Epic Interrupted

Briji04

7 minutes ago, Newleno said:

There was a gash on the ship, I dont know what else to say.  So you looked at my posted video and you still say that is a dent? is that your position?   

I guess it depends on what your definition of gash is. I see a gash if your meaning that metal was pushed in and lost paint. Fine if your saying metal was torn. No I dont see a breach of the hull at all. 

I would say gash to me means I can see under a layer to something like on my skin. A scratch I can see but not underneath my skin

12 minutes ago, Newleno said:

There was a gash on the ship, I dont know what else to say.  So you looked at my posted video and you still say that is a dent? is that your position?   

Were you there?  He said that he was there at the ship at the time.

1 minute ago, TominNC said:

I watched this video.  There is no hole or break in the metal.  If you want to call it a gash as the news reporters did that's up to you.  I think the people posting here are defining a gash as some break in the metal (hull plating).  If there was an actual hole in the ship I doubt they would have allowed it to continue to Port Canaveral from San Juan.

Not sure if this is all semantics now.  Confusion over the technically correct terms and how non-ship people might refer to things.

2 minutes ago, TominNC said:

I watched this video.  There is no hole or break in the metal.  If you want to call it a gash as the news reporters did that's up to you.  I think the people posting here are defining a gash as some break in the metal (hull plating).  If there was an actual hole in the ship I doubt they would have allowed it to continue to Port Canaveral from San Juan.

Not sure if this is all semantics now.  Confusion over the technically correct terms and how non-ship people might refer to things.

Your right I never said anything ever about hull plating, of course if there was structural damage they would not let the ship to continue.  If a technical ship term for a gash in the shell is a dent so be it.  Clearly it was repaired.

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Your right I never said anything ever about hull plating, of course if there was structural damage they would not let the ship to continue.  If a technical ship term for a gash in the shell is a dent so be it.  Clearly it was repaired.

Honestly, I think all they did was paint over the dents. 

6 minutes ago, Realdeal80 said:

I guess it depends on what your definition of gash is. I see a gash if your meaning that metal was pushed in and lost paint. Fine if your saying metal was torn. No I dont see a breach of the hull at all. 

I would say gash to me means I can see under a layer to something like on my skin. A scratch I can see but not underneath my skin

I never said anything about the hull plating ever, not one time.  the only thing i ever said about the hull plating was that I never said anything about hull plating.  all pictures, videos, evidence shows the shell of the ship having a gash, like opening a can. if the technical term for this is a dent(not saying a gash is not called a dent in technical sea terms but i have my doubts), well then that is what it is.

Just now, Newleno said:

Clearly, and based on my 43 years as a marine engineer, it was not repaired.  There was never a gash "that was like a can opener".  There was never any opening in the hull, call it what ever you want, there was never an opening in the hull.  It has not been repaired, it has merely been painted for cosmetic reasons, and when time permits, they will replace the dented but not torn open piece of steel, and in fact the structural framing behind it.  And, yes, there is structural damage there, just not enough to adversely affect the strength of the hull.

Here is a dictionary definition of "dent":

dent

noun (1)

Definition of dent (Entry 2 of 6)

1: a depression or hollow made by a blow or by pressure

Here is a dictionary definition of "gash":  

noun

a long, deep wound or cut; slash
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Clearly, and based on my 43 years as a marine engineer, it was not repaired.  There was never a gash "that was like a can opener".  There was never any opening in the hull, call it what ever you want, there was never an opening in the hull.  It has not been repaired, it has merely been painted for cosmetic reasons, and when time permits, they will replace the dented but not torn open piece of steel, and in fact the structural framing behind it.  And, yes, there is structural damage there, just not enough to adversely affect the strength of the hull.

Here is a dictionary definition of "dent":

dent

noun (1)

Definition of dent (Entry 2 of 6)

1: a depression or hollow made by a blow or by pressure

Here is a dictionary definition of "gash":  

noun

a long, deep wound or cut; slash

We agree to disagree, for like the 5th time now i never said anything about the structural hull that was all you and your 43 years, you said it not me.  They cosmetically repaired the shell, you want to call it a dent (that is your sea term), that is great, but the shell (skin) was ripped open similar to opening a can,  yep just like skin   put a bandaid and move on.

