Chairs removed to make more room?

johnatsis

3 hours ago, TwoCruisers said:

I have been on 21 Princess cruises and I do enjoy much of the Princess product. I must say that when I went on my first Princess cruise I was surprised that there was no small couch in the inside room like on my other cruises. If Princess wants to keep their customers as they age they better do a better job of making it more comfortable for back problems and other problems.

I recently ended my Pacific Princess cruise. All of the pictures I had seen before the cruise showed a small couch in all rooms. I was looking forward to the couch in the room. When entering my room I found that they had changed out the small couch for a chair.

Princess keeps making changes for their bottom line and not for their passengers. I have probably taken my last cruise on Princess. It’s too bad but I have finally gotten totally fed up with all of the negative Princess changes.

Agree.  Voting with your pocketbook sends a powerful message to Princess.

Since you have finally gotten fed up with all of the negative Princess changes, it is probably time for you to move on.  

So, what cruise line do you think you will be jumping to?

Good luck, and hope you find a cruise line that suits you.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Perhaps if more customers voiced their displeasure Ms. Swartz and the bean counters would take notice. 

Not yet ready to jump ship just hoping for a change for the better.  However, adult all inclusive's are in our future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Just sent an email advising them I will consider other cruise lines

Good for you.  Maybe it’s time for you to look at other cruise lines.  🙂

So, if Princess ignores your concerns, or does not respond positively by making the changes you want, what cruise line will you be moving to?

King

2 hours ago, louden said:

I have been following this thread for the last few days and now seems the time to express my opinions about what I consider to be the decline in the Princess "product".  Some may agree and I'm sure many will take issue but these are my thoughts.

Let me begin by saying we have been Loyal and Proud members of the Captain’s Circle for about 12 years.  Our first cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess on a seven day Caribbean cruise.  We were impressed with the size of the ship, the wonderful selection of entertainment in numerous venues, great food and our wonderful balcony cabin.  However, what impressed us most was the friendliness and competency of the crew.  This one aspect of the Princess product is what has kept us coming back for 37 cruises since that time.  Our cruises have ranged from 2 to 32 day voyages in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, trans-atlantics, Panamas and Tahiti.

Since our first cruise we have witnessed a decrease in the appeal of the product.  Following is a series of events which we believe have lessened the enjoyment of the Princess product to the point where we are considering taking alternative forms of vacation:

•      The introduction of the Royal Princess.  Following great fanfare this ship was a huge dis-appointment.  Let me state the shortcomings that come to mind:

·        The largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        The loss of the walk around promenade.

·        The loss of the aft pool

·        Both main pools adjacent

·        Useless water feature

·        Main theater without side isles.

·        No center staircase

·        Princess Live.

·        Vista lounge seating.

·        Loss of Wheelhouse lounge.

·        Loss of Skywalkers.

·        Did I mention the largest number of useless balconies at sea.

·        Continuing to introduce more of this class of ship

Note:  It is obvious that Princess noted some of these deficiencies since they attempted to correct some with the launch of subsequent ships of this class.

2.      Next came the butchering of the Island Princess

3.      The balcony furniture on the fleet was progressively replaced with less comfortable furniture.

4.      Balcony furniture went from 4 chairs to two without ottomans.  The large table was replaced with a small one barely large enough to hold two drinks.

5.      The Platinum/Elite lounge drink selection was changed to very unappealing choices.

6.      Increased drink prices and the loss of the Silver level wine card.

7.      A decrease in the quality and sophistication of the menu items in the dining rooms.

8.      Now the latest, the removal of the tub chair and table from the cabins.  Where am I to sit while my SO does her hair and makeup?  Dumb and dumber!

9.      Inconsistency of policy and practices between ships.

Enough complaining.  We have enjoyed our 37 Princess cruises and in fact have five more booked in the next 18 months.  As I stated at the outset what keeps us returning, avoiding the Royal class where possible, are the crew members.  From the bridge to the engine room they are outstanding.  However, changes to our travel plans are on the horizon.

