Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

Surely it means shorts etc are fine through-out the day and that they are just asking everyone to make a little effort in the MDR and speciality restaurants on an evening,  I know its a vacation but If you were going out to a nice restaurant at home you would probably wear a nice shirt and slacks or a nice dress,  there are few opportunities to dress up these days and personally  I like the idea of dressing for dinner. But hey ho! everyone to their own, I will dress up, but appreciate there are some people who spend their lives in suits at work and want to chill out and go casual on holiday.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vinob said:

Could always sail with Cunard who I believe still enforce their dress code.

You are right about that. This will cause responses but:

We loved getting dressed up for formal night. Me in my tux and my lovely wife in her gown. Having a pre-dinner cocktail as we dressed for dinner. Maybe a photo or two. Looking great and feeling splendid as we left our cabin for a night on the ship with most also formally dressed. A night to remember but not anymore. Now we would look out of place with all the shorts only cruisers. Now we go to dinner with the www.peopleofwalmart.com cruisers. Ruins it for us so we just dress nicely like we do the other nights.

29 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

Cover your butt and boobs and no one cares. Sadly, Formal nights are history.

Sometimes no even this!  I think the only restriction is   "no shirt-no shoes-no service"  Sad but true. 

But, ( no pun intended) Again it seems there is more "I want to be casual" on these boards than on the ship

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Just off the Jewel OTS out of Miami. Yes, lots of people wore shorts to the MDR. We were on the Anthem OTS in December sailing out of Bayonne. Did not see anyone wear shorts to the MDR. This may have been because of the time of year/cooler weather. I can accept shorts in the MDR with a nice shirt/top. Seated, no one notices the shorts. But wearing a Tee shirt? 

My concern is that some people go ashore and perspire. They come back on ship and go directly to the MDR in the same clothing. After all, they are on vacation and if they have an aroma, everyone has to accept that scent throughout their dinner.

1 minute ago, cb at sea said:

Shorts are the 'outfit of the day"....they are fine in all eating venues for breakfast and lunch.  For dinner, long pants are more appropriate, but certainly not required.

cover the butts and boobs...nothing else matters and even this is subject. Sad but true.

If dressing up is the top highlight of your cruising experience, as others have said there are other lines that will accommodate you. The upscale formal setting is just a thing of the past on family oriented cruise lines like Royal Caribbean, Carnival or NCL. They have a different customer base whose main goal is to enjoy family activities which could include Grandma and Grandpa.  

My main goal is to blend into the environment by being dressed appropriately.  From what I am reading here it seems that I will need to purchase more shorts to accomplish this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

You are right about that. This will cause responses but:

We loved getting dressed up for formal night. Me in my tux and my lovely wife in her gown. Having a pre-dinner cocktail as we dressed for dinner. Maybe a photo or two. Looking great and feeling splendid as we left our cabin for a night on the ship with most also formally dressed. A night to remember but not anymore. Now we would look out of place with all the shorts only cruisers. Now we go to dinner with the www.peopleofwalmart.com cruisers. Ruins it for us so we just dress nicely like we do the other nights.

Ok I will bite... why do you need the validation of others to enjoy your formal wear? If you like it so much, then dress formal.. in fact you can do it every night of the cruise if that is what you like. No one will give you a hard time for dressing how you like. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Ok I will bite... why do you need the validation of others to enjoy your formal wear? If you like it so much, then dress formal.. in fact you can do it every night of the cruise if that is what you like. No one will give you a hard time for dressing how you like. 

1. I don't need any validation of others.

2. My wife's and I is the suggested attire of the evening, not shorts and t-shirts.

3. Ever been to a formal event? You dress up for it, not down.

4. Never given a hard time.

5. Do you like dining with www.peopleofwalmart.com when you are finely dressed?

6. I think as the level of dress declines so does the service.

7. Being finely dressed should bring a bit of elegance to dinner. When you are in a tux and the guy sitting at your table is in his finest pair of short and non-stained t-shirt, how much of that elegance is lost?

8. Its okay if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

9. We don't dress formally anymore because the people around us, including at our tabel, ruin the expereince. you probably don't understand but that is fine.

