Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

51 minutes ago, Stonewolf Cruiser said:

I agree with the previous posters who complained about the missing cabin chair.  The longer the cruise, the more of an issue this becomes.  It could be a cost-cutting move or an attempt to spur people to book higher cost cabins.  Either way, I think it's a mis-step by Princess.

Maybe in the future they will issue inflatable chairs at check-in.

Maybe in the future, Princess will go to Ala Carte  pricing on all categories of staterooms.

You pay the standard (current) rate for  a “no frills” stateroom.  Bed, bed light, desk, desk chair.  No more hair dryer.

Chair or sofa in your room?  Pay extra.  

Table in your room? Payback extra.

Refrigerator in room?  Pay extra.

Want toilet paper? Pay extra. 

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Haha 2

On 2/3/2019 at 5:51 PM, louden said:

It does make you wonder what Princess is thinking.  We were recently on the Emerald in a Premium Aft Corner balcony.  The balcony furniture now consists of two chairs and a small table.  We addressed the issue of no ottomans/footstools and only two chairs while on board.  We wrote to Corporate and copied Passenger Services.  We were pleasantly surprised to be visited in our cabin by two sympathetic senior officers.  They told us in the upcoming months they have been advised ottomans are being removed from all the balconies.  It is a shame to have such a lovely balcony and be unable to enjoy it comfortably let alone entertain fellow cruisers. 

Louden

This bothers me almost as much as losing the chairs in the cabins. We purposely book cabins with the larger balconies so we can stretch out and relax in privacy. Often we pay a premium for those cabins even though they are not as costly as minis or suites. Losing the ottomans will really have a negative impact on the enjoyment of our balcony. I just don't understand how the bean counters can justify marginalizing and decreasing their customers' comfort to save such a minimal amount of money. 

As it is, we are traveling this February with several friends who have never been on Princess. One has previously sailed on Disney, another on RCCL. I have highly recommended Princess to them but have to admit I've been nervous about their reaction to the cabins compared to the other lines. Sigh.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rocking Waves said:

I agree, every room should have 2 chairs of some description to sit on, not just on the bed - whether to read, have a drink, eat breakfast, etc.  The coffee table is about the only place to set down a tray as the desk is often filled with personal items, flyers, etc.  We like to enjoy our room to relax and both need a place to sit down.  I do hope all those chairs and tables haven't disappeared.

Agree completely!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Cindy said:

Celebrity, HAL, and Royal Caribbean all do.

Perhaps some good would come from every unhappy passenger sending Jan Swartz an email. Im sure she’d hate the the thought of losing revenue to those competitors.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

. . .

I also sail on Celebrity.  Standard balcony stateroom.  Has a sofa.  About the same cost of a standard  balcony stateroom on Princess. . . .

We usually sail on Princess, but a few years ago sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse for a RT Mediterranean cruise out of Southampton.  That is not a sofa; at least ours was really the size of a twin bed (for a 3rd pax) with bolsters to turn it into a "couch" (but not comfortable for a short person like me).  Also vinyl covered, not fabric, so seemed cheap.  All the outside cabins are balcony cabins on their newer ships.  We don't need a balcony, but apparently are in the vast minority since Princess also only offers balcony cabins (and inside ones) on the Royal/Regal.

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

We usually sail on Princess, but a few years ago sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse for a RT Mediterranean cruise out of Southampton.  That is not a sofa; at least ours was really the size of a twin bed (for a 3rd pax) with bolsters to turn it into a "couch" (but not comfortable for a short person like me).  Also vinyl covered, not fabric, so seemed cheap.  All the outside cabins are balcony cabins on their newer ships.  We don't need a balcony, but apparently are in the vast minority since Princess also only offers balcony cabins (and inside ones) on the Royal/Regal.

Agree.  It’s more like a two person loveseat.   On Celebrity it was clad in vinyl as well.  From what PAXs are saying here in this thread,  Princees no longer even provides a sitting chair other than the desk chair in staterooms.  That’s pretty cheap  for Princess.  What a bunch of chespskates!

I need a balcony stateroom or above.   I enjoy sitting on my balcony,  enjoy my morning latte and breakfast,  wearing only my pajamas or birthday suit.   :classic_tongue::classic_tongue:Breathing ocean air and watching the world go by in the privacy of my balcony.  That’s just me, YMMV. 