So,  why do you continue to beat youself up by booking 5 more cruises in next 18 months on Princess?  Are you a glutton for punishment?  :classic_laugh:

Maye it is time to divorce yourself from Princess. :classic_smile:

Voice your displeasure of Princess by using the power of your pocketbook.  :classic_angry:

BTW, what’s your beef with the balconies?  “The largest number of useless balconies at sea.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

4 hours ago, TwoCruisers said:

I recently ended my Pacific Princess cruise. All of the pictures I had seen before the cruise showed a small couch in all rooms. I was looking forward to the couch in the room. When entering my room I found that they had changed out the small couch for a chair.

Were you in an adjoining cabin? Because of the door they do not have a sofa but only a chair.

Edited by Dietemann

On 2/4/2019 at 5:16 AM, johnatsis said:

Just on the Ruby Princess in a balcony room and noticed the small barrel chair was missing from the room - all you have to sit on is the awful little desk/makeup chair. I asked customer service about the removal and they said they removed the chairs to give you more space... I told them if they removed the beds we would have lots of room!

My wife is a little upset about no chair to sit and read her book - Thoughts...

I just want to touch on the line about "to give you more space"

Just a guess here but is anyone aware if there has ever been a slip and sue case with Princess with either the table and the chair moved and an occupant trips on them and initiates a legal case where Princess sees fit to remove them from the cabins as a hazard.

I cannot think of why they would just start taking them from the rooms without a reason. Perhaps repair bills are another reason. The tables do tend to have rather flimsy and wobbly legs and continually repairing them would be a drain on resources. Then the cushioned chair perhaps people have been returning from the pool wet and sitting on them ruining the fabric.

There has to be a reason why they are being removed, and probably a reason they do not want to tell their customers.

For me personally it is no big deal as I do not find them necessary to use in the cabin.

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

I was considering upgrading to a balcony from my obstructed view cabin that has no obstruction but if there is no longer a chair it wouldn’t be worth it to me so I will stay where I am on Upcoming Mexico cruise. 

I have booked mini mini suites ,but usually in the Carribean where they do not cost a lot more. Now primarily Cruise Europe where Mini suite prices can be thousands more per person. Just not worth it. I am paying $2600 pp on Norway-cruise in July. Balcony’s are 5k and were close to that when I booked. Minis south of 6 k pp. 

it seems if if you are on a cruise with fewports costs are dramatically lower. It’s all supply and demand. 

I will I’ll probably find a chair some where on the ship and bring it to my cabin 

There are nice barrel chairs in the Explorers and Wheelhouse bar.  Or take a nice chair from Crooners?   While I don’t advocate that you do it, but if you must have a chair in your stateroom, you could possibly take one of those to your stateroom?

Tell us if you’re successful at commandeering one of those chairs from the public areas.

Good luck.

King

46 minutes ago, Dietemann said:

Were you in an adjoining cabin? Because of the door they do not have a sofa but only a chair.

No, it was not an adjoining cabin. There was plenty of space for a small couch. There was one chair with plenty of extra space on both sides of the chair. They did add a small rectangular table next to the chair.

46 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Celebrity, perhaps Oceana. Of Course maybe some day Crystal.  Viking Ocean might also be an option. 

I think you will find Celebrity to be very similar to Princess. Go read their boards. The complaints are the same. We have sailed both lines and agree there has been some slippage in both. Still I think, good value for the money.

Oceania is great. Sailed them once. Roughly twice as expensive. You get what you pay for.

I believe Viking Ocean will be even more expensive based on the cost of their river cruises.

Crystal is like a thousand dollars a day. It better be almost perfect.

When all our kids leave home, we will have money to go on the more expensive lines. Right now, Princess is fine for us.

Edited by RMMariner
typo

1 hour ago, OCruisers said:

Has anyone had this problem in Mini-Suites?

Everything in ours in January was the same as it has always been.  

Also wondering on which Princess ship and type of cabin were things removed to make more room?  :classic_unsure:

4 hours ago, louden said:

I have been following this thread for the last few days and now seems the time to express my opinions about what I consider to be the decline in the Princess "product".  Some may agree and I'm sure many will take issue but these are my thoughts.

