What do you bring with you?

EmilyColwell

26 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

They seem to have some groups who know just about even answer possible and can't be beat. 😉

We’ve found that some folks take trivia way too seriously (which is fine especially if the winners get a prize of some sort).  So what my DW and I do, as we really aren’t that social, is sit off to the side and just compete with ourselves and score our own sheet. This way our stress level stays way down and we still have fun playing trivia.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We’ve found that some folks take trivia way too seriously (which is fine especially if the winners get a prize of some sort).  So what my DW and I do, as we really aren’t that social, is sit off to the side and just compete with ourselves and score our own sheet. This way our stress level stays way down and we still have fun playing trivia.

Especially when the prize is a coaster. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

We bring our runners. We like to walk every morning and every afternoon on the Promenade Deck. Sometimes, we will 'do stairs'  slowly!  We don't look at it as a race or an endurance test, but as something enjoyable to do together. Depending on what other activities are going on, we try for 20 minutes to one hour of walking each morning and each afternoon. Walking is great for heart health, weight control, and sleep happiness!

Edited by miss prairie girl
  • Like 1

Lots of good ideas given. Here's a few things my sister and I like to do:

Walk up and down every deck and all the stairwells. There are often great works of art and other interesting things to see. If we do this early in the cruise it helps us get oriented to the layout of the ship. We like to take a peek in the theater and clubs while there's no one around to see what they look like...scope out good places to sit during the shows.

Check the daily schedule for classes and other activities. Sometimes they offer crafts...several years ago I made a bead lanyard that I love and use on every cruise. Last cruise I went to the classes on basic sign language.

I like to get up early and found they had a coffee station set up on the deck above the pool at 6am (so you don't have to go to the buffet area for that first cup of coffee). It was wonderful to sit out in the open air in the quiet atmosphere. I met several nice people there, many up early to take photos of the sunrise and always happy to share their cruise experiences.

I keep journals on all my adventures. Take a small notebook and find a place to sit and write down a few things everyday. I cherish reading them back later and bask in all the little things I would have forgotten.

Every ship has a library and I've been in several that have a daily puzzle and other things besides books, like board games. You might have to stay in the library to use them or perhaps you can check them out. I often see people on upper decks playing games or cards but they might bring their own.

We like to walk the Promenade Deck all the way around the ship. Some have the distance available so you can walk around several times to get to a mile. I also like to sit on that deck (to read, write, people watch, or have a glass of wine) because from there you can hear the water swooshing by and it's very soothing.

And then there's always "nothing"....just sit in a lounge chair, close your eyes and love being where you are at that moment in time.  Happy Cruising!!

on my last cruise, I made sure I purchased the internet package, and was able to watch my home TV Slingbox on my iPad.  Also listened to my Audible.   When I was sailing on a longer cruise to the Amazon, a few years ago,  there was a sign up sheet in the cardroom for players, man jong, canasta, poker, bridge.    There were also a lot a board games stored there too.  We did get to meet some lovely people.

Edited by Missymo

12 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Funny BUT it depends on the sort of cabin booked.  All are not chairless!   :classic_wink:

I don’t find it funny. Not everyone can afford to book a mini suite. No chair in any category below mini suite except desk chair, FYI. 

I'm cruising in a little over a month, and there are several things I'm really excited for. 

I love to explore, and I can't wait to thoroughly explore every nook and cranny of every deck on the ship that's open to the public. Much like ZuzusPetals said, there are often interesting things to see that you might otherwise overlook if you're only focused on getting to the pool or buffet. Really soak in your surroundings!

I also like to people watch. I haven't been on a cruise since 2007, but one thing I really enjoyed doing was rotating around the ship- I'd pick a spot and spend at least a half hour there, just watching the people, listening to the music or entertainment, etc. Then I'd move on to another spot, on another deck or another part of the ship. 

I have a home business doing papercrafts, so I'm really looking forward to bringing a bunch of stuff to work on that won't take up a lot of space, and sitting in one of the lounges or near the pool with a drink or a cup of coffee, and working on my craft items while I watch the world go by. 

I'll probably go to as many of the events listed in the Patters as I can fit into  my day. Even if I don't necessarily want to participate in all of them, like Trivia, I still enjoy going and watching or listening. 

It's funny- so many people talk about spending time in their cabins or on their balcony, but I'm the opposite. I want to spend every second I can out around the ship because I feel like I'll miss something interesting if I'm in my cabin- hah!

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 8:38 PM, Whoo said:

Just booked this cruise today.  Hello everyone!

On 2/25/2019 at 11:54 PM, Katjoy said:

I am excited, my cousin just asked me to join her on this cruise. I was on the Star Princess 11 years ago. 

18 hours ago, Happy2BCruzing said:

Excursions for this cruise are available on the Cruise Personalizer for those interested. 

I bring my Kindle Paperwhite. It’s the latest model Kindle Paperwhite; it is waterproof (you can read in the pool) and has audible built-in. On my last cruise I would put it in my crossbody purse and walk all over the ship while listening to my book.  

I get my ebooks and my audiobooks from the library. If you’re looking for a good book, ‘Where the Crawdads Sing is excellent! Enjoy your cruise! 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

My wife , wake up and ask her tell me what we're  doing today . No need to read the Patter for activities  she's got it memorized . No thinking while cruising for me. Married 42 to years to my wonderful  wife.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JEH said:

My wife , wake up and ask her tell me what we're  doing today . No need to read the Patter for activities  she's got it memorized . No thinking while cruising for me. Married 42 to years to my wonderful  wife.

So she tell you what you're going to do each day on the cruise?

Doesn't sound that good to me. I really like to make my own decisions as to what might appeal to me.  

47 minutes ago, JEH said:

My DH feels the same as you. On a cruise he enjoys letting me do the planning, & I enjoy doing the planning. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:00 PM, ukestrummer said:

BRING A UKULELE & MUSIC

Oooh really? Where on the ship do you play...just in your cabin or in public areas? I'm just learning to play, but I read music well (I'm a singer) so I might be able to play some actual songs by then!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JEH said:

outstanding

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 4:54 AM, JEH said:

Not me. I check out the Patter on my phone and make an event list of things that interest me. (Love that feature of the online Patter.) After that I go get a large coffee or latte and then go find my wife at the Knitter's and Natters and let her know I'm up and around. Then I read until she's finished with that and we decide together what we might want to do (or not do). We don't always have to do the same things depending on what's going on that day.

• Thanks 1