Bad news for Scotch drinkers

thirstyman1

We recently sailed on the Escape, 14 day Southern Caribbean. We had the drink package all set up and pre paid. On our first evening we went to the bar and I ordered my favorite Jack Daniels, and my wife ordered her favorite Johnny Walker Black. Same we ordered on our NCL cruise previously. No, sorry JWB is not covered under the drink package, well OK Chivas. No that's not covered either, the only scotch (other than something that was obviously brewed on board ) was Dewar's. Not exactly a premium brand. Of course 10 days into the cruise several bars were out of even that. How can they serve pricey Gins, Vodka etc and only serve low quality scotch on the package?

I feel partly responsible for this.  I drank the Gem out of JW Black last year.  The inventory numbers probably spiked and caused them to raise the price.

Going on the bliss next month. Dewars and JW Red are OK, and what I drink at home. Will miss the JWB, though.

20 minutes ago, thirstyman1 said:

We recently sailed on the Escape, 14 day Southern Caribbean. We had the drink package all set up and pre paid. On our first evening we went to the bar and I ordered my favorite Jack Daniels, and my wife ordered her favorite Johnny Walker Black. Same we ordered on our NCL cruise previously. No, sorry JWB is not covered under the drink package, well OK Chivas. No that's not covered either, the only scotch (other than something that was obviously brewed on board ) was Dewar's. Not exactly a premium brand. Of course 10 days into the cruise several bars were out of even that. How can they serve pricey Gins, Vodka etc and only serve low quality scotch on the package?

well, to make up for jwb being above $15, Jack Daniels Rye was lowered to below $15!

and i am shocked that jwb is now above $15.

maybe that will change in the next 2 months when they revamp the alcohol pricing, AGAIN.

ie: Grey goose will once again be below $15. Read the recent ubp pricing thread.

21 minutes ago, tonit964 said:
5 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

According to a new menu someone on the Breakaway posted, they reverted Johnny Walker Black to 14.95.

Plus the first bartender told me we had to pay the entire price not just the difference and was not sure about that as had not researched it , didn't expect to need to

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Bourbons you can get with the drink package....

-Jim Beam

-Wild Turkey

But, as others have noted, I think these brands are in a state of flux, and some others are being added.

Which is crazy as locally Wild Turkey and Chivas sell for the exact same price

57 minutes ago, thirstyman1 said:

You can always pay the difference int he cost and the $15 that is covered on the drink package.

9 minutes ago, thirstyman1 said:

Which is crazy as locally Wild Turkey and Chivas sell for the exact same price

Yeah.....given that cruise companies have sources outside of the U.S. they can buy from, I think pricing of what we think makes no sense, probably has something to do with the pricing whatever international wholesaler they use.

They might even have more than one wholesaler.  They buy a whole lot of alcohol, wine and beer, so I’m guessing the brands they sell the most of get bigger discounts than some of the more premium versions of the same liquors.  Wild Turkey makes my preferred brand (Russel Reserve).  So, there are similarities in taste.  I stick with Wild turnkey and am happy drinking that on board.

11 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@fstuff1

once you add pepsi, johnny walker blue tastes the same as jwRed

If you drink scotch especially a single malt the only thing to add is a little rainwater if you can't get real burn water.

PEPSI...WITH SCOTCH!!!!!!....ooh we need to talk at that Jade M&G:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Aesop081
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Bourbons you can get with the drink package....

-Jim Beam

-Wild Turkey

But, as others have noted, I think these brands are in a state of flux, and some others are being added.

In my experience, Wild Turkey has been hit or miss.  Inlaws cruised recently and they didn't see any on the Jade..

10 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@fstuff1

once you add pepsi, johnny walker blue tastes the same as jwRed

If you drink scotch especially a single malt the only thing to add is a little rainwater if you can't get real burn water.

PEPSI...WITH SCOTCH!!!!!!....ooh we need to talk at that Jade M&G