Epic Interrupted

Briji04

43 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Funny. People call the guy out and basically accuse him of lying. He provides some proof through pics and gets ripped for that. This site is a trip man.

He provided pics of a his cabin which certainly showed some issues.  But to extrapolate that to the whole ship being dirty?  Quite a stretch.  I merely suggested his not "seeing" cleaning going on about the ship does not mean it wasn't happening.  I'm usually up very late on cruises (3-5am) and always see cleaning happening at that time of day.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike A said:

On RCCL’s Anthem of the Seas which I am on right now, they have placed dummy cards in the slots of every stateroom. They must have gotten tired of dealing with the questions. LOL. 

Makes sense...it's pretty common in brand new hotels and in Europe to require a card in the slot to keep power on in the room.  

People are flummoxed by new things...

21 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

On my last cruise they advised us not to leave cards in the slots for purposes of charging devices.  They said if they found cards in the slots they would remove them.  I guess it only matters if the stewards follow policy.

I have heard that on most all lines, a tip to the room steward seems to  help. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have heard that on most all lines, a tip to the room steward seems to  help. 🙂

On my last couple of cruises the steward actually left a dummy card for us.  Was in the Haven both times so it's possible that made a difference, but nonetheless it was nice.  DW and I are familiar with the device from international travel anyway, so it really just saved me from using a hotel room key I kept for this purpose.  

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On NCL, pretty much any card will work. On some newer ships with RFID, any RFID card will work such as a work ID. You can usually get a dummy card from a staff member (steward, concierge, etc.) in any case.

We had an old card we were using on Breakaway and our steward removed it.

2 hours ago, Mike A said:

I am currently In Nassau on the Anthem of the Seas. The Epic is docked next to us. I watched the Epic sail in using tugs. FWIW the Enchantment of the Seas also used tugs. The Anthem and Norwegian Sky did not. I took a look at the dent. It is nothing worse than a small push in dent you would have on your car. I will take a picture and try to post later. Finally regarding the Escape, they will not be able to dock until the 1st ship leaves, most likely Mariner of the Seas. 

It looks much better now that they painted it.  On Sunday when we boarded it did not look that good. I guess the extra day in PC on Monday gave them the time to patch it up

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dad son team said:

It looks much better now that they painted it.  On Sunday when we boarded it did not look that good. I guess the extra day in PC on Monday gave them the time to patch it up

Hope you are having a fantastic time and that you cleaned up on the slot pull, I am holding onto your name label incase we are on the same sailing in the future:classic_biggrin:

23 minutes ago, Carnac767 said:

Epic often has to use tugs because she doesn't have Azipod motors.

4 minutes ago, croix153 said:

You don't need tugs if you don't have azipods. 

Just because a ship has twin propellers instead of azipods does not mean she is less maneuverable, nor does it mean you need tugs more often.  The Pride of Aloha (Norwegian Sky) had the same type of propulsion, steering, and thrusters as the Epic, and never used tugs in 4 years of operation, and in fact never took a harbor pilot, since the Captains and Staff Captains all had pilotage for the Hawaiian ports.  A well trained ship handler can get the same results from twin screws, Becker high lift rudders, and thrusters as azipods.  Azipods are not God's gift to maneuvering, they just represent less capital expense when building a ship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Just because a ship has twin propellers instead of azipods does not mean she is less maneuverable, nor does it mean you need tugs more often.  The Pride of Aloha (Norwegian Sky) had the same type of propulsion, steering, and thrusters as the Epic, and never used tugs in 4 years of operation, and in fact never took a harbor pilot, since the Captains and Staff Captains all had pilotage for the Hawaiian ports.  A well trained ship handler can get the same results from twin screws, Becker high lift rudders, and thrusters as azipods.  Azipods are not God's gift to maneuvering, they just represent less capital expense when building a ship.

This is along my lines of thinking as well. But we know something is amiss with the Epic as she is being ported with the use of tugs ?

Sorry if the reasoning was explained earlier in this thread , it's just gotten to long to read every post. 

Edited by BoDidly

I'm pretty sure something is amiss. Tugs at every port, she hasn't exceeded 15 knots. 

I wouldn't be surprised if all cruises get changed to bahamas cruises until she makes it back to the Mediterranean. Just doesn't have the speed to make Caribbean itineraries. 

Carnival did something similar with the liberty back in 2017. Rather than repair the ship, just repurposed for shorter bahamas cruises. 

2 minutes ago, croix153 said:

Carnival did something similar with the liberty back in 2017. Rather than repair the ship, just repurposed for shorter bahamas cruises. 

Princess has had a ship that's been "limping" along for a while.  I think it's the Caribbean Princess.  MANY trips had itineraries changed as she just couldn't make the speed needed.  The issue was with an engine and could ONLY be repaired while in dry-dock.

11 minutes ago, croix153 said:

I'm pretty sure something is amiss. Tugs at every port, she hasn't exceeded 15 knots. 

I wouldn't be surprised if all cruises get changed to bahamas cruises until she makes it back to the Mediterranean. Just doesn't have the speed to make Caribbean itineraries. 

I'm scheduled to leave on the Epic on Saturday, if their plan is to swap everyone out to 5-day terrible Bahamas cruises (I have 0 love for the Bahamas) then they should have made that decision and give everyone the opportunity that they gave the sailing that left on the 16th, take a refund or get a credit do the 5-day.   

But if they do the itinerary switch, what would the ports be and would they keep them 7 days or swap out to 5 days?  Doing a 5-day itinerary what would they possibly do with the 2 extra days,  do mechanical patch jobs? 

5 minutes ago, croix153 said:

I would guess that a 7 day would be long enough to get to Cozumel and back. I'm booked a 5 day western Caribbean on the 11th. That will certainly turn into a Bahamas itinerary. 

I beg of them not to take me to Cozumel again, I've been so many times I've stopped spending time/money on excursions. I make excursion to Senor Frogs, shots are 2 for $5 a cheap buzz while people watching is far more interesting that seeing Cozumel fish...again 

But if the ship is having problems and they are making the gamble to only do short distance cruises, would they really go from Orlando to Cozumel?  I would think it would be shorter to go to 1 or 2 of the Virgin Islands vs. going across the whole Gulf of Mexico and hope that nothing else mechanically goes wrong.

Edited by Cruz3r4life

26 minutes ago, Cruz3r4life said:

I beg of them not to take me to Cozumel again, I've been so many times I've stopped spending time/money on excursions. I make excursion to Senor Frogs, shots are 2 for $5 a cheap buzz while people watching is far more interesting that seeing Cozumel fish...again 

But if the ship is having problems and they are making the gamble to only do short distance cruises, would they really go from Orlando to Cozumel?  I would think it would be shorter to go to 1 or 2 of the Virgin Islands vs. going across the whole Gulf of Mexico and hope that nothing else mechanically goes wrong.

The Virgin islands are much further away from Port Canaveral than Mexico.