24 minutes ago, croix153 said:

It was a pretty gnarly scratch. But not a gash. 

So someone beside me sees something more then a dent, perhaps?  hey just for sh*ts and giggles, a synonym for scratch is gash, now a gnarly scratch sounds pretty significant in the scratch world.

10 minutes ago, Newleno said:

We agree to disagree, for like the 5th time now i never said anything about the structural hull that was all you and your 43 years, you said it not me.  They cosmetically repaired the shell, you want to call it a dent (that is your sea term), that is great, but the shell (skin) was ripped open similar to opening a can,  yep just like skin   put a bandaid and move on.

Nothing was ripped open. 

You ever very heard of the rule of holes? 

Edited by PTC DAWG

Just now, croix153 said:

Regardless of whatever our definitions of scratch and gash are there was no hull breach. Do you agree newlemo?

Not an expert but from what I see definitely no hull breach,  plus I never once  implied that there was.  Correct.

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Nothing was ripped open. 

You ever very heard of the rule of holes? 

58 minutes ago, Newleno said:

that is your opinion, we agree to disagree

55 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Not an expert but from what I see definitely no hull breach,  plus I never once  implied that there was.  Correct.

So, let me get this straight.  You disagree with PTC Dawg, claiming that something was ripped open.  Then you say, "no hull breach", which means there was no hole or tear in the hull.  Which is it?

17 hours ago, hallux said:

I actually think @dexddd was referring to a collision involving two MSC ships at a pier.  I saw a teaser for it on the national news.

It involved the Orchestra and Poesia...

That would be correct.

We've sailed MSC once which was fabulous and have three more in 13 months which I'm expecting to be just as great.

No offense but it is the nature of the internet that does this to people?? Would you stand there and argue with someone on the street about whether a dent was a dent or a gash? I can see it now - “that’s not a crack in the sidewalk friend, that is a fissure” - “no sir, based on my experience it is indeed a crack” — walk away friends! - as grandma used to say “oy!” - you folks need a hobby! I just read these posts and wish I could get the time back! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, exitoffnine said:

No offense but it is the nature of the internet that does this to people?? Would you stand there and argue with someone on the street about whether a dent was a dent or a gash? I can see it now - “that’s not a crack in the sidewalk friend, that is a fissure” - “no sir, based on my experience it is indeed a crack” — walk away friends! - as grandma used to say “oy!” - you folks need a hobby! I just read these posts and wish I could get the time back! 

Well a crack and a fissure are synonyms,  a gash and a scratch are synonyms.  What happened on the EPIC was there was a scratch/gash that was temporarily repaired so now it looks like a dent.  Wasting time is one of my hobbies  and I am great at it.  I think that is why I love to cruise so much I enjoy doing nothing.

Edited by Newleno

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

What happened on the EPIC was there was a scratch/gash that was temporarily repaired so now it looks like a dent.

It was ALWAYS a dent. If

22 hours ago, Newleno said:

the picture of the gash like a from a can opener speaks for itself

was the case, we would see zero evidence of the impact at this point as NCL would have fully patched it before allowing the ship to leave San Juan.  The metal was dented, not torn.

17 minutes ago, hallux said:

It was ALWAYS a dent. If

was the case, we would see zero evidence of the impact at this point as NCL would have fully patched it before allowing the ship to leave San Juan.  The metal was dented, not torn.

Yep.  You are not allowed to just weld up a "gash" or "tear" in the hull.  So, it was not "temporarily" repaired to look like a dent.  The only type of "temporary repair" allowed by class (think of class as your state motor vehicle inspection) would be to weld a doubler plate over the dent/gash, so you would see a rectangular section of steel on top of the hull plating.  If there is a "dent" still showing, then it was always a dent, and dents in ships can be left until a convenient repair time, or a drydock, or never, again a lot like your car.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, smd8z said:

Anyone know how the Epic is doing? She left PC yesterday and I am wondering if they are sticking to the original itinerary or if they needed to change it again.

Last AIS shows her east of Great Abaco in the Bahamas, heading for the Virgin Islands at 18.5 knots.  Don't know what the original itinerary was.