Favorite upscale nyc restaurant

George C

8 hours ago, ptrpanpens said:

Union Square Cafe. I Never visit NYC wihout going there. Best calimari in the world!

Very friendly to singles. I love the bar when I am alone. You must get a reservation, though. I have not been since they moved, however anything done by Danny Meyer is top notch.

Ohhh...this place looks good, nice menu!!!:classic_smile:....I am sailing in April, should I reserve this far ahead?

9 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

I’ve heard only amazing things about this place. But isn’t it a $500 pp place?

That's a good estimate with drinks etc.  The OP asked about upscale and didn't mention price parameters so I named the best upscale place I've been, and enjoyed, in NY.  🙂

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Ohhh...this place looks good, nice menu!!!:classic_smile:....I am sailing in April, should I reserve this far ahead?

It is an excellent restaurant downtown. Probably my favorite in NYC and it shouldn’t cost you $100 unless you drink alot. Be sure and try the calimari. Its the best. I would make reservations, you can always cancel.  Eating at the bar is fun too as people are very friendly but you cant make reservations for that. I also like their lamb chops. Wish I were there right now!

anne

37 minutes ago, ptrpanpens said:

It is an excellent restaurant downtown. Probably my favorite in NYC and it shouldn’t cost you $100 unless you drink alot. Be sure and try the calimari. Its the best. I would make reservations, you can always cancel.  Eating at the bar is fun too as people are very friendly but you cant make reservations for that. I also like their lamb chops. Wish I were there right now!

anne

Hi Anne, Oh, I will eat at the bar! If I go early I am guessing there will be a bar stool with my name on it!:classic_biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Anne, Oh, I will eat at the bar! If I go early I am guessing there will be a bar stool with my name on it!:classic_biggrin:

If you can, please report back as I have not eaten at their new location yet. I think you will really like the food.

Anne

26 minutes ago, ptrpanpens said:

If you can, please report back as I have not eaten at their new location yet. I think you will really like the food.

Anne

Will do:classic_biggrin:,,,,,Union Square Café...…...I will have to write it down!  I wonder how far it is from my hotel...….I am staying in Lower Manhattan, near Ground Zero.

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Will do:classic_biggrin:,,,,,Union Square Café...…...I will have to write it down!  I wonder how far it is from my hotel...….I am staying in Lower Manhattan, near Ground Zero.

Probably around 2 1/2 miles, about halfway between your hotel and your theater.

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

I think it is on 19 th street. Maybe near Union Square like the old one was. You will have to google. Easiest to take a taxi. Once you get to the numbered streets, every 20 blocks uptown or downtown = approx one mile. But down near ground zero streets are not in a grid so it is more difficult to tell distance. Theatre District is approx 1 1/2 miles uptown from restaurant on westside. (19th-45th). Easy walk just count the streets.

Hope this helps.

21 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

That's a good estimate with drinks etc.  The OP asked about upscale and didn't mention price parameters so I named the best upscale place I've been, and enjoyed, in NY.  🙂

No problem. I just didn’t want anyone having a heart attack if they discovered the prices. Per Se is another upscale restaurant in this price range that every one raves about. 

22 hours ago, George C said:

Delmonico one of the most famous restaurants is also downtown we really enjoyed it. 

Hey George, I just looked at their website...…..omg...now I think I should eat here.  Too many choices!

On February 5, 2019 at 10:48 AM, ptrpanpens said:

Union Square Cafe. I Never visit NYC wihout going there. Best calimari in the world!

Very friendly to singles. I love the bar when I am alone. You must get a reservation, though. I have not been since they moved, however anything done by Danny Meyer is top notch.

In 1998 two female friends took 

I was in the Union Square Cafe twice but did not eat there,that is why I did not suggest it.

I was at the opening night party .I know I drank but did not eat.Then in 1998 two of my co-workers took me out for dinner for my birthday and we went there afterward for drinks.I am sure the food is very good.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:17 PM, Lois R said:

oops...….I thought the other post did not work...….well, anyway, now I need to decide again where to eat dinner LOL.....world problems:classic_biggrin:

On 2/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, Lois R said:

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I have never used Uber before...…….

Hey girl! Long time no CC :classic_biggrin:.  I am here rarely now.

Two of my fav places, upscale but not pretentious and fabulous food, are Minetta Tavern and Gramercy Tavern. Minetta is quirky and a NY staple. Gramercy is just wonderful. I chatted with a "movie star" at the bar my last time there. Gramercy requires a res no longer than 30 days ahead. Hope you enjoy wherever you go.

Oh, Gramercy Tavern is also owned by Danny Meyer.  

Edited by madelinerose
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, madelinerose said:

Hey girl! Long time no CC :classic_biggrin:.  I am here rarely now.

Two of my fav places, upscale but not pretentious and fabulous food, are Minetta Tavern and Gramercy Tavern. Minetta is quirky and a NY staple. Gramercy is just wonderful. I chatted with a "movie star" at the bar my last time there. Gramercy requires a res no longer than 30 days ahead. Hope you enjoy wherever you go.

Oh, Gramercy Tavern is also owned by Danny Meyer.  

Hey right back at you!:classic_biggrin:.....I don't post nearly like I used to in the old days...…..good to see you and thanks for your recommendations. I will google them!:classic_smile: