Captain Kate

mfs2k

We enjoyed sailing with Captain Kate last October.  She has a great sense of humor, is friendly and participates in a lot of ship events.  Also met Bugnaked, whom I really think runs the ship! Lol...I believe she said a few other captains have birds along with them.  Her pictures and captions on Instagram are priceless.  

• Like 1

I thought she was wonderful!   Nice, friendly, funny.   She was constantly stopping to talk to passengers and get pictures taken with them.   She was nice enough to pose for me the day she was handing out sweets in Cafe Boccio.  Also shook everyone's hand as they exited the cruise.   A real class act.

2018-09-29 16.11.25 - Copy.jpg

2018-09-29 19.39.26.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2019 at 8:59 AM, Wine-O said:

I thought only Service Dogs were allowed on Celebrity Ships.  What service does that cat perform, I wonder?:classic_rolleyes:

Bug Naked is used as an alarm clock to wake Captain Kate up. :classic_biggrin:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/female-cruise-captain-cat

We have had the privilege of sailing with Captain Kate on the Summit.  We loved her...she helped make the cruise special!

30 minutes ago, cosmo1027 said:

We are sailing Equinox August 10th.  I would be thrilled if we get the chance to sail with her.  It sounds like we may either just make it, or just miss her.

She will be done with equinox on March 30th. 

I hate to say it but I find some of the things cpt Kate does a bit off putting. Doing make overs in the spa, pushing jewellery and handing out chocolates isn’t really something I want my cpt doing.

To me being a cpt is a prestigious position.I would be interested to hear how others that work in the industry in those positions feel about some of the things she does.

having said that I’m definitely in the minority as most passengers seem to love the things she does.

Nothing against her personally, I just find the social media stuff a bit over the top.

Edited by rance
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rance said:

I hate to say it but I find some of the things cpt Kate does a bit off putting. Doing make overs in the spa, pushing jewellery and handing out chocolates isn’t really something I want my cpt doing.

To me being a cpt is a prestigious position.I would be interested to hear how others that work in the industry in those positions feel about some of the things she does.

having said that I’m definitely in the minority as most passengers seem to love the things she does.

Nothing against her personally, I just find the social media stuff a bit over the top.

Those type of activities are more suited to the Cruise Director and his/her staff.  I agree with the dignity issue.  Captains should preserve some  kind of mystique and/or gravitas in line with their premier position on the ship.  It instills a sense of confidence in the passengers in that they are in capable and sober hands.

I don't mind the joking but leave the fluff activities to the crew.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel terribly sorry for her Sphynx cat. A sociable breed, they shouldn't live as an only cat, and what kind of life must it have being confined to a ships cabin, when it needs space to be able to exercise. Being an owner of this breed this deeply saddens me. As for a woman captain, as long as we don't sink I really have no preference whatsoever!

When we took our ship's tour, Bug Naked was sitting in the Captain's chair on the Bridge while Captain Kate was elsewhere working. Needless to say, she gets lots of attention from the other crew members while she's large and in charge on the bridge. 

As always, I congratulate Captain McCue on her success at Celebrity, but wish she would acknowledge the ground breaking done by her predecessors, where the first US female Captain took command of a ship 30 years ago.

It has been my experience that the role of Captain on cruise ships is far from the traditional role of Captain aboard merchant ships.  The Staff Captain takes most of the traditional duties and day to day operation of the ship, while the Captain has become the "CEO" of the ship, and is expected by many cruise lines to be more of an ambassador for the line.  This appears to be where Captain McCue excels over other just as professionally qualified and skilled male Captains.

And while the customers appear to prefer a Captain who is out and about with them, and sociable, and feel that this improves the "atmosphere" of the cruise, many also feel that this affects the "tenor" of the crew so they will also provide a better cruise experience.  However, it is my experience that the Captain who makes far more time available to mingle with the crew will have more effect on crew morale and crew performance of service to customers than mingling with the passengers.  The crew know it is not the Captain's job to mingle with the passengers, it is theirs, but if the Captain and management treat them with respect and respect for the job they do, then the crew will do that job of providing service to the passengers better.