BTW,  have you sailed on Oceania or Viking?  I enjoy cruising on both.   Their stateroom furniture and public areas, exudes class.  Rich fabrics, not cheap vinyl like Princess..    Even in basic balcony/veranda staterooms.   But they are considered entry (?) level luxury class cruise lines, not mass market like Princess or Celebrity.  It cost.😋   Ovviously,  it’s not for everyone’s budget.  You pay a premium over mass market cruise lines.   But sometimes based on itinerary, it’s  worth it to me.

Enjoy your cruise.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I cannot believe that people aren’t more disturbed by the fact that one person sits on the bed or floor because Princess has removed the chair and the table.  They should be available for those who want or require them.  Two people two chairs seems kind of obvious.  The lack of a table kind of makes it a pain if you order breakfast from room service.  I love Princess and have cruised to Alaska the last eight years.  I enjoy sitting in the tub chair looking at the scenery in the privacy of my cabin. Please don’t flame me for wanting at least being able to ask for a second chair from the cabin Stuart. I did send an email to Princess and hope others will do the same. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

I cannot believe that people aren’t more disturbed by the fact that one person sits on the bed or floor because Princess has removed the chair and the table.  They should be available for those who want or require them.  Two people two chairs seems kind of obvious.  The lack of a table kind of makes it a pain if you order breakfast from room service.  I love Princess and have cruised to Alaska the last eight years.  I enjoy sitting in the tub chair looking at the scenery in the privacy of my cabin. Please don’t flame me for wanting at least being able to ask for a second chair from the cabin Stuart. I did send an email to Princess and hope others will do the same. 

Please explain what exactly you are talking about.  What ship, what cabin, what itinerary?

I haven't heard anything about furniture changes.  Would love to know more.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

There is PLENTY of uproar about this!!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2631010-chairs-removed-to-make-more-room/

Hi  The ship is the ruby and as I understand inside and balcony rooms are now missing both table and chair.  My understanding is it is now Princess policy when a ship goes to dry dock they are removed to be so kind as to give the cruiser more room.

Last cruise in November we had a mini with all the furniture in place.  Our next cruise this summer is in a balcony.  If they have removed the chair then we will have to bring one of the balcony chairs inside to sit upon.  No, we will not be happy to have to do this but one must improvise sometimes for brain dead decisions by the mucky muck. We shall see. 

37 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

Hi  The ship is the ruby and as I understand inside and balcony rooms are now missing both table and chair.  My understanding is it is now Princess policy when a ship goes to dry dock they are removed to be so kind as to give the cruiser more room.

I promise you I am not meaning to be snarky but that one silly chair and table are always in the way and we have always put them in the closet and just used the table as an extra shelf for our clothing or accessories.  The desk chair has always been sufficient for us.  

But, I can see where one might expect that chair in the room .... it's never been something we've thought was important.  Just something to stub our toes on.  We do order room service and just put it on the desk or out on the balcony if we have one.  

I think if Princess hears a lot of complaints about this, they will return so if important to you, don't give up the fight.  I know for a fact that someone from Princess read these boards on occasion.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't read every one of the messages here, but it seems like none, or at least very few, I can't remember for sure, people here have actually been on board a ship that had all the tables and/or chairs removed from the stateroom on the Princess ships so how sure is everyone that the absence(s) of tables and chairs is an actual situation and how much is the result of some unexplained case-by-case situation where a piece or pieces of furniture has been removed for some reason or another? Perhaps this is all "much ado about nothing" and when everyone gets on their next cruise, all the "normal" items will be there as always?

As I said, maybe I missed seeing specific cases being mentioned. If that's the case, my apologies.

Tom

If I didn't have so much invested in a non-refundable hotel room near the port and a non-refundable airline ticket and so forth, I would consider cancelling myself.   I was stupid (yes...my fault).   I had assumed my interior room would have a mini sofa.   But learning that not only was there not a mini sofa but not even an arm chair...really?  

I've got a plan to transform the twin bed into a sofa to try to make this cruise as pleasant as possible.   But my next cruise will likely not be on princess when there are other lines that are same or cheaper price and their interior rooms have a mini sofa!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

If you want to complain your best bet is to do it politely by sending your concerns to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

I have written to the customer relations department and am awaiting an answer.  Putting the table and chair in the closet is a fix if you don’t want to use them which works for you, not a bad idea if it is in the way but if there is no table, no chair, then we have no fix ... its not in the closet! 

• Like 2

The only answer I have come up with is to take a timer with us.  Wife gets 3 minutes in the chair then out she goes and I get 1 minute in the chair then out I go.  Will get tiring but could help us get our steps in. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6