Reading material

lenquixote66

I find that sad! There are 2 used book stores in Boise, and the libraries still accept used books. Also, I have found used English language book stores while traveling in areas with large ex-pat populations.  When I take paperback books with me while traveling, I plan on giving them away - I don't return with them,

On 2/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I hate that everything is electronic . When I was a kid my parents did not have a phone or a television.Life was wonderful.I could walk anywhere day or night without fear of getting mugged.My parents did not have a car and we walked a lot ,much healthier than people who drive everywhere even to go out to buy a newspaper.

We listened to the radio or had conversations.My grand kids cannot envision a life like that. 

I do not drive,I do not have a kindle or a nook.I watch very little television.I try and enjoy life the way I remembered it.

I'm glad that you get enjoyment out of this, but you do realize that there is no correlation between the fact that your parents didn't have a phone or a television and life being 'wonderful' or the absence of crime, don't you?

I also thought life was wonderful when I was young, and I also could walk anywhere without fear of getting mugged -- because we lived in a small town, not because we didn't have a phone or a television (we did).  

Every generation has an idealized memory of the way things were when they were young. The trick is remembering the bad things too. Like people dying from polio (or living the rest of their life in an 'iron lung'). Or segregation. Or exposure to lead and secondhand cigarette smoke.

As Benjamin Franklin said, "The Golden Age is never the present age."

(It also strikes me as amusing that you seem to think that the printed book is the original form of content consumption. Printed books evolved from hand scribed books, which evolved from scrolls, which evolved from stone tablets. And they have now evolved into yet another form. What makes a printed book "better" than an electronic one?  And if the older form is better, why did we ever step away from the chisel?)

• Like 4

Thank you Cruise Mom for your well considered reply. I couldn't have put it any better!

One thing which seems to escape the OP's notice, that one can only travel with a suitcase of books if one can drive to the cruise port. Those of us who have to start most trips with an international flight don't have that option. I too love books, but as I can read at least a book a day - there's no way I could take enough for a 15 day cruise, so I really appreciate my Kindle.

6 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I’m racking my brain to figure out what OH means. DH I know and use, but OH has me stymied!

Outrageous Husband? Obstinate Husband?

Out-Of-This-World Husband? 

Help!

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I think she typed O instead of D unless she meant Old husband ??

6 hours ago, ldubs said:

PS: I thought "OH" = "Other Half".  

Idubs got the correct answer OH for "Other Half",  though I like jagsfan version of "obstinate husband" better :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There are zero used book stores in the town I live in.Libraries no longer accept donations of books. I donate books to Salvation Army and ship's libraries .

I give my to Goodwill.

And take the tax deduction.  It is quite good on books.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:24 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I hate that everything is electronic . 

Is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to use a computer? You should turn it off and just start walking to the travel agent to discuss cruising. 

4 hours ago, Kmkub said:

Is someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to use a computer? You should turn it off and just start walking to the travel agent to discuss cruising. 

I do not use a computer because the keyboard letters and numbers are too hard for me to press. Due to my many disabilities I cannot walk to a travel agent or to anywhere else by myself. My family bought me an i-pad an a stylus pen .This is the only way that I can type.I have no choice,I have to use the i-pad if I wish to communicate with anyone.Typing on the I-pad is one of the very few things I am physically able to do.

Cruising is the only means of travel that I can still do although with great difficulty.

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not use a computer because the keyboard letters and numbers are too hard for me to press. Due to my many disabilities I cannot walk to a travel agent or to anywhere else by myself. My family bought me an i-pad an a stylus pen .This is the only way that I can type.I have no choice,I have to use the i-pad if I wish to communicate with anyone.Typing on the I-pad is one of the very few things I am physically able to do.

Cruising is the only means of travel that I can still do although with great difficulty.

You might want to look into getting a computer with voice recognition software.  Some of the newer programs are amazing.

Hank

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I'm so happy for you that technology has allowed you to do things that you wouldn't be able to do without technology. Perhaps you should re-think your, "all technology is destroying society," attitude, that you have expressed numerous times. It comes across as extremely hypocritical.

• Like 1

If you go into a bank you will see many teller windows but only a few tellers.That is because so many people do on line banking.People are losing so many jobs.

I spent 25 years working for a company where everything was done by hand.In 1990 they became computerized and 30 people lost their jobs. In 1992 more computers and another 30 lost their jobs. In 1996 they became completely computerized and nearly everyone else lost their jobs.The first 30 never found comparable employment .

13 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

If you go into a bank you will see many teller windows but only a few tellers.That is because so many people do on line banking.People are losing so many jobs.

I spent 25 years working for a company where everything was done by hand.In 1990 they became computerized and 30 people lost their jobs. In 1992 more computers and another 30 lost their jobs. In 1996 they became completely computerized and nearly everyone else lost their jobs.The first 30 never found comparable employment .

That is not a new problem. Whenever new technology comes out, people get displaced. Buggy makers were not happy about the growing popularity of cars, for example.

OTOH, many new opportunities have risen from advances. Example: More people can be reporters, writers & musicians, professionally, than ever before. Big publishing/music production/newspaper companies no longer have a monopoly on distribution. I have a friend who made some money (not a ton, but some,) by self-publishing a book on Amazon. There are many new YouTube stars, who are making money hosting their own talk/review shows. Some of them have gained enough popularity to warrant their own main-stream media voice.

There are more chances than ever before in human history. Some things fall away, but new opportunities always arise. People who want to reminisce about how awesome it was back then, forget all the bad parts of existence before we had improved technology.  I had some relatives die early in their lives back in the 60s and 70s. If they were around today with the same condition, they likely would have lived much longer, due to technology improvements in medicine.  

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I accept what you are saying. 

In 1988 I wrote a book that was published by a Small Press. The publisher chose to release it in paperback selling for $5. It was available at Barnes and Noble as well as other stores.

Today this book is available on Amazon for $27 a copy.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, vidsmart said:

The Joy of Cruising. Available in eBook or “real book”

02182810-CE33-41D6-A9A1-A06B0446E819.jpeg

25 minutes ago, vidsmart said:

The Joy of Cruising. Available in eBook or “real book”

02182810-CE33-41D6-A9A1-A06B0446E819.jpeg

The last time I posted the name of my book ,CC removed the post because they thought I was trying to sell it. Hopefully they will not remove your post.