Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

55 minutes ago, molly361 said:

People have totally lost track of why the 3 drink coupons started.  It was so folks could have their drinks elsewhere and hopefully alleviate some of the crowding in the lounges.  Being able to use them anytime will not help with that

It would if D were kicked out of the Lounge.  😉  😄

<sarcasm>  I agree, it was a major blow to D's and D+'s when they were denied free beer and wine, plus 25% off cocktails.  It was a poor substitution when RCI spent a million dollars to build Diamond Clubs that served FREE drinks for 3 and one half hours every night.  Then they had the nerve to offer three FREE cocktails in any bar on the ship.

The most galling substitution was free cookies in place of pre-packed blue boxes filled will shredded paper, sugar cookies, and dried fruit that everyone dearly loved.

1 hour ago, SkaterJasp said:

Chops should only be open for Key on embarkation day only. If the Key guest missed the Key lunch, they can go on another sea day for lunch. It shouldn’t be open for Key every day for lunch.. unless it’s Royal “testing” out another feature before they roll it out fleet wide. 

Jasper, did you buy the key on any of your recent sailings?  I would be interested in hearing about the key hours on the Anthem since there is only a single flowrider.

jc

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

It would if D were kicked out of the Lounge.  😉  😄

As we know Ds were kicked out of the CL some years ago...and CL converting to SL...is it too much of a stretch to see Ds now kicked out of DL (and that lounge re-named to something else also)?  

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

The most galling substitution was free cookies in place of pre-packed blue boxes filled will shredded paper, sugar cookies, and dried fruit that everyone dearly loved.

I liked the ribbons on those boxes...I still have several of them attached to my suitcase handles.  😉 

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

As we know Ds were kicked out of the CL some years ago...and CL converting to SL...is it too much of a stretch to see Ds now kicked out of DL (and that lounge re-named to something else also)?  

It's also not much of a stretch to see Pinnacles kicked out of the SL.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SkaterJasp said:

Chops should only be open for Key on embarkation day only. If the Key guest missed the Key lunch, they can go on another sea day for lunch. It shouldn’t be open for Key every day for lunch.. unless it’s Royal “testing” out another feature before they roll it out fleet wide. 

I guess I was not clear  with my original statement.  I meant Chops   was  open  for  key passengers ( no other passengers)  on  Embarkation day. 

M

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Jasper, did you buy the key on any of your recent sailings?  I would be interested in hearing about the key hours on the Anthem since there is only a single flowrider.

jc

I did Key on a Anthem for 2 sailings and both time the key hours were different. It’s like 3 or 4 1 hour sessions. Most are at 9am with one or two at the end of the day or at night. It appears regular riders loose an hour on days they had Key at 9am but when they do Key at night it’s an extra hour. 

Celebrity recently tried to impose a 3 drink limit even in the nightly event. That apparently went over like a lead baloon since they now have unlimited drinks at any bar during the nightly event hours. I don’t think many Diamonds would object to losing access to the Diamond Lounge if it was replaced by unlimited drinks at any bar during the nightly event hours.

7 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Celebrity recently tried to impose a 3 drink limit even in the nightly event. That apparently went over like a lead baloon since they now have unlimited drinks at any bar during the nightly event hours. I don’t think many Diamonds would object to losing access to the Diamond Lounge if it was replaced by unlimited drinks at any bar during the nightly event hours.

Is the time still just  two hours and  just 5 nights of a 7 night cruise?  In the past,  happy hours were just 2 hours,  ( something like 5-7)  and  were not included on the first  night and the  night of the Captain's  gala.  ( hence the 5 nights)  

Had not heard it was any bar/unlimited. Is it  a specific menu like RCCL?

thx

M

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Is the time still just  two hours and  just 5 nights of a 7 night cruise?  In the past,  happy hours were just 2 hours,  ( something like 5-7)  and  were not included on the first  night and the  night of the Captain's  gala.  ( hence the 5 nights)  

Had not heard it was any bar/unlimited. Is it  a specific menu like RCCL?

thx

M

Yes, it is still a 2 hour event and not held on the first night or the Captain’s reception night. I do believe it is a specific menu.

22 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Yes, it is still a 2 hour event and not held on the first night or the Captain’s reception night. I do believe it is a specific menu.

Might be an interesting  conversation......

For a 7 night cruise,

happy hour  5 nights, 2 hours,  specific menu,   unlimited drinking

or

happy hour 7 nights, 3 1/2 hours,  specific menu, 3 drinks each night 

M

ps -   I ran the  numbers for me.  I rarely drink more than one or two drinks a night so for  the 5 night benefit  on Celebrity  that  works out to a  10 drink ( at most)  benefit for me. On RCCL it would be  2 drinks for 7 night benefit  so a  14  ( at most ) drink benefit.   

