Shower before getting into pools/hot tub

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Exactly!

If I tried to avoid everything that was dirty, germy and gross, I'd have to live in a plastic bubble by myself.

People have a better chance of getting sick handling the serving spoons in the WJ than in a hot tub.

You are making me laugh....and I love it!  One of the problems that MANY people have is that they are so obsessed with cleanliness and eliminating every bacteria from touching their bodies,  that their bodies never develop any ability to actually FIGHT germs that they come into contact with.  You need to build up some natural immunity.   

I just live my life, and have hardly ever gotten sick, not even a common cold.  It doesn't matter who is sneezing around me or anything else.  Now, I realize that those people with somewhat compromised immune systems (fighting cancer, eg) have a different reality.

But I am NOT living in a 'plastic bubble' as you point out....it would be very lonely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SRF said:

Out of some 1000+ gallons.  So less that 1%.

1,000 gallons would be a very small pool.  8 gallons is about 1 cubic foot of water.  Would be a lot less than 1%, as you say.  Still, not a pleasant thought.   

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

1,000 gallons would be a very small pool.  8 gallons is about 1 cubic foot of water.  Would be a lot less than 1%, as you say.  Still, not a pleasant thought.   

I think (s)he meant hot tubs.

1000 gallons is a large puddle ! My own backyard pool is about 20,000 gallons.

Anyway some of us survived LEAD PAINT growing up so what's a few germs you can't even see :classic_smile:

15 hours ago, oddly excitered said:

Who has to determine if its a BABY RUTH bar floating in there or something more criminal? I always just assume its the BABY RUTH! this gives me peace of mind.

FTFY

12 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

You are making me laugh....and I love it!  One of the problems that MANY people have is that they are so obsessed with cleanliness and eliminating every bacteria from touching their bodies,  that their bodies never develop any ability to actually FIGHT germs that they come into contact with.  You need to build up some natural immunity.   

I have pointed this out several times.

Also, there is documented links between living too clean and adult onset allergies and asthma.

However, people who are immune compromised need to be more careful.  Different circumstances.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Can't prevent everything but I'm more cautious then most. Ex-wife called me Anal. Wipe down my cabin, never use Elevators/railings. Use my Sweatshirt sleeves to pull/push my chair and door handles. Not always but have used napkin to scoop food in WindJammer. But normally first to use utensils for Dinner as first in the door when they open. Wash hands OFTEN. With Family members I care for that are higher risk, Mom has COPD, Asthma, Emphysema, having 3 Antibiotics she's allergic and 1 other that don't work. Last time got sick took her 6 months get well. Other members dealing with Cancer/Chemo, Heart Disease, Asthma, Emphysema, newborns, have to be more careful not to catch and expose anyone. Family grew up one block from one of the first Superfund Sites. Lot of Health issues

You have different circumstances and it's understandable. In all my time on CC and in 30 years of cruising I have never heard or seen a report of passengers being sick from a pool. I think the germ paranoia is a much bigger issue. Also there seems to be a lot of stalking in the public restrooms. I keep reading reports from on all of the boards that I follow how some people witness others not washing their hands and they follow them and see that they jump in the pool or handle the serving spoons in the buffet. 

I used to clean bathrooms at a bowling alley at my first job. I consider myself immune to mostly everything. 16 cruises and I've lived in the pool on each one. Never had a problem. I can understand folks with compromised immune systems, but others really need to lighten up a bit. This post reminds me of the people that have to sanitize everything in the cabin, not touch things, and sanitize their hands every five minutes. Do you live in a bubble at home? 

On 1/28/2019 at 2:27 PM, UnorigionalName said:

The directions placed in front of the pools/hot tubs clearly state to shower before entering.  They place convenient showers right next to these clearly marked signs so you can shower before jumping in.  It takes like 30 seconds.  Why does basically NO ONE follow the instruction? So gross...

I doubt that the use of the showers would have much effect on  hygiene.   

2 minutes ago, Andy C said:

To the extent that the shower removes dingleberries, yes.  

Really? Unless people drop there suits and pull out some soap having some water run over you for 30 seconds is accomplishing nothing more than relieving the anxiety of some germaphobes and little more.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Really? Unless people drop there suits and pull out some soap having some water run over you for 30 seconds is accomplishing nothing more than relieving the anxiety of some germaphobes and little more.

