Summit -- If you could only choose one specialty dining option

Aralim

I'd like to do one dinner with my family at a specialty dining venue when I sail Celebrity next August. I might see about two, given it's a two-week itinerary and doing only one venue might be limiting, but with the expense of specialty dining for a family of four I figure I'll start with just one. But which one...?

My first thought was Chef's Table, as I did CT on Royal Caribbean and it was an outstanding meal and experience. But this would be a big expense for my family of four, two of whom are underage and thus can't drink the wine, and my wife who does not drink (or at most has a sip of what I'm having). Unless Celebrity offers a discounted rate for the three who can't / won't drink, I can't see the justification. So I'm looking for some guidance on what might be the best option for my family.

Now I know food is hugely subjective, so let me give a quick overview of what each of us are like:

• I and my 15-year old daughter are both major foodies, and are not at all afraid to experiment with new cuisines; but the 15-year old is losing her taste for meat dishes and is thinking of going pescatarian
  • My 18-year old daughter likes some out of the ordinary things like sushi, and has no problem with a variety of cuisines -- Italian, French, Middle Eastern, and American are her preferences; she's declared she'd like to become a pescatarian at some point
  • My wife is very picky, pretty much sticks to Italian or American food, and is totally happy to eat the same things over and over; this was really driven home when she and I had dinner at Wonderland on Anthem of the Seas, and our waiter ended up getting her entire dinner (excluding desserts) from Chops instead.

I'm kind of thinking that Tuscan Grille is going to be our safest bet. But after looking at the sample menu for QSine, it seems there may be enough options there to satisfy my wife and older daughter. And then there's the new Le Petit Chef option post-Revolution upgrade, which it appears will be a secondary option inside QSine; but while the experience looks really amazing, I know pretty much nothing about what the menu is / will be like.

What are your thoughts? I'd definitely prefer to experience something a little more unique / off the beaten path, but with my family to account for I'm feeling like I should go with the safest option.

If I did do a second option, it would probably be just my younger daughter and I at either Chef's Table, where I know she'd really enjoy the food and experience of having the chef come out and explain everything behind it, or maybe Le Petit Chef if it looked like everyone would get a meal they'd enjoy. Would appreciate your guidance here as well.

Qsine is gone, replaced by le Petit Chef. . Murano is gone. Choices have been reduced.  I'm almost hard pressed to give any recommendation.  Le Petit Chef has a very limited menu and the "show" is only about one of the four menu items....it's entertainment rather than foodie food. Tuscan Grill gets varied reviews ...some like it, others, like us, don't.

Your best bet would be for the chef's table (if it's offered)....I'd approach the maitre d' or perhaps the food and wine officer and explain that three don't drink and would he adjust the price accordingly.

Off the beaten path....they have been offering a Taj (indian) dinner at the sushi restaurant once per sailing.  I can't say it's the best indian food I've had, but it is different.  We've done it twice...but they really serve most of the same dishes at some point in the lunch buffet so not sure it's worth extra $'s.

Sorry to not be more positive.....we used to dine in the specialty restaurants more often...enjoying murano and qsine.  Now we only book the specialties if they offer a hard to resist deal (BOGO).

BTW...the sushi restaurant doesn't offer a big selection, but it's better than I expected...might be worth trying.  Other foodie hint is that the best baked desserts are free at cafe B'accio.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Thanks 1

For a truly unique experience, I highly recommend Le Petit Chef. It was a fantastic night in every way. You have 2 menus to choose from, which will satisfy everyone in your family. The lobster, filet mignon and bouillabaisse were just delicious. Or you can choose the sea bass, sauteed chicken breast and french onion soup which one of our friends had and said it was super yummy. On top of the great food, you'll enjoy this fun, magical show that you can't see anywhere else. Reserve a table, your family will love it!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobCaron said:

For a truly unique experience, I highly recommend Le Petit Chef. It was a fantastic night in every way. You have 2 menus to choose from, which will satisfy everyone in your family. The lobster, filet mignon and bouillabaisse were just delicious. Or you can choose the sea bass, sauteed chicken breast and french onion soup which one of our friends had and said it was super yummy. On top of the great food, you'll enjoy this fun, magical show that you can't see anywhere else. Reserve a table, your family will love it!

