  I was made to eat everything on the plate.  My mother still hordes jars and cans of food in a little, almost bunker-like pantry despite being only her now.

Edited by plettza

On 1/28/2019 at 10:44 AM, NSWP said:

Just a question; on Carnival, we did Chef's Table and we were told on both occasions, there is no flame onboard.  They never cook with flame (i.e. no flambé or any flame grill, etc).  Their reasoning is flame aboard a ship is dangerous.  Are other cruise lines an exception and because maybe Carnival had an incident, they've taken this approach to cooking?

I'll add, watching what happens in the galley for Truffles and Empire dining rooms on Legend and Spirit is like watching clockwork.  As Chef's Table guest, we weren't allowed to take operational photos.

Edited by plettza

@OzAngel

I posted my review of Legend in December and it took a couple of weeks at least to be published.  Mine was complementary all-round but thought initially it was rejected to facetious (but with jovial intent) remarks made at parents who bring their kids on cruises outside school holiday.  It eventually got published.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:26 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Agree with your first point - and I've seen that happen.

However, on the second to be fair, I've also seen food run out in a session, or not be replenished, and that's pretty often. It might be grapes, berries, salads, cakes, but they often disappear within an hour. So if you don't take it when you see it, you miss out.

11 hours ago, plettza said:

Just a question; on Carnival, we did Chef's Table and we were told on both occasions, there is no flame onboard.  They never cook with flame (i.e. no flambé or any flame grill, etc).  Their reasoning is flame aboard a ship is dangerous.  Are other cruise lines an exception and because maybe Carnival had an incident, they've taken this approach to cooking?

I'll add, watching what happens in the galley for Truffles and Empire dining rooms on Legend and Spirit is like watching clockwork.  As Chef's Table guest, we weren't allowed to take operational photos.

That's standard with the lines I'm familiar with.

For example, even the Asian noodle restaurant on Ovation can't use an open flame to do wok cooking.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:07 AM, magpie9 said:

Hi. I have just this morning had an email saying my review has been published. It took more than 2 weeks. I was thinking the same way as you, as my review of Ovation of the Seas ( RC) was full of complaints. I had never written a review before and was hoping it was not too scathing. I just wanted it to be an honest reflection of our cruise and tried to stick to the facts. It was very long, so someone needed to get to it later I guess. Anyway, after all the effort I put in I am glad it is now live. 

Kind regards, Magpie9

magpie9

Just took 5 minutes and read your review on Ovation and agree totally, great review!!

I posted a similar review of Ovation after our cruise on her in 2016 too, but got howled down for daring to say I was unhappy with the darling new ship 🤨.  

But a couple of years is showing the lumps and those deplorable beds are still there!!!

Princess and HAL have the best cabins, and HAL serves you in the buffet, tho food was a little lukewarm all over the ship 😟 (Noordam)

So - three cruises on Princess in the next 18 months booked!!!!!

Thanks again for the great review 👍

Rose 🌹

7 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

That's standard with the lines I'm familiar with.

For example, even the Asian noodle restaurant on Ovation can't use an open flame to do wok cooking.

19 hours ago, plettza said:

I’m positive that on Celebrity Solstice in Murano Restaurant the lobster tail is flambé and also one of the crepe desserts?

Murano Lobster Cognac Flambéed Warm Water Lobster Tail, 

Edited by Porky55
Text

On 1/26/2019 at 9:22 PM, Chiliburn said:

Celebrity classes it self as a premium cruise line .

can anyone show me someone else who rates it as a premium line.

Its not any better than RC,if you take entertainment into account it probably worse.

Theres talk of merging the older ships into RC to replace some of the older small ships like vision class.

We're elite on X and I consider them a mass market cruise line.  Their food in our experience has been far better than RCCL which, on the two we've been on with them, was abominable....and I don't say that lightly.   I did notice on our 2018 X cruise that the food was not nearly as good as on our first in Australia some years before.  Agree that RCCL has far better entertainment.  Hope it's okay for a non Aussie/Kiwi to post here....am searching this forum for excursion advice where I think the experts might post.

Edited by HokiePoq

1 hour ago, HokiePoq said:

We're elite on X and I consider them a mass market cruise line.  Their food in our experience has been far better than RCCL which, on the two we've been on with them, was abominable....and I don't say that lightly.   I did notice on our 2018 X cruise that the food was not nearly as good as on our first in Australia some years before.  Agree that RCCL has far better entertainment.  Hope it's okay for a non Aussie/Kiwi to post here....am searching this forum for excursion advice where I think the experts might post.

Of course it’s OK to post here.