Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

14 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Probably not. 5 star is different in Europe

I agree.

When we stayed at the 5 star London Ritz hotel everyone was dressed immaculately in the restaurant for dinner and also in the lounge for afternoon tea.

Edited by grapau27

38 minutes ago, bigeck said:

Americans tend to either over exaggerate their restaurant experience or don't understand what it takes to earn a Michelin Star. I have been to some very expensive premium restaurants that have a dress code but they did not have a Michelin Star rating. I wish I had a dime for every time someone implies that the specialty restaurants on board (insert you favorite cruise line) is five star and for the record even 30 yrs ago the MDR was not 5 stars. It was a much better experience than it is today in terms of quality and service but it takes more than cloth napkins and white gloves to earn a Michelin star. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Americans tend to either over exaggerate their restaurant experience or don't understand what it takes to earn a Michelin Star. I have been to some very expensive premium restaurants that have a dress code but they did not have a Michelin Star rating. I wish I had a dime for every time someone implies that the specialty restaurants on board (insert you favorite cruise line) is five star and for the record even 30 yrs ago the MDR was not 5 stars. It was a much better experience than it is today in terms of quality and service but it takes more than cloth napkins and white gloves to earn a Michelin star. 

Did you notice they took down our posts from the previous page?

On 2/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, Jasukkie said:

Preppy style golf shorts are very different from gym shorts or swim trunks. The former is commonly seen in the MDR aside from formal night. Swim trunks would not be commonly seen. No idea if they would sent you back to change.

My partner throws a sport coat over his best Hawaiian shirt for formal night, gasp. We do enjoy the people watching though and appreciate the efforts of the tux and ballgown folks. You look fabulous! 

Agreed- I have zero qualms with wearing golf shorts with a golf/polo shirt tucked in.  I look far neater than many of those who choose to wear pants and chastise others for not doing so.

On 2/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, wayne_trisha said:

You are right about that. This will cause responses but:

We loved getting dressed up for formal night. Me in my tux and my lovely wife in her gown. Having a pre-dinner cocktail as we dressed for dinner. Maybe a photo or two. Looking great and feeling splendid as we left our cabin for a night on the ship with most also formally dressed. A night to remember but not anymore. Now we would look out of place with all the shorts only cruisers. Now we go to dinner with the www.peopleofwalmart.com cruisers. Ruins it for us so we just dress nicely like we do the other nights.

Why do you care about what other people do or wear?

• Like 1

Can someone explain what is so offensive about this outfit? When I wear shorts on a cruise, tends to look like this.  And this is what I see on many other guys.  Usually with boat shoes.  Basically my standard daily outfit in Palm Beach, Florida.  I know you all get wound up over some random outlier in some really skanky clothes, but the reality is the vast majority of people in shorts are going to look neat, clean, well kept.  Just because I want to be relaxed on vacation (as relaxed as daily life, not less) does not mean I'm going to be slovenly or wearing sweaty athletic gear.  It's such a bizarre leap of the mind.  I can't imagine the mental gymnastics some people have to do to read the word shorts and go right to some soiled cut up sweat pants and tank top undershirt image.  Jeez.  Relax people.  The only way you can tell I am wearing shorts when I am sitting is if you're crawling around the floor under the table looking at my legs.  And there's no way you are doing that free of charge. 

1K2298.996.a.zoom.jpg?sw=344&sh=529&sm=c

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Can someone explain what is so offensive about this outfit? When I wear shorts on a cruise, tends to look like this.  And this is what I see on many other guys.  Usually with boat shoes.  Basically my standard daily outfit in Palm Beach, Florida.  I know you all get wound up over some random outlier in some really skanky clothes, but the reality is the vast majority of people in shorts are going to look neat, clean, well kept.  Just because I want to be relaxed on vacation (as relaxed as daily life, not less) does not mean I'm going to be slovenly or wearing sweaty athletic gear.  It's such a bizarre leap of the mind.  I can't imagine the mental gymnastics some people have to do to read the word shorts and go right to some soiled cut up sweat pants and tank top undershirt image.  Jeez.  Relax people.  The only way you can tell I am wearing shorts when I am sitting is if you're crawling around the floor under the table looking at my legs.  And there's no way you are doing that free of charge. 

1K2298.996.a.zoom.jpg?sw=344&sh=529&sm=c

Agree, and thx for the laugh! 

12 hours ago, bigeck said:

That is what I wanted to say with my post. No shorts even thinkable in all European restaurants with a certain quality standard. 

And the highest official standard of restaurants according to Guide Michelin is 3 stars anyway.

3 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

That is what I wanted to say with my post. No shorts even thinkable in all European restaurants with a certain quality standard. 

And the highest official standard of restaurants according to Guide Michelin is 3 stars anyway.

Try again

For a number of years, we only had one 5 star hotel in Scotland. Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire.

We Scots learned to cook and upgrade and we now have more and a lot of Chef's with Michelin stars. 

It was the AA that gave out the stars. Not sure who does it now