Luminae on Equinox??

39august

First time to eat in Luminae coming up on Equinox. Menus look less interesting than Blu menus to me! Are there any "always available" dishes? Can you order from the MDR menus? Can you request a dish from another night's menu if you order it a day in advance? Say you had a veal chop one night and later in the week would like to have it again

Yes, you can order from the main dining room menu. There are no “always available” dishes on the Luminae menu, just the ones on the MDR menu. We have ordered from it on several occasions. As for requesting a special  dish, there have been posts where Luminae guests have done so, although we never have.  I would talk to the Luminae maitre'd or hostess. 

Please give the Luminae menu a chance. The food is excellent. Sometimes the description on the menu isn’t as appealing as the dish is when you try it. Your server will happily answer any questions. If you don’t like something, ask to try a different item. The servers really want to please you.

Edited by Straughn

We did Luminea on the Equinox this past December.  The answer to all your questions is yes.  Just ask, they will go out of their way to please.  I seem to recall one night that their menu did not appeal to me and I ordered their steak from the MD.  I think it was a better cut of meat than would normally be gotten from the MDR.   I feel Luminea is as good or better than they're speciality restaurants.  The staff in Luminea was simply amazing.

Rollie

1 hour ago, Husky61 said:

We always eat in Luminae or a specialty restaurant.  We stopped eating in the MDR and buffet years ago.😃

you should try the buffet, it's much better than it once was.

Rollie

16 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but we don't eat at buffets anywhere, including cruise ships. I just don't care for them.😄

What do you do on port days when Luminea is closed for lunch?

3 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

Usually we will eat in port, or Alfredo's, or just grab a hamburger. If I can't do any of those we'll order room service, or I'll just go hungry before I will eat in a buffet.😃

Perhaps you are confusing Celebrity with Princess?

The Porch is a nice option on the Silhouette or Reflection.

No comparsion luminae so much better then blu.  Even the spacing between tables in Luminae so much better.  In Luminae not only can you order from mdr menu, but you can ask the wait staff for special orders.  Having sailed aq, mdr and luminae, we prefer Luminae. If we do not sail in a suite, a well located balcony cabin,  imo best option.  With fare saved, we dine almost all evenings in specialty restaurants.

we rarely used persian garden, and didn’t like teas, atomizer in cabin.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We book Aqua Class, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.  I actually like Blu and when dining there never wonder what is on the MDR menu that particular night; many times when in Luminae I find myself ordering from the MDR menu.  In particular it seems for me that the Luminae menu is lacking in interesting salads and starters.  And during lunch at Luminae I almost always order off the MDR lunch menu.

But just a quick comment on the Ocean View buffet -- I am one of the folks who has found that the buffet has improved dramatically for dinner.  In 2016 we were on a series of cruises on the Eclipse which included a Norwegian fjords itinerary.  Several of the sail outs were in long fjords and we didn't want to miss the scenery.  While I am generally not a fan of buffets we had dinner several nights in the Ocean View, and were surprised by the quality and variety.

18 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Usually we will eat in port, or Alfredo's, or just grab a hamburger. If I can't do any of those we'll order room service, or I'll just go hungry before I will eat in a buffet.😃

I think on Celebrity the buffet is much superior to room service, by and large. I guess most of us wouldn't eat at OVC in our jammies, LOL, but I haven't been impressed with the room service offerings, and it is hit or miss whether or not the food is hot.

I have found the OVC to have quite good food, and a variety that allows you to have a snack, a "lunch" or a "sit down meal". And that is based predominantly on eating breakfast and lunch, doesn't count the specialty nights they do at dinner.

I like the food in Blu, but I have found that over time (like the 15 night cruise we did) I need more veggies than accompany the meals in cruise ship (or restaurant for that matter) dining rooms. Not just salad, but cooked veggies as well, and not pasta, which is what the dinner vegetarian option often contains. OVC actually lets me make a plate with more vegetables and fruit than the dining room.

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

I think on Celebrity the buffet is much superior to room service, by and large. I guess most of us wouldn't eat at OVC in our jammies, LOL, but I haven't been impressed with the room service offerings, and it is hit or miss whether or not the food is hot.

I have found the OVC to have quite good food, and a variety that allows you to have a snack, a "lunch" or a "sit down meal". And that is based predominantly on eating breakfast and lunch, doesn't count the specialty nights they do at dinner.

I like the food in Blu, but I have found that over time (like the 15 night cruise we did) I need more veggies than accompany the meals in cruise ship (or restaurant for that matter) dining rooms. Not just salad, but cooked veggies as well, and not pasta, which is what the dinner vegetarian option often contains. OVC actually lets me make a plate with more vegetables and fruit than the dining room.

Thanks for your comments, but as I said, my wife and I don't eat in buffets.  Happy that you like them and you think the food quality is good.  I don't, but thanks for your information.

We don't usually order room service, but when we have,  the food has been much better than the buffet.  Maybe it is because we always book a royal suite on Celebrity. Not sure that they pay more attention to how they prepare it, but we can usually order what we want.😃