Cruises that visited Israel

4774Papa

I have been to Israel and loved it, but my Wife has not been there.  I see a few cruises that X has that stop at two ports there.  How was the visit and how much did you see while there?

Should we plan on a land trip instead.  Definitely want to see Jerusalem and Bethlehem if possible.

I've been on 3 cruises that had Israel on the itiniary. Made it once and it was wonderful! You never can predict what might happen in the Middle East. If I absolutely wanted to tour in Isreal I would take a land tour since there are a number of things that can cause a ship to divert.

There is just so much to see in Israel I would also recommend a land tour.

We had been there about 20 times when we first took a cruise that stopped both in Haifa and Ashdod.

The distances from the ship are just too distant from Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and many  northern and southern sights and you will spend a great deal coming and going. Try land first, good luck!

One of my favorite cruises was a holy land cruise with three days in Israel. A land trip may be a better option since there is so much to see and with the situation as it is in that region a cruise being able to make their call there is not a given. That said,   In three days you can cover a good deal with a good small tour. We used Guided Tour Israel and had Mickey as our guide; amazing experience; if you opt for a cruise to Israel I highly, highly, highly recommend them. 

• Like 1

You can see quite a bit of Haifa when you do leave the ship; however, If you want to see Jerusalem, you need to do the overnight for sure.  We done it twice and both times did Jerusalem on our own over night with a private guide.  The second time, we had enough time to use the second day to go to Masada.  If you use your time wisely and use a private guide, you can see quite a bit.  I'm happy to give you some contacts for a the guides we used.  While a land tour will allow you to see much more and quite frankly you could spend months there and not see everything, the cruise option is good as well.  You will not get full immersion, but it will definitely make a lasting impact on you. 

• Like 2

We did a Holy Land tour on Silhouette a few years ago with 3 days in Israel. We organized shore excursions with a private guide, and he met us all 3 days (2 different ports) and toured us around. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is a tour to Masada and the Dead Sea. This is well worth a day trip and was the best of our 3 days in the country. 

We would definitely do it again. We're still trying to get to Egypt via cruise ship, but have had those ports cancelled on us twice. 😞

Edited by helenb

Hi, we did a Holy Land cruise on Silhouette and loved it.

We had 2 days in Ashdod and we visited Jerusalem for the first day - loved seeing the Garden of Gethsemane, but would have preferred to see the 'Garden Tomb' rather than the other one we saw. The highlight for us was the Western Wall and entering through masses of people celebrating Bar mitzvahs …. Sofars sounding, singing and celebrations. Made me cry ...

On the 2nd day we did Massada and the Dead Sea. The 2nd day has to be THE best excursion / day we have ever had on a cruise or any other holiday. It was amazing. Our guide was incredible.

The 3rd day we went to Haifa and did Galilee and Capernaum. A wonderful day but when you are there it is almost surreal.

At some point we went to Nazareth and I absolutely hated the place ---- can see why it asks in the Bible, 'Can anything good come from Nazareth?' !!!! We did not go to Bethlehem and have never regretted it.

The excursions are very expensive if you use the ship's excursions. This was our first Celebrity cruise and due to the nature of the area we wanted to feel as safe a possible. To be honest, we would love to go again, and if we do we will still stick with the ship's exursions.

25 minutes ago, helenb said:

We did a Holy Land tour on Silhouette a few years ago with 3 days in Israel. We organized shore excursions with a private guide, and he met us all 3 days (2 different ports) and toured us around. One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is a tour to Masada and the Dead Sea. This is well worth a day trip and was the best of our 3 days in the country. 

We would definitely do it again. We're still trying to get to Egypt via cruise ship, but have had those ports cancelled on us twice. 😞

We did Masada and dead sea.  That was quite an experience.  Of the 3 times we've done that cruise, we made it to Egypt on one occasion.  

25 minutes ago, helenb said:

Hi HelenB -- we were on that cruise and your roll call that year. Remember the excitement as it built up to Silly's first proper cruise ???

You even did a Robbie Williams song for us at the CC Party :-)

Hope you are well and still enjoying cruising

Hi Presto! I had forgotten that. Such fun to be reminded! I do remember Robbie Williams (who could forget Robbie?) and that roll call. It was an excellent cruise. Unfortunately, it ended up being our last Celebrity cruise (until our upcoming Edge cruise in June) because of various issues. We have been sailing on Princess and Disney and MSC, but are excited to go back to X and try out the next class of new ship!

