Shorts not allowed anywhere except the buffet ?

8 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I feel your pain on finding clothes for a growing boy.  We barely found pants that fit for my ultra skinny (26" waist), tall 14 year old at the start of the school year.  Those pants are now starting to show a little ankle and we have a cruise in June.  Maybe I should get him a dress kilt if we can't find a good tailor for alterations.

Love this idea.  Don't think my kid will go for it, but I'll ask.  Got to be some Scottish blood in my family.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I feel your pain on finding clothes for a growing boy.  We barely found pants that fit for my ultra skinny (26" waist), tall 14 year old at the start of the school year.  Those pants are now starting to show a little ankle and we have a cruise in June.  Maybe I should get him a dress kilt if we can't find a good tailor for alterations.

Off topic... But what inseam is your son with the 26 inch waist? I need to find pants fro my son (both jeans and dress pants) and haven't had much luck. He needs a 26 (or even 25) x 32. 

4 hours ago, 3monkeys4me said:

Off topic... But what inseam is your son with the 26 inch waist? I need to find pants fro my son (both jeans and dress pants) and haven't had much luck. He needs a 26 (or even 25) x 32. 

That's tough. Young men's sizes start a 28 waist and the length of boys pants stop at 31 and that's with a 29 inch waist.  Maybe skinny jeans will work.  You are going to either have to fatten him up or take  the pants in. He may be the one in the MDR wearing the elastic waist drawstring sweat pants or gym shorts with a polo shirt.  Relax because according to this thread it won't matter.

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's tough. Young men's sizes start a 28 waist and the length of boys pants stop at 31 and that's with a 29 inch waist.  Maybe skinny jeans will work.  You are going to either have to fatten him up or take  the pants in. He may be the one in the MDR wearing the elastic waist drawstring sweat pants or gym shorts with a polo shirt.  Relax because according to this thread it won't matter.

American Eagle sells a 26X30 online in most styles and that has been getting us by for the last year or so once he outgrew boys slim sizes. But he has grown since he last needed to wear pants in October. He needs pants though, aside from the cruise he has an induction ceremony for NJHS and a wedding. Plus we are moving from a place that has tropical weather year round to somewhere that has typical seasons. I am assuming I will just have to get him 28X32's and have them taken in. I've been hoping he would bulk up a bit now that he has added some weight training into his routine but cross country plus baseball 5 times a week burns off a ton of calories. He already eats everything is sight. 

As for this cruise, we are planning on dressing up a bit for one formal night and we will probably skip the main dining room for the other one. For the casual/smart casual days we haven't thought about it too much. We will likely change before dinner no matter what we wear. I imagine I'll put on a casual dress or at least a nice shirt. My girls like dresses or rompers, so they will look nice I am sure. Husband and son will probably wear a polo shirt or similar, with either jeans or shorts based on what most other people are wearing. Probably jeans the first night and after that they will decide what they want.

16 hours ago, 3monkeys4me said:

He's wearing 28x32 with a belt (and they looked short this morning when he put them on for chapel).  We ordered on-line from Target (Haggar slim fit) at the start of the school year.  A 27X34 would probably be ideal, but clothing manufacturers seem to feel if you are tall you are also big (likewise, if you are big you are also tall).

I mostly joke about the kilt because those suckers aren't cheap, but we did have much better luck finding nice dress shorts than dress pants.  We do actually have the kilt material from our days of going to Renaissance fairs, but I wouldn't want to mess with the pleating on a ship for just a few hours.

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

He's wearing 28x32 with a belt (and they looked short this morning when he put them on for chapel).  We ordered on-line from Target (Haggar slim fit) at the start of the school year.  A 27X34 would probably be ideal, but clothing manufacturers seem to feel if you are tall you are also big (likewise, if you are big you are also tall).

I mostly joke about the kilt because those suckers aren't cheap, but we did have much better luck finding nice dress shorts than dress pants.  We do actually have the kilt material from our days of going to Renaissance fairs, but I wouldn't want to mess with the pleating on a ship for just a few hours.

Thanks! I think the 28 inch waist would be bunched up too much in the waist with a belt since the 26 is already pretty loose as it is. American Eagle does have a 28X34, but they don't sell a 27 inch waist. AE is my favorite store to find jeans for both my son and daughter, they just seem to have the most sizes available. The jeans there aren't cheap but they do have some pretty good sales.

I am really going to miss living somewhere that it pretty much never goes below 80 degrees. Only having to buy shorts on a regular basis is nice with growing kids. 

I agree if the 26 is loose the 28 will be too big.  Maybe you can find someone with a similar sized child and find where they shopped (that's how I got the Target idea).  If you still have a JC Penny, they might have something too (all ours went out of business).  Another option is custom made, but that seems like overkill for a child that is still growing (unless you are a good seamstress/tailor).

15 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I agree if the 26 is loose the 28 will be too big.  Maybe you can find someone with a similar sized child and find where they shopped (that's how I got the Target idea).  If you still have a JC Penny, they might have something too (all ours went out of business).  Another option is custom made, but that seems like overkill for a child that is still growing (unless you are a good seamstress/tailor).