I'm guessing that the intent of the showers is to remove suntan lotion and prevent clogging of pool filters.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

59 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

I'm guessing that the intent of the showers is to remove suntan lotion and prevent clogging of pool filters.

As I've stated before, the purpose of the shower is to remove sunscreen, which forms a film on the water and affects the chlorine's ability to sanitize, and to remove skin cells which reduces the amount of organic material that the chlorine has to interact with, reducing the amount of chlorine needed to maintain sanitation.

22 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

I doubt that the use of the showers would have much effect on  hygiene.   

Actually it has a pretty good effect even though most people use soap.  Just water and the friction of vigorously washing does a lot of good.  But those showers are mostly for washing off sweat and suntan lotion.  I think its a good idea and I do use them.  Just so the pool doesn't get fowled up...

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As I've stated before, the purpose of the shower is to remove sunscreen, which forms a film on the water and affects the chlorine's ability to sanitize, and to remove skin cells which reduces the amount of organic material that the chlorine has to interact with, reducing the amount of chlorine needed to maintain sanitation.

LOL you beat me to it Bee Guy

15 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The use of water to wash both hands can eliminate a lot of germs and bacteria thatsoap can. Soap can actually spread bacteria to the hands if it is not stored correctly to prevent the growth of bacteria. Although health professionals point out that soapdoes cut down on more bacteria than water alone.Jun 23, 2012

How Much Cleaner Does Soap Make Your Hands? - Big Think

Based on a study in one of the countries where soap is limited, scientists discovered that by applying the right technique when washing hands a person can eliminate bacteria using only water. 
Edited by BecciBoo

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I get that. My point is if people someone standing in those showers for 30 seconds is somehow reducing some bacterial content that is then brought into the pool they are greatly mistaken.

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:
The use of water to wash both hands can eliminate a lot of germs and bacteria thatsoap can. Soap can actually spread bacteria to the hands if it is not stored correctly to prevent the growth of bacteria. Although health professionals point out that soapdoes cut down on more bacteria than water alone.Jun 23, 2012

Based on a study in one of the countries where soap is limited, scientists discovered that by applying the right technique when washing hands a person can eliminate bacteria using only water. 

I'll bring this up at our next medical staff meeting. We can eliminate the cost of buying soap in the hospital.

15 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Well this link and "information" is complete junk! 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'll bring this up at our next medical staff meeting. We can eliminate the cost of buying soap in the hospital.

Don't be so cocky...I use soap too, just quoting some interesting articles.  I didn't say not to use it....Geesh

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I get that. My point is if people someone standing in those showers for 30 seconds is somehow reducing some bacterial content that is then brought into the pool they are greatly mistaken.

Yeah, I get that.  The chlorine takes care of the bacterial load, the showering allows the chlorine to do its job.

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Well this link and "information" is complete junk! 

Then maybe you'll like this piece of junk better from the US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

Abstract

Handwashing is thought to be effective for the prevention of transmission of diarrhoea pathogens. However it is not conclusive that handwashing with soap is more effective at reducing contamination with bacteria associated with diarrhoea than using water only. In this study 20 volunteers contaminated their hands deliberately by touching door handles and railings in public spaces. They were then allocated at random to (1) handwashing with water, (2) handwashing with non-antibacterial soap and (3) no handwashing. Each volunteer underwent this procedure 24 times, yielding 480 samples overall. Bacteria of potential faecal origin (mostly Enterococcus and Enterobacter spp.) were found after no handwashing in 44% of samples. Handwashing with water alone reduced the presence of bacteria to 23% (p < 0.001). Handwashing with plain soap and water reduced the presence of bacteria to 8% (comparison of both handwashing arms: p < 0.001). The effect did not appear to depend on the bacteria species. Handwashing with non-antibacterial soap and water is more effective for the removal of bacteria of potential faecal origin from hands than handwashing with water alone and should therefore be more useful for the prevention of transmission of diarrhoeal diseases.

If you'll re-read what I said, that actually water does remove some bacteria, but I did not say "Don't use soap"...just quoting what my own research came up with.