34 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi, we did a Holy Land cruise on Silhouette and loved it.

We had 2 days in Ashdod and we visited Jerusalem for the first day - loved seeing the Garden of Gethsemane, but would have preferred to see the 'Garden Tomb' rather than the other one we saw. The highlight for us was the Western Wall and entering through masses of people celebrating Bar mitzvahs …. Sofars sounding, singing and celebrations. Made me cry ...

On the 2nd day we did Massada and the Dead Sea. The 2nd day has to be THE best excursion / day we have ever had on a cruise or any other holiday. It was amazing. Our guide was incredible.

The 3rd day we went to Haifa and did Galilee and Capernaum. A wonderful day but when you are there it is almost surreal.

At some point we went to Nazareth and I absolutely hated the place ---- can see why it asks in the Bible, 'Can anything good come from Nazareth?' !!!! We did not go to Bethlehem and have never regretted it.

The excursions are very expensive if you use the ship's excursions. This was our first Celebrity cruise and due to the nature of the area we wanted to feel as safe a possible. To be honest, we would love to go again, and if we do we will still stick with the ship's exursions.

You didn't make it to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher or walk the stations of the cross?

12 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

You didn't make it to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher or walk the stations of the cross?

Yes we did. To be honest, that was the area we were less 'overwhelmed by' Just seemed to be covered by too many religious 'stuff' and it just didn't 'touch us' . For some, however, it was an amazing experience so we would never say not to do it as it each to their own and own personal faith. We wanted to touch Jerusalem and felt that we came away having touched lots of churches that we on top of something that 'may have been the place' if you know what I mean. That is just us though. We did see one area that had been excavated that showed a street that was 2000 years old …. now I wanted to touch that !!!

Not sure about the Stations of the Cross - we did walk down the Via Dolorosa but it is now just a street with shops on all sides trying to sell you something. I suppose we came away knowing how steep it was and how narrow.

We liked Masada as it was as it had been in biblical times, as was the spot where we looked over Jerusalem to the gate where the Messiah is prophesied to come. Similarly, Capernaum was wonderful and we loved the other places that are not covered with churches but are now as they were 2000 years ago.  (To drive past where they think Jericho was was amazing) .The Western Wall was ---- awesome. Entering Jerusalem with the sound of the shofars & singing  was just amazing ….

Apparently, they were uncovering the actual City of David when we left Jerusalem. Now, once that is uncovered I can not imagine how we will feel to visit that ancient site..... that will be something. (As long as they don't cover it with another church that looks like the other churches … if you get my drift).

That is just our view though and many millions of people would feel differently.

Go and enjoy ------------it is just an amazing experience

Not sure if this makes sense - any questions please ask

We used Guided Tours Israel (recommended many times on these boards) for a 5 day private land tour to Israel.  The guide traveled with us and it was outstanding.  

On ships its just too much travel time back and forth to port each night.  Too much time wasted.  

Go on land with a private guide and you tailor everything you want to see.  Just great!

Well, since I live here, I think that at least an overnight in Jerusalem is a must.

Recently, I was following Terry In Ohio's trip report, whom I value dearly. He spent an overnight in Jerusalem during the cruise.

Here's the link --

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

We found Bethlehem and Nazareth to be wonderful stops.  We are Christians so the New Testament is important to us and it was wonderful to see those areas.    Understand that Bethlehem is in Palestinian territory so they don’t have the funding or services you see in the the areas under Israel.    In Jerusalem, the stations of the cross were clearly marked on the walls though well worn down by countless Pilgrims.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

We used Guided Tours Israel (recommended many times on these boards) for a 5 day private land tour to Israel.  The guide traveled with us and it was outstanding.  

Could you share a bit more info on how you did this and the costs?  Private meaning how many people?  Did you arrange your own accommodations, and just hire the company for 5 individual day tours? Or did the company arrange everything involved in the 5 days including meals and accommodations.  I had researched private guides in Israel and saw pricing around $750/day for a full day private guide (not including entrance fest, meals, transportation)

I have done both a land tour and a cruise and I agree with those who suggest a land tour if you are really interested in the religious sites whether Christian or Jewish.  This is a place with so much to see and, so many historical sites that a day will not do it.   I really enjoyed our trip with the cruise but it could not manage all the sites.