10. People keep digging for the lowest standards of decorum. One day we'll find them. And we can all dress like the www.peopleofwalmart.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

1. I don't need any validation of others.

2. My wife's and I is the suggested attire of the evening, not shorts and t-shirts.

3. Ever been to a formal event? You dress up for it, not down.

4. Never given a hard time.

5. Do you like dining with www.peopleofwalmart.com when you are finely dressed?

7. Being finely dressed should bring a bit of elegance to dinner. When you are in a tux and the guy sitting at your table is in his finest pair of short and non-stained t-shirt, how much of that elegance is lost?

8. Its okay if you have no idea what I'm talking about.

9. We don't dress formally anymore because the people around us, including at our tabel, ruin the expereince. you probably don't understand but that is fine.

10. People keep digging for the lowest standards of decorum. One day we'll find them. And we can all dress like the www.peopleofwalmart.com

1. In your original post, you clearly identified.. that you do need validation. "Now we would look out of place with all the shorts only cruisers."  Looking out of place is be definition, needing the validation of others.

2. Good for you.

3. Yep.

4. Great.. then why stop. Dress formal, if that is what you enjoy.

5. I am not bothered by what other people are wearing, and I would never show such a lack of class by describing someone as this "Wal-mart" thing.

6. False equivalence.

7. Depends on how much you are into what other people are doing. It changes nothing for us. People are people, and I am more concerned with how they treat me, rather than how they look.

8. Oh believe me... You are making it quite clear what you are about. I am not judging you, I am reading your own words.

9. Again... this is where you are clearly stating that you need validation from others. Stop worrying about what other people think.. it's overrated. Dress formal... no one is going to give it a second thought, except they may admire your attire.  

10. I hope you don't wear glasses... they would be blocking the view down your nose.

Ever considered not cruising on a mass market line? You seem to have disdain for the mass market. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I consider myself a casual dresser.  I hate ties only because I have a large neck so unless I spend a lot on a shirt, the neck is too small.  That said I would not go into a specialty restaurant in shorts for dinner.  Pants and a polo at least.  Seriously, a polo is a t-shirt with a collar, you should at least be able to manage that.

• Like 3

Going to wade in here.  We dress up for dinner when cruising.  Hubby will wear his tux and I will wear a formal length gown on “formal nights” or whatever it’s called these day. Why?  Because we live in a far northern town where opportunities to dress formally don’t happen very often and we actually like dressing up for each other.  It’s not for anyone else but us.  I won’t even notice (or care about ) whatever everyone else is wearing so wear what makes you comfortable. 

My eyes are going to be completely on my handsome partner of 30 years!

• Like 4

Just now, Mikew0805 said:

1. In your original post, you clearly identified.. that you do need validation. "Now we would look out of place with all the shorts only cruisers."  Looking out of place is be definition, needing the validation of others.

2. Good for you.

3. Yep.

4. Great.. then why stop. Dress formal, if that is what you enjoy.

5. I am not bothered by what other people are wearing, and I would never show such a lack of class by describing someone as this "Wal-mart" thing.

6. False equivalence.

7. Depends on how much you are into what other people are doing. It changes nothing for us. People are people, and I am more concerned with how they treat me, rather than how they look.

8. Oh believe me... You are making it quite clear what you are about. I am not judging you, I am reading your own words.

9. Again... this is where you are clearly stating that you need validation from others. Stop worrying about what other people think.. it's overrated. Dress formal... no one is going to give it a second thought, except they may admire your attire.  

10. I hope you don't wear glasses... they would be blocking the view down your nose.

Ever considered not cruising on a mass market line? You seem to have disdain for the mass market. 

Entirely this. Stop worrying about what other people wear especially when it is a suggested dress code and not required. Non-formal nights I will wear my nice shorts. Formal night I'll wear a suit because I too like to look nice and it makes my mother happy to get pictures with the family in formal attire. Don't give 2 sh!ts about what others are wearing because its their vacation too.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 2:41 PM, Jasukkie said:

Preppy style golf shorts are very different from gym shorts or swim trunks. The former is commonly seen in the MDR aside from formal night. Swim trunks would not be commonly seen. No idea if they would sent you back to change.

