CAPE LIBERTY (and NYC) 411-VERSION 5!!!

megr1125

Hi there, we are driving in on Nov 22 for our Nov 23 cruise on the Anthem of the Seas.  Any recommendations on hotel, given the considerations below?

• 4 people: 2 adults, 1 toddler (4yrs), 1 infant (8mths)
  • Parking included, with free shuttle to/from cruise port, in a vehicle that doesn't require kids to be in carseats (we may end up bringing them anyways for the shore excursions, but seeing if we can get away without lugging them around with us)
  • Safe area, as I may be taking the two kids out on my own without hubby during the day on the 22nd
  • Under $250/night (including the parking/shuttles, etc.)
  • Bonus: Marriott/SPG properties preferred, but not necessary

Am I asking too much?  So much more to think about when travelling with young kids! 😐  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide!! 

4 hours ago, rbbitz said:

Hi there, we are driving in on Nov 22 for our Nov 23 cruise on the Anthem of the Seas.  Any recommendations on hotel, given the considerations below?

• 4 people: 2 adults, 1 toddler (4yrs), 1 infant (8mths)
  • Parking included, with free shuttle to/from cruise port, in a vehicle that doesn't require kids to be in carseats (we may end up bringing them anyways for the shore excursions, but seeing if we can get away without lugging them around with us)
  • Safe area, as I may be taking the two kids out on my own without hubby during the day on the 22nd
  • Under $250/night (including the parking/shuttles, etc.)
  • Bonus: Marriott/SPG properties preferred, but not necessary

Am I asking too much?  So much more to think about when travelling with young kids! 😐  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide!! 

Your only option under $250 total for a hotel room at the Ramada, is parking, and round trip port transportation in a shuttle bus is through trinityreservations.com at $238 tax included for 2 double beds.  If you need a crib, email trinity to make sure you have what you need.  They are very nice - a reputable faith based business.  I have used this package and was very happy with it.  Unlike many EWR properties, the Ramada is a full service hotel with cafe and restaurant.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area.  From any of the hotels except for the ones on International Blvd in Elizabeth, there’s really no place to walk to (no stores and restaurants)from the hotel other than another hotel.  The Ramada is next to the Doubletree, so that could be a destination to get the kids out.  These two properties are rather large and safe to walk around in the daytime - they are in an isolated area north of the airport with very limited pedestrian access.  Almost all the activity in that area would be hotel related - folks are coming and going from these hotels 7x24 and there are security personnel controlling the gated vehicle access to the property.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, rubens said:

Greetings from Belgium

As this will be our first cruise out of Port Liberty I would like answers to a few questions. Sorry if these have been asked before.

We will land at EWR on 9/17 and spend 5 days in NYC before boarding.

We are staying in Jersey City in an apartment very close to PATH Grove station. So first we need transport from EWR to Jersey City

Are large taxis available at EWR? We are 4 adults with 4 large suitcases and 4 trolleys ?

Should it be better (but probably more expensive) to book private transport/shuttle beforehand)?

I know about UBER etc. but without access to mobile internet  while roaming I prefer not to use these.

On 9/22 we need to go to the port. Same questions as above.

After the cruise we have flights to Europe from EWR  in late afternoon.  Again taxi or? And where to spend some time before departure?

Could we drop our luggage somewhere while shopping /dining at The Mills at Jersey Garden?

Maybe a day room for luggage close to the mall with shuttle to Airport?

Many thanks in advance for help.

😪 oh I was expecting at least one answer  but no !

Hello all!  We are cruising on Anthem out of Cape Liberty this summer and I just printed out the driving directions. It states... "At this time, there is no covered or valet parking at Cape Liberty Cruise Port". Are they renovating the garage? Curious what happened to the garage and why its not in use.  

39 minutes ago, jjtt said:

Hello all!  We are cruising on Anthem out of Cape Liberty this summer and I just printed out the driving directions. It states... "At this time, there is no covered or valet parking at Cape Liberty Cruise Port". Are they renovating the garage? Curious what happened to the garage and why its not in use.  

Could you tell us where you printed those "driving directions" from?   The Cruise Port's web site does not say anything like that and still refers to the garage and the adjacent lot:

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/directions_parking.html

Turtles06, I just looked at the link you posted. Oh my, it is not the same one I found. Its totally different, even the cost per day to park there. The one I found and printed says the cost is $19 per day.  I found it on the TA's website that I booked with, Direct Line Cruises. 

