Grand WiFi

Ep010835

The WiFi onboard the Grand is simply awful. Clearly I’ve been spoiled by MedallionNet cruises. The attached images show the range of speeds we encountered on the Grand. 

We essentially had zero internet access until today since boarding in San Francisco on Sunday. Finally found good WiFi on a Mexican port stop.  We bought two pre-cruise Premium internet packages. The manager of the Internet Cafe was very gracious in working with us. First, at my request she cancelled and refunded my package. A couple of days later she and I discussed the abysmal speeds. She lowered our remaining package (wife’s) from Premium to Surf and voluntarily refunded not a pro-rated sum, but the entire cost of the difference between the two packages. Nice!

As an aside, I guess I always assumed the different packages offered correspondingly faster downloads as the cost increased. Not so the IC manager informed me. She advised same speed for all three packages. They are differentiated by the accesses that are allowed in each package. Attached is a photo of the WiFi packages description sheet.

(Please forgive the font size. My phone won’t allow me to change the size on a copy/paste from Notes)

0D90C3FE-72C1-44B0-981F-212B2346FFFA.jpeg

EDE09A9D-3145-4766-9BD3-0BD6F17BA05E.png

508B2F5A-4902-416B-8458-2968F839D3E6.jpeg

Just now, camper49 said:

What is a medallion net cruise? 

We just booked Regal Princess.

LUCKY you!! You will be on one of only two Medallion Class ships currently in the fleet. 

Fast, fast super fast internet and other nice perks. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

Do a Google search for Princess Medallion and you will find quite a few very helpful videos. 

Edited by Ep010835

9 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

LUCKY you!! You will be on one of only two Medallion Class ships currently in the fleet. 

Fast, fast super fast internet and other nice perks. 

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/

Do a Google search for Princess Medallion and you will find quite a few very helpful videos. 

Which is the other one?

Since the Grand went to the new set up..it hasn't worked  right.

No Medallion Net. It was when they went to the three tier. Grand was first to do it.

Was  on the Grand three last year since the change, internet not working right for everyone.

My e-mail wouldn't work at all.

Maybe better now if Suekel went in Jan. this year and it's working.

In Oct went on the Emerald for 45 days had old set up and every thing worked fine.

Now I read people saying the internet isn't working right.

I think seems like the "luck of the draw" if the internet works on any ship.

Maybe if the ships get the Medallion the internet will work for everyone.  Can Hope!

Grand Princess is going into dry dock on March 3rd and they will re-wire the ship for the 1st phase of the Ocean Medallion.  They will complete the Ocean Medallion system on the second dry dock, two years out.  I asked about the Internet Speed and they said it will be address on the second dry dock.  Info gathered from a Bridge tour and the Chief Engineer.  

37 minutes ago, Gimer said:

Grand Princess is going into dry dock on March 3rd and they will re-wire the ship for the 1st phase of the Ocean Medallion.  They will complete the Ocean Medallion system on the second dry dock, two years out.  I asked about the Internet Speed and they said it will be address on the second dry dock.  Info gathered from a Bridge tour and the Chief Engineer.  

IMO the Grand will be gone from the fleet by then.

She is the oldest Grand Class ship (1998)

We had terrible wifi on our last cruise on the Grand.  On many occasions, we were not even able to log on to check our email.  We asked down at the internet cafe if we'd be better off upgrading to the premium package but were discretely told, it wouldn't help.  I appreciated the honesty.  They were probably bombarded with people that wanted refunds for something that just didn't work.  

I don't use the internet that much during the day but would be nice to check my emails and even stream tv or movies from my iPad so I don't disturb my DH at night.  That was obviously too much to expect on the Grand.  My next sailing is on a MedallionNet ... I might get spoiled.  

We found that the "Pay by the minute" plan worked fine for us on the Grand, for checking and sending email. We would write emails in a text editor, then connect and copy/paste into our email program. Total cost, about $1.58 to download emails and send a reply. I don't think we spent more than about $18 the whole 15 day cruise.

I can certainly live without Facebook and news for a few days. It's really nice to unplug. Kind of Old School, but then so am I.

I envy those who are satisfied with WiFi performance of the Grand and with I could be among them. We all have different performance/satisfaction thresholds. 

We will be back on the CB later this year. Looking forward to once again enjoying MN. 

Just now, Ep010835 said:

Yours is not a hollow sentiment. If you are like most, future non-Medallion cruises will leave you wanting. 

I just like to use my iPad to stream while at night so as not to disturb my DH while he is trying to sleep.  I have a couple of non-medallion cruises booked after my cruise on the Royal and then again on Celebrity.  In 5 years, it will be a thing of the past ... I hope!