Foreign Currency on board Princess?

jeffro1975

14 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Even if they do it is not wise to use them for that service!

Either getting currency from your bank or better yet using an ATM on shore is the very best way to get currency.

The ship's exchange rate is very unfavorable, plus there's an added fee.  We had to do it once, in a pinch.  Never again!  Usually we're better prepared and know to go to ATMs in the ports, which has always worked well.  We've done a lot of TAs with ports in euro and non-euro (UK) countries.  Before our first TA, I went to a local business at home which did exchanges and his rates were pretty good.  However, I got over my nervousness re using a foreign ATM pretty quickly.  Kinda fun to walk up to a foreign ATM and act like you know what you're doing <g>.

So, are the previous posts a "yes" to the OP's question, that currency exchange is available on board?  I realize others may consider it a bad option, but we have booked Princess excursions for our Sapphire cruise later this year (from Southampton to Belgium, Denmark, and Norway), and I don't want to count on the tours having a stop near an ATM.  I will for sure get British pounds in advance as we have a few days in London pre-cruise, and I probably will get euros as I expect to have future trips to the euro zone.  My concern is for Denmark and Norway.   I would only need a small amount of local currency - if any.  I expect purchasing a small amount in advance at home would also have fees and an unfavorable rate.  I am more concerned with convenience, if I decide I need local currency for a bottle of water, postcards, or some small purchase like that.  

Thanks for an info.

On one cruise a number of folks tried to get local currency at passenger services and were told they couldn't do so. If you really feel the need to get local currency don't count on being able to do so onboard. Use a local ATM or just stick with a credit card if possible.

I prefer to have a small amount of each foreign currency before I leave home -- at least $20 - $50 for each port.  I can order whatever I need from Thomas Cook and they will send the money to me.  Yes, there are some fees involved, but compared to the cost of the cruise, it is nothing, and it gives me peace of mind -- I can buy a water or a soda, pay for a taxi, whatever.  These are too small for credit cards, usually.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wheezedr said:

For your time in Norway and Denmark I would just use a CC.  Norway is essentially cashless.  It is easier to use a CC for a small purchase than it is to use cash.   

Just make sure you have a CC with a security chip