Totally agree with this. I did Petit Chef on Silhouette. I was dining with two foodies who had done it before and chose to go back again. Food was excellent and the “show” before each course was clever. Would I do it every cruise? Doubtful, but will definitely do it again and  yet again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobCaron said:

You can pick and choose from each menu.  When I went I had the onion soup and the filet as did DH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ghstudio said:

Qsine is gone, replaced by le Petit Chef.

Are you sure about that for M class? On the Revolution dining info page for Summit, if you watch the video there it calls it “Le Petit Chef at QSine”, (emphasis mine, screen shot for reference) which implies it’s a part of QSine, not a replacement.

AC4E6315-4B40-4D7D-9988-4631E8F27F93.thumb.png.a6b4433262d5948d58ec574cc025f5f1.png

Edited by Aralim

Another vote for Petite Chef.   I think it would be both fun and entertaining for the whole family.   Also if they alternate evenings with Qsine that might be a fun time for all.   Generally Qsine is more fun with a group.   The negative I found with Petite Chef is that it is very choreographed and everyone arriving at the exact same time and each course being served simultaneously .    Very difficult for drink service as the Sommelier (only 1) is overwhelmed. 

I've don't the Chef's Table and really enjoyed it even though I don't drink.   They amazed me and actually paired each course with a Non-Alcoholic Wine.  Definitely made me feel part of the dinner.  I would think that it might not be as much fun for your children.   It is relatively a small group of about 10-12 and part of the fun is to meet fellow diners as opposed to a family gathering.

Tuscan can be a nice experience but I have been underwhelmed with the service on numerous occasions. 

17 hours ago, tanzania2015 said:

The la petite chef has replaced the Qsine menu and is an every night occurrence. It is located in the Qsine Restaurant. 

We were on Silhouette recently and they only had La Petite Chef on certain evenings other evenings they were doing Qsine.   Celebrity is not known to be consistent.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like Le Petit Chef might be the choice to make, depending on how I see it priced relative to Chef's Table (assuming both are offered). I know my wife would get a kick out the experience, pretty sure the girls would as well.

And given the differing experiences of @tanzania2015 and @Jim_Iain, I guess I'll just have to wait until Summit is out of drydock and my Cruise Planner starts showing dining options to see what's actually available. If QSine is still offered, then I'll talk with everyone and see which they'd prefer.

We did Le Petit Chef twice on the Eclipse last fall. It is a lot of fun. Everyone was laughing and having a great time. The food was also very good. The animation were very good. After the drydock Qsine should be gone. 

Is the Le Petit Chef show more impressive in person? I saw the videos online and it looked cute but felt like a one and done for me. Also I thought the Qsine menu looked more interesting that the LPC menu, although I’ve never tried either. 

I'm trying Le Petit Chef on our Summit cruise in early 2020, post Revolution. I've taking quite a few cruises and have never eaten in a specialty restaurant. (Well, Johnny Rockets once, but only because I had a Crown & Anchor coupon making it free!) I'm one of those folks who thinks the atmosphere and food in the main dining room are terrific and see no reason to pay extra. But Qsine - particularly with Le Petit Chef - is not just food, it's an experience. I'm really looking forward to it!

Did le Petite Chef on the Edge and looking forward to dining in it again on the Silhouette in a few weeks-  It was fun and a nice experience.  Food was also good- albeit a limited menu.  Have fun and enjoy.  If you can swing two dinners- sometimes first night 1/2 price pp, also try Tuscan grill.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, ghstudio said:

Qsine is gone, replaced by le Petit Chef. . Murano is gone. Choices have been reduced. 

I don't think there was ever a Murano on Summit.  They did have Normandie, which we always enjoyed immensely.  Chops replaced Normandie.

1 hour ago, kenevenpar said:

I don't think there was ever a Murano on Summit.  They did have Normandie, which we always enjoyed immensely.  Chops replaced Normandie.

Chops is RCI....     Tuscan Grille replaced Normandie.    and, correct, there was never a Murano on Summit.

Steve

• Like 1