Captain Kate

mfs2k

Do you guys follow Captain Kate @CaptainKateMcCue and her cat (who sails with her on Equinox) @BugNaked on Instagram ?

OMG. They’re both Social Media Masters. And from what I read here     she’s a pretty awesome Captain too. 

Looking forward to sailing with them March 23. D0BAA59C-F00F-42F5-AB81-37E83B6FE778.thumb.png.a3c887726c3e419e4e3c36b28a0e00ae.png

I know I will not be popular for saying this, but it´s too much of a show for me...

And no, I am not sexist and really love to see more women at the helm. I just wonder what happened to the other female captains like Captain Karin, Captain Williams. They are just as capable but not so media effective.
I like Captain Kate and admire her achievements but I think above all she is realy being used as a marketing tool by LLP.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

I know I will not be popular for saying this, but it´s too much of a show for me...

And no, I am not sexist and really love to see more women at the helm. I just wonder what happened to the other female captains like (Captain Karin, Captain Williams). They are just as capable but not so media effective.
I like Captain Kate and admire her achievements but I think above all she is realy being used as a marketing tool by LLP.

You need to do a Google search of the other Captains, Check out Wikipedia. 

Captain Karin retired is is running a spa-resort in Germany.

Check out Captain McCue on Wikipedia and her Maritime history, she is more than qualified as a Ships Captain and I do not believe any shipping company would put a Captain in charge just for marketing...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SC_Floaters said:

You need to do a Google search of the other Captains, Check out Wikipedia. 

Captain Karin retired is is running a spa-resort in Germany.

Check out Captain McCue on Wikipedia and her Maritime history, she is more than qualified as a Ships Captain and I do not believe any shipping company would put a Captain in charge just for marketing...

1. When LLP brought Cpt. Kate over from Royal, Captain Karin was still active. According to her LinkedIn-Profile she still is.

2. How is she more qualified than e.g. Captain Wendy?

3. I am not saying she is in charge just for marketing. I am sure she had to work very hard in such a male dominated area!
She is supposed to become Captain of Edge soon. I am only wondering why she skips the line of other female and male Captains. Traditionally the helm of a new flagship goes to a seasoned captain with long term service. Not to the one who comes last but happens to have a huge number of followers. So I am saying: welcome to LLP´s world 😉

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

And no, I am not sexist and really love to see more women at the helm. I just wonder what happened to the other female captains like Captain Karin, Captain Williams. They are just as capable but not so media effective.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/worlds-coolest-travel-jobs-what-its-like-to-be-a-cruise-ship-captain

To answer your question the other "women" and men captains will get their chance at an Edge class ship. Assignments according to Capt. Kate are for two years.

As to "why"her, why not? She is qualified and it doesn't hurt that she cultivated and nurtured her brand. A corporation would be wise to take advantage of it. Its doesn't slight the other qualified captains and their capabilities.

It’s funny. 

You never hear anyone debate why a younger man becomes Captain of a ship sooner or later than any other man.  

When you have to qualify your statements with “Not to be sexist” you’re being sexist. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, mfs2k said:

When you have to qualify your statements with “Not to be sexist” you’re being sexist. 

:-) Oh, I was just waiting for that phrase to come :-) :-) 

My wife just said: Mmmh, obviously I am also a sexist because I share your view. :-)

I was and I am fully aware that all her fans don´t want to hear the slightest bit of criticism. Even though I am not even criticising her but only the way she is being used.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

🙂 Oh, I was just waiting for that phrase to come 🙂 🙂

My wife just said: Mmmh, obviously I am also a sexist because I share your view. 🙂

I was and I am fully aware that all her fans don´t want to hear the slightest bit of criticism. Even though I am not even criticising her but only the way she is being used.

I’ve only heard about her for the first time a few days ago and discovered her instagram page and was impressed by her s.m skills. Why do you think she’s being used?  I think she’s promoting her brand and herself effectively. It seems to me, Celebrity is lucky to have her. Where’s the downside ?

14 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

🙂 Oh, I was just waiting for that phrase to come 🙂 🙂

My wife just said: Mmmh, obviously I am also a sexist because I share your view. 🙂

Lisa L-Perlo has been focusing on the advancement of women in the workplace, especially in the X brand.

That being said, Captains and Staff Captains are chosen by management based on many factors as it was explained to us by Capt. Costas and Capt. Mattios on the Edge when we asked them how they were chosen.

Capt. Kate is very personable, perhaps a bit more than other Captains from what I have read. At the end of each cruise she is on the gangway at debarkation shaking the hands of all the guests leaving the ship. Great PR for X.

And btw, she is not the only X Captain to have a Facebook page or following. So are all the Captains are “being used” ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 39august said:

When we debarked last July, she indicated she would be on Equinox this July. But her schedule may have changed as I believe she is going to the Edge at some point. Anyone know when she leaves Equinox?

Just going from memory of what I've read here, I believe she is on her last tour on the Equinox now and that ends on March 30.  Then when she returns it will be to the Edge.

I follow both Captain Kate and BugNaked on Instagram...and look forward to each and every post.

I'll be on Edge at the beginning of December and Equinox in May, 2020.  I'm really hoping I'll be lucky enough to sail with her on at least one of these voyages.

• Like 1

Captain Kate McCue was in command of the Summit last year when we were on board.  Her 'brand' is humour and her not so serious self-deprecating jokes about woman drivers parking a ship were hilarious. When Summit was a few minutes late leaving a port she'd make jokes about hunting for the keys in her purse.  I hope she climbs right to the top spot in her career at sea - presumably Admiral of the Fleet!

• Like 4

We enjoyed the humorous announcements. When we pulled out of Miami on Equinox in November, she mentioned "as soon as I find where I put my keys in my purse, we'll get going."  She also noted there were 5 different ships in dock pulling out that day, but Equinox was the first to depart "... because of course .... ladies go first."

🙂

There are a few people on social media who've give her a hard time, but I firmly believe their motivation is sexism, not a belief that she's unqualified. 

During her Q&A on Equinox she was asked if she had any horror stories about being treated badly coming up the ranks as a female captain. She gave a great answer, noting that Celebrity employs an amazing array of diverse people from 80+ countries, so everyone is different and everyone is respected. So being a woman captain was just one way she was different -- and she never noticed anything. 

Edited by GoodScout
  • Like 2

Had the opportunity to meet and chat with her a couple of times on our Equinox sailing that we just disembarked from today. She's truly lovely and really enjoys interacting with her passengers. Several of the crew also told us that she interacts with them more than many Captains do and they appreciated that. We have had many chances to briefly meet some of our Captains but none of them engaged us as much as she did! 

• Like 3

So, sounds like we should be with Capt. Kate in July. Since we will probably never sail Edge, I am glad to know we will get to sail with her again. She is funny and friendly. She was serving coffee in Cafe Al Baccio several times when we last sailed with her. 

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 8:49 PM, Ginnyfyr said:

She's truly lovely and really enjoys interacting with her passengers. ... We have had many chances to briefly meet some of our Captains but none of them engaged us as much as she did! 

I wholeheartedly agree. I have had opportunities to meet the Captains of the Millie and Eclipse. While both were friendly and pleasant to meet neither could hold a candle to Kate when it comes to approachability and relatability. Kate participated in the Archery competition earlier today on the Equinox. Kate is the people’s Captain in much the same way that Diana was the people’s Princess.

3D9D58BB-7DB8-4AFB-B947-7E3528DCFAB5.jpeg

• Like 3