Why does “all-inclusive” = “luxury”?

alc13

1 minute ago, Texas Tillie said:

... you seem to be a little more "rigid" about your likes and dislikes than I have found them to be.

I guess we're "rigid" too, and we're Americans!  Although I would choose a kinder word for it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alc13 said:

I guess we're "rigid" too, and we're Americans!  Although I would choose a kinder word for it.

I do not mind - I am aware I am rather strict and demanding concerning the F and B operations  - i am afraid I am blessed with an enormous memory for it -( it seems sorry for boasting ) - and I do see small changes as well. ( like another type of oysters a lot cheaper on the market )

Some people do like a particular company so much they are refusing to see and admit the changes.

Travelling business class in 1993 was also something else as now.  

alc 13,  I did attack the changes on Crystal after all inclusive quite often  with quite some details and that caused a lot of bitter and some hefty reactions by some people.  I admit that once i went a bridge too far .

I used to be a Crystal loyal - so far 18  cruises i will go for a one week on the Symphony to Alaska as it it is still better as other lines sailing overthere.

However  for me nothing can match the Europa 2  -   and i am always in a basic cabin but i do not drink "basic" wines on her:classic_smile:

some are cheaper as at my wine merchant.

I am always happy to read a passenger from a non German speaking country was able to like the Europa 2

• Like 1

I've heard nothing but fabulous things about Europa 2, but so far it's still out of my comfort range, price wise.  Perhaps if I didn't sail solo and my costs weren't doubled. 

As someone way up top mentioned, people do have different definitions of "luxury".  For me, being virtually all inclusive is a part of that, because being free from financial considerations is a part of my luxurious experience.  For others, that might not matter.  For some, a certain quality of wine or caviar is important, but for me (a non-wine drinker, non caviar lover), that doesn't matter.   Some crave an exclusive experience as luxurious, and like to know they're being treated differently than others nearby, whereas others don't like that stratified feeling.  C'est la vie.

calliopecruiser,

if you do not want a penthouse or a grand suite , and if you do book well in advance the extra for a single on the Europa 2 is some 50%

i never was requesting huge quantities of caviar even when it was free - caviar is something you must taste and not "eat"

i have the same with truffles : once in a year is already enough : a lot of people do like those items because they are expensive.

same with wines : i was once invited on the captain's table on ms Europa ( other guests every evening )  and one gentleman ( he was in a PH ) was staying on beer during  the entire dinner  - he was as happy with the beer as were the other guests with the wines

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

i never was requesting huge quantities of caviar even when it was free - caviar is something you must taste and not "eat" 

It wasn't about you specifically, and I didn't say anything about quantity, just quality.  Still, in general about what I've read other people commenting about.....whatever their preference:  Caviar type, wine type, lobster thermidor, single malt scotch, etc, etc. 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, vistaman said:

calliopecruiser,

if you do not want a penthouse or a grand suite , and if you do book well in advance the extra for a single on the Europa 2 is some 50%

i have the same with truffles : once in a year is already enough : a lot of people do like those items because they are expensive.

same with wines : i was once invited on the captain's table on ms Europa ( other guests every evening )  and one gentleman ( he was in a PH ) was staying on beer during  the entire dinner  - he was as happy with the beer as were the other guests with the wines

That's all good and well for you, But not for everyone and not for me.

Wow - there are a lot of Crystal cruisers on this thread.  Must say that Crystal was considered luxury before it went all-inclusive but to many luxury cruisers, the fact that they had set seating until recently (okay they did have "sort of" open seating by reservation) negated the "luxury" designation.  It should also be noted that Crystal has the smallest entry level suites of any of the luxury cruise lines that are typically sailed on by people in the U.S. and Canada.

Alc13 - Most people do not consider "Viking" and especially not Cunard (it is a mainstream cruise line with a luxury section) luxury cruise lines.  

The most sailed luxury cruise line in North America is Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.  So, while all-inclusivity does not make a cruise line "luxury", in the past decade, all of the "big four" cruise lines have gone all-inclusive.  Note:  SeaDream Yacht Club is also luxury but is a yacht rather than a ship with small cabins.  In terms of Hapag-Lloyd, it is definitely a luxury cruise line however, many/most North Americans do not want to sail on her because there are very few English speaking guests (or perhaps they do not wish to speak English........ crew members supposedly do speak English.  Also, it is set up more for families while the "big four" luxury cruise lines only market to children during the summer months and Christmas - when most of us avoid sailing.