My partner throws a sport coat over his best Hawaiian shirt for formal night, gasp. We do enjoy the people watching though and appreciate the efforts of the tux and ballgown folks. You look fabulous! 

Sport jacket over Hawaiian shirt -- I may try that!

I don't like to wear a suit and tie any more (wore them for work for decades) and don't take them on cruises. For a Caribbean or Alaska cruise I probably wouldn't take a sport coat, either, but for the Baltic ports this summer I will probably take a blazer. Or I might pretend that it's the Caribbean and wear a guayabera.

The argument that those of us who prefer other people to dress a little nicer for dinner "need other's validation" and are "busy body's" or I believe it was said "have sad lives" are so shockingly hypocritical it defies belief.  Nobody is demanding anybody do anything.  We have preferences. We are willing to make those preferences known anonymously on forum dedicated to the subject of cruising. However, I don't think   I have ever heard evidence on CC of someone actually doing or saying anything to anyone on a cruise ship because of their lack of formal dress. (cue the phony stories now)

If you don't like my opinion that is fine.  You have many other options... express and ignore mine as you suggest I do with the cruiser in the stained wife beater and the Adidas gym shorts. Find a different forum as you have suggested we find a new cruise line. Click the little red in X in the corner of your screen.

I would ask you a few similar questions...  Is your life so sad that you need the validation of others agreeing with your preference while you derisively rip other people's preference on an anonymous forum. Why are you so small minded that someone else's opinion would cause you to be so rude? Do you not believe in freedom of expression? As many posts on this thread have demonstrated, why do you think that everyone must have the same opinion as you in order for their opinion to be valid.

OP, wear whatever you want whenever you want.  It is highly improbable that anyone will say anything to you.  However, if you would, many would prefer that you dress appropriately for the occasion and location. Royal Caribbean gives suggestions to help you do that. 

10 minutes ago, MsYukon said:

Going to wade in here.  We dress up for dinner when cruising.  Hubby will wear his tux and I will wear a formal length gown on “formal nights” or whatever it’s called these day. Why?  Because we live in a far northern town where opportunities to dress formally don’t happen very often and we actually like dressing up for each other.  It’s not for anyone else but us.  I won’t even notice (or care about ) whatever everyone else is wearing so wear what makes you comfortable. 

My eyes are going to be completely on my handsome partner of 30 years!

Best post to date.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

The level of service on all lines has been declining long before the dress code. The fact that they don't enforce it speaks volumes.

One of the reasons we pick my time dining is so we have the option of eating alone or in our group or the option to eat with others.

My son works for a major nation wide bank in Manhattan. He is there a year now. They have a dress code and a clothing allowance. They have to buy shirts and ties with bank logo and they have to wear black or navy dress pants. The other day he came home and told us that they want to change the dress code to jeans and no tie. I think this has something to do with Capital One turning banking into a coffee house experience. They have already allowed them to stop wearing a tie. My son still wears a tie because to him it just feels wrong not to. He is only 23yrs old. It won't be long before we see people wearing pajamas  at dinner in the MDR.  The only way to have an upscale experience is to sail on another line. Sorry to say but that's just the reality. If you want Walmart prices with discounts on every purchase you are going to draw the Walmart crowd. 

This is one of those forums, like tipping or smoking, that elicits such strong and differing opinions. My belief is that if you are eating at the MDR or a speciality restaurant you should dress like you would at a nice restaurant at home. Nice shorts( think nice khaki shorts) a polo shirt with a collar and shoes like boat shoes (not flip flops) should be the minimum dress code for men. Ships have a suggested dress code and it would be nice if people adhered to it. But there will always be those who want to buck the system and see how far they can stretch the rules.

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

Cover your butt and boobs and no one cares. Sadly, Formal nights are history.

Quite often boobs are uncovered on formal nights. I'd rather see women in nice shirts than to have it all hanging out all over the table, like many of the tramp dresses on formal nights. Formal and classy are drastically different things.

• Like 1