Line-dry on laundry package

faerievert

If I send them out on the laundry package will they follow the laundry tag instructions or must I mark every piece on the laundry list with notes?

I have a number of items packed that really should be line dried (all contain legible tags that say so). I really don’t want to wash my dresses and leggings in the sink/shower!

Sorry, I can't imagine that there would be nearly enough space below deck to line dry washed items. Either bring enough changes for no washing or Woolite and do it yourself. The retractable string in the shower will hold 3 or 4 items.

I was pretty sure that would be the answer but thought I'd ask. Really wish I'd thought of this before I packed.

Unpacking and making sure there's nothing I'm not willing to hand-wash that would be totally destroyed by commercial laundering. At least 3/4 of my wardrobe is supposed to be line dry only 😣 But most of it should probably be ok being mishandled a few times. 

The best you can get is tumble dry low heat. They did a good job with that on the Zuiderdam. I had a bag specifically labeled that way. Delicates got Woolite in the sink and we used the line in the tub.

• Like 1

I often pack a couple of the inexpensive tubular plastic hangers from Walmart or Target in my suitcase for hanging up hand laundry done in the sink.  Helps tops keep their shape while drying.  The skirt hangers in the ship's closets work great for skirts, etc.

I am am particularly fond of my Rick Steves travel clothesline for smaller items because of the Velcro attacher thingys at both ends. Link to Rick Steves travel clothesline

Edited by Walfam

I was pretty sure that would be the answer but thought I'd ask. Really wish I'd thought of this before I packed.

Unpacking and making sure there's nothing I'm not willing to hand-wash that would be totally destroyed by commercial laundering. At least 3/4 of my wardrobe is supposed to be line dry only [emoji21] But most of it should probably be ok being mishandled a few times. 

If you will be disappointed if your clothing gets damaged in the laundry - don’t send it in. The best you will get for damaged clothing is a pittance in reimbursement and a lot of hassles even trying to get that. I don’t send in anything that I would be too upset if it never came back. HAL does many things very well. Laundry is hit or miss.

Don’t risk it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I double-checked that I don't have anything expensive in there. If a <$25 article of clothing dies, so be it. Willing to take that gamble if means not having to do laundry on vacation or bring another suitcase. But I may hand-wash my bras and favorite leggings. 

20 minutes ago, faerievert said:

I double-checked that I don't have anything expensive in there. If a <$25 article of clothing dies, so be it. Willing to take that gamble if means not having to do laundry on vacation or bring another suitcase. But I may hand-wash my bras and favorite leggings. 

I use laundry a LOT but there are certain unmentionables that I always hand wash.

Another option is drycleaning if you want to send something out.

If the items are not expensive and not worth worrying about then no worries.  I pack differently than you I think and do want to bring back my clothes 😉

On our cruise last month, I wrote this on a laundry order slip:

"I have several items that must be laundered and hung to dry.  They CANNOT put be in the dryer.  I am asking this for my next cruise.  Is this possible?"

The reply:

"Absolutely, Madam!  We will do our best for you!"

So there is the answer from the laundry service itself!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ithaca gal said:

On our cruise last month, I wrote this on a laundry order slip:

"I have several items that must be laundered and hung to dry.  They CANNOT put be in the dryer.  I am asking this for my next cruise.  Is this possible?"

The reply:

"Absolutely, Madam!  We will do our best for you!"

So there is the answer from the laundry service itself!

Having seen the laundry room on several different ship, different cruise lines, I would be leery of them being able to hang things to dry.  As noted they are hot, humid and fairly crowded.  

Unless, of course, the laundry staff takes them somewhere else to hang them (but where would that be?)

Edited by Shmoo here

9 hours ago, faerievert said:

Warning... TMI... True confessions... Like many others, I don't pack anything that I would be heartbroken to lose in the ship's laundry.  However, I go one step further:  Before packing I do my annual undies inventory and purchase new to replace worn items.  Then I pack the oldest, rattiest in my duffel for the cruise and toss them at the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 5:39 AM, mame42 said:

Warning... TMI... True confessions... Like many others, I don't pack anything that I would be heartbroken to lose in the ship's laundry.  However, I go one step further:  Before packing I do my annual undies inventory and purchase new to replace worn items.  Then I pack the oldest, rattiest in my duffel for the cruise and toss them at the end of the cruise.

You are not alone. After doing a test on a Celebrity ship with 3 basic Hanes white cotton panties for a hot weather cruise I said never again. Two came back tie dyed with navy blue and the third pair were not Hanes, not cotton, not the same size and not mine. So I thin my unmentionables and socks if it will be chilly and I wash the ones good for return in the sink. 

I need to recheck the Prisendam as I thought they had a self service laundry. We have a TA in March and several pairs of slacks need hung in the shower after washing.

6 hours ago, NorthernLite said:

I need to recheck the Prisendam as I thought they had a self service laundry

Prinsendam does indeed still have the self service laundry 😄 

• Thanks 1