Cruising to Antarctica and South America with many photos

scubacruiserx2

We returned to Stanley about 3 pm and drove past a number of the sites like this whale gun and skeleton

DSC04969_zpshiu4qfho.jpg

We had about an hour before the last tender and wanted to walk a little so we thanked Kurt for a job well done and  said goodbye .

DSC04980_zpslx1f82hr.jpg

Christ Church Cathedral

DSC04982_zpsd61hrrpx.jpg

and it's whalebone arch

IMG_9426%201_zpsytpcw5qz.jpg

We wanted to have a pint and some fish and chips but we didn't think that we would have time

DSC04996_zpsopztci6r.jpg

We did pick up a few things for the grandsons and didn't realize that we gave Pounds Sterling and received Falkland Islands Pounds as change

DSC05783_zpsidmptqjx.jpg

You can see that Christ Church , King penguins and sheep appear on the currency

IMG_5111_zpszwqlsvkk.jpg

Both denominations photos are the same fore and aft but the color is different

IMG_5370_zpsmimscoca.jpg

• Like 2

I just read your entire thread in anticipation of our planned November 2020 cruise on the Westerdam with a similar itinerary.   Loved all your photos!

When you have time, could you please suggest any helpful hints, such as - is there anything you didn’t bring for this cruise that you should have brought?  Anything you brought that you really didn’t need (bathing suit!  Ha!)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Edited by ilovhywd

Scubacruiserx2,

I'm glad that I was able to find your photos.  We were supposed to be on the cruise with you but had to cancel less than two weeks before departure.  Happily, we have rebooked and are looking forward to going in December.  

Joan

16 hours ago, ilovhywd said:

I just read your entire thread in anticipation of our planned November 2020 cruise on the Westerdam with a similar itinerary.   Loved all your photos!

When you have time, could you please suggest any helpful hints, such as - is there anything you didn’t bring for this cruise that you should have brought?  Anything you brought that you really didn’t need (bathing suit!  Ha!)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Thank you.

We wished we would have brought - our own travel alarm clock and more SD cards , spare batteries and chargers for your cameras.

We would suggest bringing warm clothing that you can layer like long sleeves, vest, waterproof jacket or windbreaker, scarf for neck/head( even if it is sunny and "warm" it is very windy), hat and gloves, sunglasses, warm socks and "waterproof" shoes, binoculars,  Also,  a power adapter if you are staying off ship. Water - we ordered bottled water from HAL ahead of time. Little things like chapstick or hand lotion are expensive in port and on ship. A little "medicine cabinet", pain med, cold  and sinus meds, pepto, Imodium, alka-seltzer, motion sickness and the like. We found it is better to have them and not need them than to not have them and wish you did.

We did take our swim suits, but did not use them. We had planned on using the sauna, hot tub or pool, but most of our time on ship was spent  on our balcony. The ships blackout curtains we good but you may want to take sleeping mask also for those long days of light .

We spent most of the time in blue jeans until Buenos Aires.

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hunky dory said:

Scubacruiserx2,

I'm glad that I was able to find your photos.  We were supposed to be on the cruise with you but had to cancel less than two weeks before departure.  Happily, we have rebooked and are looking forward to going in December.  

Joan

We're glad that you found it too Joan . We were sorry that you had to cancel but health comes first and we hope that everything is better now . We think that it will be well worth wait !

Thanks so much for the detailed suggestions.  You are so right!  In the past, I have brought half of CVS with me.  The more I bring, the less I need.  But it's better to be prepared!

24 minutes ago, ilovhywd said:

Thanks so much for the detailed suggestions.  You are so right!  In the past, I have brought half of CVS with me.  The more I bring, the less I need.  But it's better to be prepared!

We ran out of Ibuprofen and went to the drug store in B A  where waited in line to see the pharmacist . We were told that we needed to have a paper number that we didn't know about . She did allow us to go with out one and gave us a receipt to pay at the cashier . We then got another receipt  from the cashier to return to pickup our Ibuprofin . On our first trip to Punta Arenas in 2007 we picked up a tube of chapstik which was unmarked . The price when we paid was $ 5  !

Our day at sea was fairly routine but we noticed that it was getting warmer and the sea was a different color

IMG_9445_zpsacbznsrw.jpg

The highlight of the day was the Cellar Masters Dinner

DSC05037_zpsbom96klj.jpg

DSC05011_zpsyjalvkqs.jpg

DSC05014_zpsuofrcwbm.jpg

DSC05017_zpsero4n4jn.jpg

DSC05019_zpsoe7gbepi.jpg

DSC05021_zps6tqhiscl.jpg

DSC05022_zpscl50nk06.jpg

A pretty afternoon at sea with Punta Tombo on the brain

DSC05029_zpsz3i7gi2r.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Just got caught up with your reports, pictures and videos.

Love those Cellar Master dinners.

We do too . One thing that we missed on this cruise was a Murder Mystery Dinner that was held on our last cruise on the Zaandam in South America . It was good fun and a great dinner as we met and dined with some of the suspects .

IMG_3807-001_zps9029f334.jpg

• Like 1

They had a ramp next to the pier for us to descend

IMG_9453_zps8qg6n6vc.jpg

Our guide Max met us at the small building on the pier and gave us a map . We were headed South to Punta Tombo .

DSC05165_zps0nkoz1c8.jpg

We needed to walk to the end of the pier where the van was . It's a long walk ! We did stop in the parking lot for a fluke photo of the both of us .

DSC05109_zpsx2rka9kh.jpg

We made a beeline for the park about 2 hours away and only stopped for a couple wildlife photos

DSC05115_zpsslzaaxlk.jpg

DSC05112_zpsinms3cog.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shebba said:

I just 'caught up' on your thread. What a beautiful experience you have had!! Thank you for sharing and I look forward to more posts!!

Thank you for your kind words We have doctor experience for this morning so we do more when we get back .

At Punto Tombo there are gravel paths and walkways that lead down toward the ocean

IMG_7318_zpsyqguhxpb.jpg

we wanted to move down quickly before the busses arrived 

IMG_7326_zpsbxllvyzf.jpg

in addition to penguins you can also see guanaco

IMG_7403_zpsnoxjrtwn.jpg

as I was taking a photo my wife called my name

IMG_7429_zpshvu0j2kb.jpg

I took some still shots

IMG_7451_zpscuveq4vp.jpg

IMG_7453_zpswt3ylzsl.jpg

and she got the video :

• Like 1