Edited by cruisegirl1

3 minutes ago, Raysfun said:

Happy hour in DL is 3 and a half hours each night of the cruise including the first night. Either 4:30 to 8:00 or 5:09 to 8:30. Just did Oasis and it hasn't changed. 

black shirt was noting the hours and days on Celebrity, not RCCL .

1 hour ago, SkaterJasp said:

I did Key on a Anthem for 2 sailings and both time the key hours were different. It’s like 3 or 4 1 hour sessions. Most are at 9am with one or two at the end of the day or at night. It appears regular riders loose an hour on days they had Key at 9am but when they do Key at night it’s an extra hour. 

Thanks, interesting.  Wish I could cruise as much as you do.  I have the key coming up in April for my 16 night Ovation sailing from Sydney to Hawaii.  I like the thought of extra hours and not so much losing hours.  I would think that there will not be many boogie boarders on that sailing, so maybe they will just steal from the boogie board.

jc

On 2/17/2019 at 3:04 PM, Lady Hudson said:

Yes, they would be very valuable to Royal.  Just want to be clear — the suite life is not me or my DH.  We do insides, outsides and an occasional balcony.  Didn’t want anyone to think I was implying that we do suites.  

I guess the other thing I am unclear on is that some say cruising is “cheaper” than staying home and that is why so many cruise so often.  I honestly don’t see that.  Many of our homes expenses continue when we cruise.  Certainly our home food costs don’t equal the daily cruise cost.  At the port we have to pay a daily parking fee.  We cruise because we like it — not because we are trying to live our retirement years “on the cheap”.   Katherine

Totally agree. I would have used the like button, it's gone. 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, molly361 said:

People have totally lost track of why the 3 drink coupons started.  It was so folks could have their drinks elsewhere and hopefully alleviate some of the crowding in the lounges.  Being able to use them anytime will not help with that

I know full well that the intent of the 3 drinks was to attempt to alleviate crowding in the lounges....but it hasn't really worked, because the NUMBER keeps increasing, no matter.  So 'if' you take away some perk, lets say changing who uses the DL altogether during 'lounge hours', then my idea was just to 'offer something' to soften that blow.  

On 2/17/2019 at 12:51 AM, tinkr2 said:

Well sure , folks love free booze. But as a former bartender, the booze is what makes strangers chat with each other.It loosens inhibitions. All Royal needs to do is increase the point levels and it will solve most of the problems. Give it a 6 month notice so people have time to sail if they are close. 

They are definitely playing with taking perks away, probably from necessity. I am going on the Presidents cruise in November, I am concerned it will be a nightmare of entitled folks. I bought a drinks package right away bc I am not fighting for a free drink.

NCL has some nice loyalty perks, free meals and such.

The basic problem is that on an oasis class ship, 95 per cent are not suites. What would royal do if for one cruise that 95 per cent cancelled their cruise?  Or withdrew their gratuities? I’m sure they would hear it from the crew!

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:01 AM, twangster said:

Quite frankly some of this thread comes across as 'entitled'.  

Simple truth is there are too many D/D+/P.  It's common for nearly 1/3 of a Voyager class ship to D or D+ at times.  

Have you seen the bottles they go through each night in the DL?  That goes on 365 days a year times 23 ships -  the cost of free C&A DL beer/wine/booze has got be a significant number on the balance sheet.    Do you think the original concept of the DL happy hour was consumption like a college frat party?

You may not like the answer, but the perks and benefits of C&A are not cast in stone for ever and all of time.

"Not all services can be provided on all Royal Caribbean ships. We shall not be liable for refunds or for damages resulting from failure to deliver such services."

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has the right to terminate the Crown & Anchor Society® Program ("the Program") or to change the Terms and Conditions of participation and benefits, in whole or in part; at any time without notice."

Personally I think they should get rid of the DL.  Expand the happy hour menu to include better choices, keep it at three drink coupons, change the on-board DX discounts so that Diamond gets 30%, Diamond Plus 40%, Pinnacle 50%.  Encourage top elite to buy DX if they are drinkers.  If not three drinks per night for a cruise still exceeds what most Doctor's would offer as healthy.

I agree but I also know RCCL has  many followers Just for those benefits ,,if they go away so will the cruisers because like RCCL does not need to continue theses benefits Cruisers do not need to Cruise RCCL