When you look at some premium plus cruise lines (Azamara and Viking), you may find the alcohol choices inferior to those offered on luxury cruise lines.  On Oceania (sister to luxury line Regent), has top shelf alcohol but you pay $69/day/person (unless it has gone up).  Their pours are "mini" but you can always order a double.

I have also learnt that all-inclusive doesn't always translate to luxury. Interestingly, it is often assumed that one can mean the other. However, I advise that before embarking on any major cruise, especially if luxury is desired, the details of the cruise be explicitly checked. 

On 2/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Alc13 - Most people do not consider "Viking" and especially not Cunard (it is a mainstream cruise line with a luxury section) luxury cruise lines.  

Just to be clear, I didn’t call them luxury lines.  I said our experiences on those lines met the definition of luxury as found in the dictionary, ie., offering a combination of comfort and elegance at significant cost.

No, All inclusive does not necessarily mean luxury. But all inclusive combined with the service, the ambience, the space per passenger on board, the food quality, the ability to visit smaller ports that larger non luxury ships cannot enter.... yada yada yada does mean luxury

2 hours ago, alc13 said:

Just to be clear, I didn’t call them luxury lines.  I said our experiences on those lines met the definition of luxury as found in the dictionary, ie., offering a combination of comfort and elegance at significant cost.

Sorry - I misunderstood:classic_mellow:

• 8 months later...

So often these threads turn side-ways.  Luxury includes "all-inclusive" as an inherent part of the definition.  Your wine (etc.) is kept at an appropriate level.  Pretty much anything rational you (politely) request is met with a "Very good" or an "I'll see what I can do."  And there's no expectation to constantly tip; tipping is crass, as it implies the hosts are not paying their staff

appropriately.  

If your concern is that you're not getting your best value, because you don't (as mentioned earlier) drink much and therefore you're under-utilizing your alcohol allowance... you're missing the point of luxury.  Luxury isn't best value, but rather freedom, at least for a little while, from having to worry about that.

Besides, you'd probably be astonished at how little the rest of us wind up drinking too.  It's having that option, or the option for several room-service-delivered espressos at 5am, which by day three they bring without you even asking, that makes it luxury.   Or whatever your particular kink is.  But, you see, that's all "included" also.  You can't get, not even if you offer to pay for, 5am espressos on Holland America.  (I tried.  Didn't work.)

OMG... I just realized I zombie-threaded!!!!  Sorry!

Edited by TechSurfer
Zombie
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, TechSurfer said:

Besides, you'd probably be astonished at how little the rest of us wind up drinking too.  It's having that option, or the option for several room-service-delivered espressos at 5am, which by day three they bring without you even asking, that makes it luxury.   Or whatever your particular kink is.  But, you see, that's all "included" also.  You can't get, not even if you offer to pay for, 5am espressos on Holland America.  (I tried.  Didn't work.)

OMG... I just realized I zombie-threaded!!!!  Sorry!

Well I would not consider HAL  in the luxury Or even premium cat

Since  you opened up the thread again

On Oceania  which is not a Luxury line  you CAN get espressos delivered 24/7 if you choose 😉

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well I would not consider HAL  in the luxury Or even premium cat

Since  you opened up the thread again

On Oceania  which is not a Luxury line  you CAN get espressos delivered 24/7 if you choose 😉

I don't really consider HAL luxury either, but the distance between it and even what I consider moderately upscale surprised me.

Espressos 24/7?  I'm vibrating with anticipa... caffeine... at the thought!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

All inclusive and luxury are not synonyms. You can be luxury whilst not being all inclusive.  And you can be all inclusive but not luxury. Notwithstanding the fact that many of the luxury cruise lines are all inclusive, that is not neither necessary nor sufficient for a luxury cruiseline.

Agree.  All-inclusive does not necessarily equal excellent service, high-end accommodations, excellent cuisine, thoughtful upscale wine lists and other high-end amenities but it can be all those things. And of course the opposite is true.  Luxury doesn’t have to be all-inclusive but somehow, either way, a true luxury experience must have little unexpected extras in service, food or amenities.