Non eater at specialty

JoeFan

Hi,

I want to dine a specialty restaurants with my family of 4. My daughter is a foodie and will eat anything, but my special needs son won’t eat any of that. 

Will he be able to sit with us without paying for him?

2 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Hi,

I want to dine a specialty restaurants with my family of 4. My daughter is a foodie and will eat anything, but my special needs son won’t eat any of that. 

Royal tries very hard not to disappoint a cruiser and make the experience one that would encourage them to cruise again.   So I would expect that they would allow him to stay with you at the table.  You don't mention the age of your son, either.  My question is.....what will your son then have for dinner? Is your plan to bring a plate of food from the WJ for him to have while the rest of you are dining?  

2 hours ago, JoeFan said:

Hi,

A few items.  Contact special needs with the question.  Kids do have a kid's price and kid's menu, and you didn't state the age so can't answer that part.  Does he normally eat when you eat?  Because it would seem strange that he isn't eating.  That is why you need to contact special needs.  My guess is that you will pay the kid's price

Thanks. With most kids I would just set them lose while I enjoy an adult dinner. He is very well behaved. That is not the issue. He just won’t eat warranting paying for him. 

At Disney we avoid buffets and character meals unless I want to pay $40 for him to not eat. 

That’s why I ask. Disney is not so flexible. And I just avoid it  

• Like 1

You have somewhat of a unique situation and no one on these boards can likely provide the definitive answer. I suggest you speak with the restaurant manager when you board and explain the situation.

Don't be surprised if they want to charge you something and maybe you'll get lucky and they will only charge you for a child's meal. 

Best wishes.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Thanks 1

I have a special needs (senior citizen, as well ) sister.  We have taken her on two cruises, once on Celebrity and the other on RCCL.   Both times the staff went out of their way to make her cruise enjoyable.  I never asked for anything special for her, the staff just seemed to understand and try to make everything work for her.   She had a blast on both trips.  Unfortunately she now has mobility issues and will not be able to take any more cruises with us, but we are so glad we had her with us on these two.   Hope you and your family, and especially your son, have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

I understand your problem (have a 19 yo severely autistic grandson), but am concerned about chefs table since seating is very limited (unlike Chops for example where you would have your own table for four). You might wait to check when you board. I

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Sorry. He is 15 and is very poor eater, hot dogs, chicken fingers

didnt want to get judged. 

Where as my daughter will eat anything. I would love to take her to the chefs table. 

Of course you won't get judged! It always makes me feel sad when parents feel like they might get judged for whatever reason. 

Definitely either contact Royal before you go, or speak to the restaurant manager while on board they are pretty good and I imagine they would be accommodating to your families needs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, gerif said:

I understand your problem (have a 19 yo severely autistic grandson), but am concerned about chefs table since seating is very limited (unlike Chops for example where you would have your own table for four). You might wait to check when you board. I

The biggest issue with the Chefs table is that it is a 2-21/2 hour meal where your grandson would have to sit at the table. Would he be able to do that comfortably?

5 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Just bring him and tell them he's not eating.

Do you really think they are going to ask him to leave?

Unfortunately some places would make him pay just to be in Restaurant. Mostly Buffets, Disney type Character meals. But probably not in this situation long as not eating anything from there. Have 38 Nephews and Nieces with 2 of them in similar situation as OP's kid

Edited by ONECRUISER

Hi just to chime in... I am following this thread closely. We will be cruising Anthem of the Seas next week with an Aspergers 14-year-old who has dietary requirements almost exactly like what you describe (Our guy won't eat hot dogs though, just chicken fingers). We are facing challenges trying to figure out specialty dining experiences with and/or without him. This thread is invaluable. Thought we were the only ones. Goes to show that no one's situation is unique...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cplyons said:

Hi just to chime in... I am following this thread closely. We will be cruising Anthem of the Seas next week with an Aspergers 14-year-old who has dietary requirements almost exactly like what you describe (Our guy won't eat hot dogs though, just chicken fingers). We are facing challenges trying to figure out specialty dining experiences with and/or without him. This thread is invaluable. Thought we were the only ones. Goes to show that no one's situation is unique...

So not alone. Welcome.

I have emailed the special needs group. I am hoping for a definitive answer and will post here when I get it. As I said this is new ground for us. I am sure they will help, I just don't want to assume.

We are frequent Disney visitors and while Disney may try to be accommodating, they just aren't.  Character meals for non eaters still get charged an "entertainment fee" which isn't much less than the regular price. We just avoid the situation and go to sit down restaurants. Same reason we stay away from buffets. We went to TopGolf yesterday and ordered him the Chicken Fingers. He drank the lemonade and ate 1 and a half of the 4 fingers and none of the fries.  At 15 he is considered an adult. They would give him chicken fingers at 'Ohana at the adult price. I am not going to pay $50 for him to have two chicken fingers. I love Disney but I don't want to just give them my money. Sorry, this turned into a Disney bash. But the struggle is real.