We don't have many typical American chains here and not everywhere will ship where we are at or if they do it sometimes takes 6-8 weeks for packages to arrive if they use ground shipping, since it comes by boat then.  The upside is there are a ton of alterations places that are fairly reasonable.  Custom made things are sometimes cheaper here than paying for the item plus shipping but with teens that want trendy clothing it isn't  always the best option for us either. It may work from dress pants though, I should get a quote. My daughter needed dress pants taken in at the waist and they charged $5 a pair which I thought was a reasonable place. I am not a great seamstress. I can do a simple repair on a seam or a hem and that is about it. We are about 4 months out from moving back to the mainland and we will have a lot more shopping options available then.

5 minutes ago, fmack said:

$5 is bargain. Being charged $15 for changing the waist from 28x30 to 26x30

I thought the fashion statement for teenagers was to have their pants hanging low off their butts with the crotch down to their knees.  😛 

Edited by davekathy

Shorts are totally acceptable in the dining rooms at dinner.  Many men were in shorts and polos most nights and it was fine.  Who cares what other people wear anyway?  There is not a true dress code only suggested dress.  Dress however you would like.  You are on vacation.  We go to 4 & 5 star restaurants in Florida all the time and people are in shorts, why not in cruise ship dining rooms?   

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I thought the fashion statement for teenagers was to have their pants hanging low off their butts with the crotch down to their knees.  😛 

I was thinking the same thing but then I thought that is so last century .... Now everything has to fit like the skin on a grape. 

Oh how times change- in the years past a cruise was something special - nicely dressed people. Elegant suroundings- a wonderful athmosphere. That were the elements  that went with the idea of crusing- it was something apart from every other vacation.

Great that there so many cruise options nowadays- thank god we have cruise lines where cruising still is something special.

I am soooooooo last century- with pleasure!

Edited by Germancruiser

5 hours ago, tbillcruising said:

Shorts are totally acceptable in the dining rooms at dinner.  Many men were in shorts and polos most nights and it was fine.  Who cares what other people wear anyway?  There is not a true dress code only suggested dress.  Dress however you would like.  You are on vacation.  We go to 4 & 5 star restaurants in Florida all the time and people are in shorts, why not in cruise ship dining rooms?   

Have you tried the shorts in a nice restaurant outside America?

On 2/17/2019 at 4:29 PM, chenj78 said:

I’ve been on the Allure, Mariner, Liberty, Radiance (2x), and Symphony in June. Outside of the formal nights, I’ve worn a nice pair of shorts with a polo or button down to the MDR and specialty restaurants multiple times. I was far from alone and never felt out of place. Gym shorts, swim trunks, etc., are definitely not appropriate in my humble opinion. I suit up for work five times a week and a vacation where I have to dress up is not a vacation to me. I pay way to much to not dress in what I am comfortable in. Those who claim people in shorts negatively impact their dining experience choose to be miserable and simply need to re-think what should matter and not matter. I for one could care less if someone at the table next to me showed up in a tuxedo or tank top. Wear what you are comfortable wearing during your well deserved and hard earned vacation. Don’t worry about what others think. Enjoy your cruise!

So you are allowed to look down on those wearing gym shorts & swim suits, but if someone looks down on you for wearing shorts it's wrong?  

Sorry, I feel if you're going to allow people to wear what they want to be comfortable, then you allow people to wear what they want to be comfortable.  

My only requirement would be clothing that covers the appropriate parts of the body (so from above the breasts to above the knees), is clean, and does not have offensive wording or images on it. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to know that there are no absolute rules regarding what is worn in Main Dining Room, rather there are recommendations.  I plan on going through my son's clothes with him this weekend and figuring out what I need to buy him for this cruise.

I don't plan to buy him a tux or anything like that.  I will have him in dress pants on formal night.  Otherwise he may be in jeans or gym shorts (which is mainly what he wears on a daily basis).  No t-shirts that I can imagine would be found obscene or upsetting (unless you are upset by sarcastic humor).  His clothes will be clean (at-least when we enter the dining room).  If I can talk him into it he will be wearing the loudest Hawaiian shirt I can find one night. 

Thanks to everyone on here to make me feel better about my choice knowing everyone out there is making their own choice. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

Shorts allowed everywhere on Mariner of the Seas. There Is No Formal Night. It is called dress your Best. If your best is shorts then you are good to go. Just of Mariner of  the Seas Feb 18,2019  Formal to shorts all over the place.

Just back from the Allure. Didn't see anyone forcing a dress code but most people were dressed nice. Almost everyone wore formal on formal nights. Even on other days, people wore seemingly fresh new clothes at least. 

I guess the reason for that was less the dress code but more an opportunity to get good photos.

So basically, yes, it does seem like people keep travelling back to room to change clothes.

Keep in mind though that even though there is a dress code, it doesnt imply that the MDR is an upscale place to eat. The menu is a disaster. You have to practically train them on what vegetarian food means. They do make it up with top notch service though. They will bend backwards to make you happy.

• Like 1