Odyssey of the Seas Blocks are in the House

Lloyd555

On 9/7/2020 at 12:29 PM, steamboats said:

First they have to get rid of the Iona...

They finally delivered her:

The new 5,200-guest Iona has joined the P&O Cruises fleet following her delivery from Meyer Werft.

The official handover ceremony took place on October 9 in Papenburg, Germany, where she was built.

The Iona is the first-ever LNG-powered British cruise ship and the largest cruise ship built for the UK market. The ship has 17 guest decks and is 185,000 tons, according to a press release.

The President of P&O Cruises, Paul Ludlow, called Iona’s delivery a “positive signal for the future of cruising.”

“We are focused on readying her to welcome guests during her new maiden season to Northern Europe, Spain, Portugal, and the Canary Islands from our home port of Southampton,” he said during the ceremony in Papenburg. “Already eagerly anticipated by our guests, crew, and the communities we visit, events this year have increased the sense of anticipation even more.”

According to a press release detailing the handover, the Iona will have eight specialty restaurants, 13 entertainment venues, four swimming pools (including an infinity one at the aft of the ship), and 16 whirlpools.

In his ceremony speech, Ludlow also reminded that P&O Cruises’ operations are still on pause until early 2021.  

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

They finally delivered her:

Yes, I know... last Friday. So within two weeks they have delivered two cruise ships. So hopefully this will take a little stress off the financial situation of the shipyard.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, Tall-Cruiser said:

Thanks to the photos from Lloyd we can see some of that progress you note as the Webcam has not been updated for some time now. 

Tall-Cruiser,

Speaking of photos, remember Ingrid Fiebak (now Fiebak-Kremer), who took some of the first photos of Quantum of the Seas that we posted in the Cruise Critic thread? Quantum of the Seas was the first build that I followed back in 2013. And here we are in 2020 following Odyssey of the Seas and Wonder of the Seas, etc. 😄

quantum-of-the-seas-engine.jpg.e551426f0781dda0f71c7ac635672183.jpg

She just posted this in FB:

On Friday 9.10.2020 the 50th cruise ship of Meyer Werft was delivered. Congratulations to Meyer Werft on this special anniversary!
It was a special day for me too. I can proudly say I have photographed all the deliveries. Thank you very much to the Meyer family for the long-term trust! 

1316741701_501.jpg.f524281112e1f53b9f10d585b18e361a.jpg

1065930408_502.thumb.jpg.156325d470a84600db8159e4fd7e756d.jpg

1361194911_503.thumb.jpg.dfc37499a403e7746b97cff2ac3bc836.jpg
Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Tall-Cruiser,

Speaking of photos, remember Ingrid Fiebak (now Fiebak-Kremer), who took some of the first photos of Quantum of the Seas that we posted in the Cruise Critic thread? Quantum of the Seas was the first build that I followed back in 2013. And here we are in 2020 following Odyssey of the Seas and Wonder of the Seas, etc. 😄

quantum-of-the-seas-engine.jpg.e551426f0781dda0f71c7ac635672183.jpg

Lloyd - I so remember those days and it was exciting. After being so immersed in that build I was very disappointed that I had to cancel my Quantum cruise and then she got moved to China. 

Ingrird took some amazing photos that gave us a lot insights to the builds. I hope she puts out some more for Odyssey and other recent builds for public viewing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

Finally, a view of the deck 15 hot tub. 😁

1421889743_@fveca4.thumb.jpg.62f111fae2fac3885a78573e5adb0826.jpg

My apologies.  The previous post had screenshots because I had issues downloading the video, but I finally tried again and managed to do so. 

🎥 Francis

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sergioag said:

I know this quite subjective, but IMHO it looks more like... complete... difficult to explain, but that was my impression comparing this one to the previous one.

I would like to see a aft photo I am curious if IFLY and Flowrider have been installed yet 

On 10/20/2020 at 7:09 AM, dalee21860 said:

I would like to see a aft photo I am curious if IFLY and Flowrider have been installed yet 

They've removed the plastic wrapping from the RipCord by iFly.  That's a good sign. 

20201022_154833.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Thanks 1

According to the article, Odyssey of the Seas may be floated out in the second half of November.

When asked by our editorial team, shipyard spokesman Peter Hackmann did not want to comment on the state of affairs with the construction of the ship for the US shipping company Royal Caribbean International or on a date for the undocking or the Ems overpass.  “As is known, these dates are always announced very quickly.

In times of a pandemic, sometimes only after the maneuvers have been started, ”Hackmann said.

Because experience has shown that float outs  and Ems  conveyances attract many onlookers, the shipyard had repeatedly appealed this year to avoid crowds of people at the shipyard port because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and was then restrictive in communicating maneuvers.

https://www.noz.de/lokales/papenburg/artikel/2148843/kommt-drittes-meyer-schiff-noch-in-diesem-jahr-ins-freie

• Like 1

I've never followed a build thread very closely, because I've never before been booked on a ship that wasn't already in service. So, please excuse my ignorance when I note that it seems like they have way too much to accomplish in the few months left before April. I want to be wrong.