3 hours ago, rubens said:

😪 oh I was expecting at least one answer  but no !

I will answer later. I’m not a good private transportation person. I understand 4 large suitcases, but what are “4 trolleys”.  No luggage storage at EWR. Folks have gotten day rooms at Extended Stay America near the mall. 

37 minutes ago, jjtt said:

Turtles06, I just looked at the link you posted. Oh my, it is not the same one I found. Its totally different, even the cost per day to park there. The one I found and printed says the cost is $19 per day.  I found it on the TA's website that I booked with, Direct Line Cruises. 

It would seem to be totally out of date.  Always a good idea to look at the official web site, for whatever you are doing.  🤣.

Enjoy the Anthem!  We've sailed on her twice.

(PS: We're not allowed to mention the names of specific travel agents on here.)

1 hour ago, rubens said:

Thanks, trolleys if needed could be taken inside the car

Important question is do they have taxis MPV type vehicle

For other clueless folks like myself.  Luggage trolleys are luggage carts - usually foldable for personal use.  MVP = minivan in the US

19 minutes ago, rubens said:

Sorry, i meant trolleys= carry-ons (cabin luggage)

Minivan correct

No “sorry” required.  I’m hoping you get some responses.  We usually recommend booking a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo for your kinds of trips.  They will quote a fixed base price.  Any tolls are extra, but they are only a few $$ since you are staying in NJ.  Expected tip is 18-20% of the base price.

If you don’t have a working cell phone, check out the car service prices anyway so you can evaluate a taxi price.  There is a taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty.  There have been some reports of folks getting overcharged, so verify the price before you get in a cab. I might be tempted to take a picture of the vehicle as well.

I stayed at Grove St last year and really enjoyed it.  Great location with PATH service to both midtown and downtown.  Do your downtown sightseeing on a weekday - there is track work on PATH to World Trade on weekends, but there is also an opportunity to get a free ferry transfer across the Hudson River if you’re not in a hurry. Read the sticky at the top of this forum.

15 hours ago, 138east said:

Your only option under $250 total for a hotel room at the Ramada, is parking, and round trip port transportation in a shuttle bus is through trinityreservations.com at $238 tax included for 2 double beds.  If you need a crib, email trinity to make sure you have what you need.  They are very nice - a reputable faith based business.  I have used this package and was very happy with it.  Unlike many EWR properties, the Ramada is a full service hotel with cafe and restaurant.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area.  From any of the hotels except for the ones on International Blvd in Elizabeth, there’s really no place to walk to (no stores and restaurants)from the hotel other than another hotel.  The Ramada is next to the Doubletree, so that could be a destination to get the kids out.  These two properties are rather large and safe to walk around in the daytime - they are in an isolated area north of the airport with very limited pedestrian access.  Almost all the activity in that area would be hotel related - folks are coming and going from these hotels 7x24 and there are security personnel controlling the gated vehicle access to the property.

Thanks for the response and helpful info!

Are there any other hotels that provide shuttle bus service to the port outside of those properties contracted through Trinity?  For example, it might be cheaper (and nicer) for me to book a room using points at a Marriott property and pay separately for their parking/shuttle services.  If no other properties have shuttle busses, is my only option then to call a cab/uber to get us to the cruise port, in which case I would then have to figure out car seat logistics?

As for heading out with the kids, I am okay to drive out, doesn't have to be walking distance. Maybe we can just hang out at a mall for a while, and go ham at some of the fun stores we don't have in Canada (target, trader Joe's :D).  We'll probably also pick up diapers in the US too.  So much cheaper 🙂

7 hours ago, rbbitz said:

Thanks for the response and helpful info!

Are there any other hotels that provide shuttle bus service to the port outside of those properties contracted through Trinity?  For example, it might be cheaper (and nicer) for me to book a room using points at a Marriott property and pay separately for their parking/shuttle services.  If no other properties have shuttle busses, is my only option then to call a cab/uber to get us to the cruise port, in which case I would then have to figure out car seat logistics?

As for heading out with the kids, I am okay to drive out, doesn't have to be walking distance. Maybe we can just hang out at a mall for a while, and go ham at some of the fun stores we don't have in Canada (target, trader Joe's :D).  We'll probably also pick up diapers in the US too.  So much cheaper 🙂

Embassy Suites and Country Inns provide add on shuttle bus services at $20/pp and $17.50/pp each way which would be $160 or $140 for your family plus the cost of the hotel room.