Frankly, and just my personal opinion, the flouting of company policy, even when openly permitted by corporate, in allowing the Captain to have a cat onboard is unprofessional.  It takes away some of the "egalitarianism" that Captain McCue uses in her onboard persona, and brings in elitism.  What if the Staff Captain, also a fully qualified master mariner, wanted to bring a pet onboard?

I will add that I have worked with many female deck and engine officers over my career, and gender plays no role in my opinion of them.  As Belichek says, "just do your job", and that is the only criteria.  I have not served under a female Captain, but know some, and feel they are just as qualified and skilled as their male counterparts, and would not hesitate to serve with them.

Edited by chengkp75

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

y, but wish she would acknowledge the ground breaking done by her predecessors, where the first US female Captain took command of a ship 30 years ago.

Why?  Her personal achievement can stand on it own. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

the flouting of company policy, even when openly permitted by corporate, in allowing the Captain to have a cat onboard is unprofessional.  It takes away some of the "egalitarianism" that Captain McCue uses in her onboard persona, and brings in elitism.  What if the Staff Captain, also a fully qualified master mariner, wanted to bring a pet onboard?

Because she’s Captain. As my boss used to say “Sh*t doesn’t flow up.”  

If the Captain’s boss doesn’t want the Captain  to bring the cat on board they’ll tell her. It’s none of our business. 

But that cat has about 20,000 Instagram followers so Celebrity probably loves having Bugnaked as a brand ambassador too. 

31 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Because she’s Captain. As my boss used to say “Sh*t doesn’t flow up.”  

If the Captain’s boss doesn’t want the Captain  to bring the cat on board they’ll tell her. It’s none of our business. 

But that cat has about 20,000 Instagram followers so Celebrity probably loves having Bugnaked as a brand ambassador too. 

Because the ISM code requires the company, and it's ships to write their procedures and policies, and follow those procedures and policies.  Now, if Celebrity has a written policy that any crew member can bring a pet onboard, or even that Captain's only are allowed to bring pets onboard, then that is one thing.  If, however, as I believe, there either is no policy regarding this, or a policy prohibiting it, then there is a problem.  I believe that this is "tacit" approval, and that the cat is kept well out of sight when an ISM auditor is on the ship, as this could be considered a "non-conformity" in the ISM code.  And, as I say, flaunting a policy "because I'm the boss" is unprofessional.  As for being a brand ambassador, this can also backfire in that passengers may now feel it  is acceptable to bring pets on cruises with them, since it is allowed in one instance.

15 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Gosh. You’re negative. 

I dont think there’s anyone in the cruise world unaware of @BugNaked. 

Really.  21k followers among the 25 million cruise passengers is "everyone"?

As for negativity, I believe in command "responsibility" not command "perks".  Not following the policies and procedures leads to contempt for those policies and procedures by subordinates.

And while Captain McCue's accomplishments do stand on their own, without the help of those pioneering women 30 years ago, she would not have had the opportunity to even start a career in the maritime.

And, yes, I fully realized I was likely kicking the hornet's nest with anything other than a glowing, unconditional, endorsement of Captain McCue.

Edited by chengkp75

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Really.  21k followers among the 25 million cruise passengers is "everyone"?

As for negativity, I believe in command "responsibility" not command "perks".  Not following the policies and procedures leads to contempt for those policies and procedures by subordinates.

And while Captain McCue's accomplishments do stand on their own, without the help of those pioneering women 30 years ago, she would not have had the opportunity to even start a career in the maritime.

And, yes, I fully realized I was likely kicking the hornet's nest with anything other than a glowing, unconditional, endorsement of Captain McCue.

Impo, if there were specific policies and procedures prohibiting anyone from having a pet on board, the rules would be enforced. It seems X does allow this practice because it has been reported that others have pets, specifically birds, on board other ships.

You are entitled to express your opinion, glowing or otherwise, but I agree you do sound a little too negative. Hope your day improves. 😉

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I have yet to read a single post, comment, or article on this site, or any other, which is other than a glowing, unconditional endorsement of Captain McCue.  I have only seen comments from people who don't think she's worthy of such adoration, without supporting their statements with any basis of fact or first hand knowledge.  So, yes, you seem negative and even bitter.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:20 PM, Miaminice said:

And no, I am not sexist and really love to see more women at the helm. I just wonder what happened to the other female captains like Captain Karin, Captain Williams. They are just as capable but not so media effective.