People had very specific ‘wants’ for some sites even if they were not included in the tour.  In some cases you do see a site but don’t go inside for time reasons.   So my advice would be to think carefully about what you want from this visit.  If it is a pilgrimage to the ‘holy’ land and you have sincere interest, take a church or temple tour.  That is how I saw it first and it is inspiring.   With the ship tour, it’s another tourist visit and you have to consider it is approached that way: “these are the highlight sites, have a quick look and, if you want more, visit us again”.

10 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Could you share a bit more info on how you did this and the costs?  Private meaning how many people?  Did you arrange your own accommodations, and just hire the company for 5 individual day tours? Or did the company arrange everything involved in the 5 days including meals and accommodations.  I had researched private guides in Israel and saw pricing around $750/day for a full day private guide (not including entrance fest, meals, transportation)

I think your pricing is about correct for a private tour guide.  Go on the "Guided tours Israel" website and there is alot of info there.  Also search them on these boards.  They get rave reviews and we agree....they were exceptional!  And what you see is truly amazing.

Get on the same guide for the entire tour.  You become like family.  They share stores...you share stories.  You're together constantly for 5 days seeing where so much history took place!      

We were 2 people with a guide for 5 days.  The guide was the driver also, and we rode in a comfortable car.   We saw so much because we could move so quickly.  We all know bus tours...SLOW

Breakfast in hotels in Israel is HUGE.  The biggest breakfast buffet we have ever seen.  We ate lunch with our guide where ever she suggested.  One day at a little cafe there was a group of UN peacekeepers at the next table.  Dinner was the same thing.  She always knew the best places to eat.   Hotels, I think the company made suggestions but we booked them ourselves.   So meals and hotel are not included in guide costs.

It was 2012, and we will never forget the experience. I still had an outline of what we did:

Arrival in Tel Aviv day prior & one night there before tour begins.

Tour Day #1:       Begin in Tel Aviv

Sites:  West Coast of Israel – including Acre, Haifa, Caesarea, Tel Aviv & Jaffa

End in Tiberius for Overnight

Tour Day #2        Begin in Tiberius

Sites:  Christian Tour of North of Israel – including Nazareth, Capernaum, Tabgha, Sea of Galilee, Kibbutz, Mount of Beatitudes & Jordan River

End in Jerusalem- 4 nights

Tour Days #3 & #4:  Jerusalem & Bethlehem - You need 2 days!

Tour Day #5        Begin in Jerusalem

Sites:  Masada in Morning;  afternoon at Dead Sea.

Overnight Jerusalem

Next Day:  Airport Transfer From Jerusalem to Tel Aviv (approx 1 hr.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Well, since I live here, I think that at least an overnight in Jerusalem is a must.

Recently, I was following Terry In Ohio's trip report, whom I value dearly. He spent an overnight in Jerusalem during the cruise.

Here's the link --

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Thank you for the post. 

We've been on a Holy Land cruise with Princess ----about 8 years ago. Our ports were Haifa and Ashod.

Bethlehem was a shock! Busy, dusty roads with lots of traffic. Concrete everywhere. The Church of the Nativity was extremely crowded and I declined a visit to the crypt.  Our guide was 'replaced' temporarily by a Palestinian guide once we crossed the border. 

The Garden of Gethsemame was tranquil. We liked the views to be had over Jerusalem from the hill. Whilst up there we visited the Church of All Nations. Very interesting.

At one point we stopped at a centre on the River Jordan and were offered a baptism as well as shopping opportunities.

We preferred Nazareth to Bethlehem and enjoyed a tour of the Basilica of the Annunciation.  

Capernaum was fascinating but the heat was getting to us...

We loved the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and I managed to take some rewarding photos there. Also, whilst in Jerusalem, we followed the route of the Stations of The Cross ----not all of them but many. 

Of course we went to the Western Wall and were fascinated by the comings and goings.

Would we go again? Probably not ----but I wouldn't rule it out!