Let’s look at it another way and forget the shuttle buses and the car seats.  With 2 very small children why aren’t you just paying the $176 for the convenience of parking at the port for an 8 day cruise?  IMO given what you’re looking for, the very urban EWR area just isn’t going to give it to you.  You have Marriott points.  Look at Harmon Meadows in Secaucus - http://www.harmonmeadow.com/PublishingImages/HMDirectory.pdf   The Courtyard and Residence Inn there are 25,000 points for your date.  This puts you in a much nicer suburban area with stores and restaurants and free parking (all the EWR hotels charge for parking).  

Where are you coming from in Canada and by what route?  Parsippany (near I80 & I287j is another area we frequently recommend about an hour from the port.  Several Marriott hotels in that area are 17,500 points for Nov 22.  This is another more suburban area with hotels, restaurants, and services.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, megr1125 said:

It's just a crappy area though it's adjacent to a shopping center.  There are a LOT of No Tell Motels VERY close by and while I've been in the Target, Starbucks and Grocery store that are in the shopping center, you couldn't pay me to sleep there. And there's a state prison just down the road.

If you take the NJ Turnpike to 78 then yes there will be a toll but I honestly don't know how much since A) I have EzPass and rarely look at the bill and B) am only in that area once every 4 or 5 years out of necessity or boredom.

Where is this bad area?  Are you talking about by the outlet mall in Elizabeth?  If so, I need to continue my search.

13 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Where is this bad area?  Are you talking about by the outlet mall in Elizabeth?  If so, I need to continue my search.

Meg’s post from late Feb refers to hotels in Linden, NJ.  The outlet mall area in Elizabeth is fine.  IMO it’s the best area EWR has to offer because it’s an easy off easy on for the turnpike and it has eateries and the mall including movies.  It’s the best this highly urban industrialized area has to offer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Meg was answering a question about staying in Linden, not about staying near the outlet mall in Elizabeth.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What about the Westin in Jersey City?  It's not much further out of our way and looks nice.  Is it?  Is it close to restaurants?  Looks like it would be.  Would it be more difficult to get to the port from there than Elizabeth?  We are leaving on a Sunday.

The Westin would be great.  Sorry - Didn’t even think to mention that since you asked about three specific hotels.  That whole area of Jersey City is recently developed with hotels, restaurants, services, Newport Mall, and a nice waterfront promenade.  It’s usually a more expensive hotel and I bet more points.  Also a charge for parking.

IMO it’s not more difficult to get to the port (it’s actually closer), but it is a little bit of extra driving (well worth it) on I78 and local streets.  I have stayed at the Courtyard Newport and Residence Inn in that area and would recommend them as well.

11 minutes ago, 138east said:

The Westin would be great.  Sorry - Didn’t even think to mention that since you asked about three specific hotels.  That whole area of Jersey City is recently developed with hotels, restaurants, services, Newport Mall, and a nice waterfront promenade.  It’s usually a more expensive hotel and I bet more points.  Also a charge for parking.

IMO it’s not more difficult to get to the port (it’s actually closer), but it is a little bit of extra driving (well worth it) on I78 and local streets.  I have stayed at the Courtyard Newport and Residence Inn in that area and would recommend them as well.

Yes, it’s a few more points than we have, but we could buy enough for only $12.50. The parking is the same as the others. Think it’s worth the extra cost and a few more minutes drive from home?

16 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Yes, it’s a few more points than we have, but we could buy enough for only $12.50. The parking is the same as the others. Think it’s worth the extra cost and a few more minutes drive from home?

I personally think it’s worth it.  The atmosphere in the Newport area of Jersey City is new and upscale whereas the airport area is urban industrialized.  The hotel is a few city blocks from I78.  You can actually stroll on the waterfront and see lower NYC day and night.  The Freedom Tower is lit up at night and it’s awesome.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 138east said:

I personally think it’s worth it.  The atmosphere in the Newport area of Jersey City is new and upscale whereas the airport area is urban industrialized.  The hotel is a few city blocks from I78.  You can actually stroll on the waterfront and see lower NYC day and night.  The Freedom Tower is lit up at night and it’s awesome.

Are there nearby restaurants for breakfast and lunch?

10 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Are there nearby restaurants for breakfast and lunch?

https://www.opentable.com/landmark/restaurants-near-the-westin-jersey-city-newport

Yes.  There are lots of offices in the area.  My company along with many other companies moved everyone out of the Wall Street area after 911.