On 2/8/2019 at 4:02 PM, mfs2k said:

When you have to qualify your statements with “Not to be sexist” you’re being sexist.

- "I don't hate specialty restaurants and I'd really love to have more on ships. But why can't you stop talking about the Magic Carpet, isn't Le Grand Bistro just as great?" 

- "You said you don't hate specialty restaurants, a perfect proof that you do hate specialty-restaurants!" (round of applause by the readers)

Really?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I have only seen comments from people who don't think she's worthy of such adoration, without supporting their statements with any basis of fact or first hand knowledge.  So, yes, you seem negative and even bitter.

I am not being negative, just offering a different perspective. I work for a major airline and I am responsible for training our captains. One of the thing that an average passenger might not be aware of is a command structure and how it functions. Airlines, military and naval systems function on a command structure. It is not a socialized democracy. So while it may seem great to a passenger that a captain is mopping floors, bussing tables, selling make overs and jewellery, it can undermine that command structure and become a safety issue.

I am not sure of the demographics on this board, but I am late 40s. I and I’m sure most on this site already are hard wired to respect a captains authority, but why is that? Because those before us demonstrated a certain behaviour.

One of the issues we are seeing in the airline industry with millennials in particular is they have been raised without an authority structure. Parents and teachers are their friends and the neighbour is Jim not mr. smith. So when they grow up and see a captain mopping floors it just reinforces their paradigm that there are no power gradients....we are all employees and have the same importance.

Not good in environments where there needs to be a power gradient.

We train our pilots to always be professional in front of our passengers. Don’t dance around, don’t mingle through the cabin and sell sky mall during a flight.At the end of your flight, put on your tunic and hat and professionally thank the passengers.

It is reassuring to passengers and maintains a command presence to the other employees. If there is an emergency situation they are wired to respect that authority.

This is not a female captain issue by the way. I would say the same with male captains. Of course a cruise ship is different, but a distinguished hello from the captain, a photo with the captain on formal nights  and captains dinner are all great things to be an ambassador for the cruise line. Where I might caution is being an Instagram star that isn’t always professional.

Also shows other captains that if you want to get ahead you need to do these PR behaviours like captain Kate.

I get why passengers love it, why the cruise line loves it, but I question the long term implications and why the need to be a celebrity....the cat is a whole different level of unprofessional.

my $0.02.

A wonderful idea to let bugnaked be with her favorite human. I look forward to have er as captain one day- and hope i will catch a glympse of bugnaked myself! As for what she is doing for PR- and things like that-  some like it- some not- with everything! What I find totaly absurd is when the captain and his senior officers are playing in the pool with the passengers. THAT is something for the Entertainment Staff to do!

I've enjoyed those who've had some issues with how the captain conducts herself. 

Rance, your insight into how airlines conduct themselves is very insightful. I would argue that cruise ships are in a much different business. I suspect their captains have to be both -- professional drivers, and PR agents. In the old days, you had essentially two captains -- one for each role. 

My one experience on a ship captained by Captain McCue indicates to me she's very good at both jobs. As noted above, those who seem to pontificate about how she's less than deserving don't seem to be able to back up how a captain with over 20 years of duty experience shouldn't be where she is.

Oh, and in the NYT article she answers the question about Bug - the dog only travels with her Shen she's the captain. As a passenger, Bug doesn't travel with her. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rance said:

I am not being negative, just offering a different perspective. ...

my $0.02.

I completely support your 2 cents!

However, when surrounded by people who purely judge the qualities of a captain (male or female) by the number of selfies he or she took with them, how visible he or she was, how good he or she looks on instagram, how funny they think the oooold joke about looking for the ignition keys (heard in on my first cruise 1989) is...

such pure facts don´t provide firm ground - unfortunatelly.

Personally all I request from a captain is to get me from A to B safely. I can do without a photo with the captain or a handshake.

And before anyone falsely accuses me (again) of saying Captain Kate is not qualified: I think she is!!! However, she is not the only one.

Edited by Miaminice

4 hours ago, Miaminice said:

------------------------------

And before anyone falsely accuses me (again) of saying Captain Kate is not qualified: I think she is!!! However, she is not the only one.

It is the pipeline, currently available or so I believe.

bon voyage