Let me begin by saying we have been Loyal and Proud members of the Captain’s Circle for about 12 years.  Our first cruise was aboard the Caribbean Princess on a seven day Caribbean cruise.  We were impressed with the size of the ship, the wonderful selection of entertainment in numerous venues, great food and our wonderful balcony cabin.  However, what impressed us most was the friendliness and competency of the crew.  This one aspect of the Princess product is what has kept us coming back for 37 cruises since that time.  Our cruises have ranged from 2 to 32 day voyages in the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, trans-atlantics, Panamas and Tahiti.

Since our first cruise we have witnessed a decrease in the appeal of the product.  Following is a series of events which we believe have lessened the enjoyment of the Princess product to the point where we are considering taking alternative forms of vacation:

•      The introduction of the Royal Princess.  Following great fanfare this ship was a huge dis-appointment.  Let me state the shortcomings that come to mind:

·        Princess Live.

Note:  It is obvious that Princess noted some of these deficiencies since they attempted to correct some with the launch of subsequent ships of this class.

3.      The balcony furniture on the fleet was progressively replaced with less comfortable furniture.

4.      Balcony furniture went from 4 chairs to two without ottomans.  The large table was replaced with a small one barely large enough to hold two drinks.

5.      The Platinum/Elite lounge drink selection was changed to very unappealing choices.

7.      A decrease in the quality and sophistication of the menu items in the dining rooms.

8.      Now the latest, the removal of the tub chair and table from the cabins.  Where am I to sit while my SO does her hair and makeup?  Dumb and dumber!

Enough complaining.  We have enjoyed our 37 Princess cruises and in fact have five more booked in the next 18 months.  As I stated at the outset what keeps us returning, avoiding the Royal class where possible, are the crew members.  From the bridge to the engine room they are outstanding.  However, changes to our travel plans are on the horizon.

You have written what should be sent to PCL in an email. I believe your tone to be perfect. 

Rather than confining your well written message to those of us who are almost powerless to change anything, please consider sending to Ms. Swartz and to their customer relations address. 

• Like 4

Is PCL thinking that we long-time cruisers (platinum & elite esp.) will just move up to mini-suites & suites, leaving the newcomers to the Insides, OVs & balconies.  Maybe they won't know/care about no chairs.

I now have to book HC cabins so I can get my scooter inside. I wonder what's happening to them.

Or perhaps PCL is putting Splash/Reef areas on deck 17 aft of all the grand class & similar ships as they are on the Caribbean Princess.

2 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

How long ago was that?

I recall this last occurring around 2004, then the marzipan was substituted by a cookie, and then the cookies disappeared around 3 years ago, and then the welcome back card disappeared about a year or two ago, and I haven’t gotten a welcome back stamp for sometime, either.  I just threw them away anyway.  

• Like 2

That blue barreled fabric thing is a chair? My wife treats it as a clothes horse! 😉 Much like the sofa in our bedroom. Wait! What? There is a piece of furniture under that huge pile of clothes in the corner of our bedroom?

I will miss the drinkies table in the cabin though 😞 

We did start out with inside cabins and migrated to mini cabins, but are now happy to save a little money and take a balcony cabin on the Caribe deck on the Grand class ships, so farewell chair and table.

I wish companies like Princess would not cut down the quality (depth and breadth of product), and increase prices appropriately, instead of trying to keep prices as low as possible and make up for that with less of everything we have been used to. 

But let's also think of the things they are improving - like Internet - even if about 5 - 10 years behind the eight-ball.

Still the staff are excellent and the ships kept up from our experience. 

7 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

Just a guess here but is anyone aware if there has ever been a slip and sue case with Princess with either the table and the chair moved and an occupant trips on them and initiates a legal case where Princess sees fit to remove them from the cabins as a hazard.

If that is the reason, we had better hope nobody trips on the bed frame.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, louden said:

·        Princess Live.

If Princess wants to open things up/create more space, they should refit the balconies like the Celebrity Edge. I guess spending more money to create a better balcony cabin would go against enhancing the comfort/seating for their passengers. Got to get them out of their staterooms, to spend money on bingo, drinks, etc.