RCI orders, yes, a 6th Oasis class ship!

JAMESCC

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

I'm really really looking forward to some information about Icon class. I don't care about itineraries, I just care about design, layout, and features. The suspense is killing me.. and I bet I have to wait at least another year to hear about any of those things. UGH

I too think that Carnival Mardi Gras will be interesting. 

Carnival Mardi Gras is in general the same ship as AidaNova and Iona and Costa Smeralda....

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

According to Hotel Manager of Oasis, Icon will be 7,000 passengers. 

I confirmed that the 10K SEC filling RCCL posted two weeks ago still lists Icon class at 5,650 berths (150 more than O 5). Earlier documents, estimated 5,000 berths, but that was updated with the above figure over a year ago and has stayed that way.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/884887/000088488719000017/rcl-20181231x10k.htm

Edited by Biker19

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I confirmed that the 10K SEC filling RCCL posted two weeks ago still lists Icon class at 5,650 berths (150 more than O 5). Earlier documents, estimated 5,000 berths, but that was updated with the above figure over a year ago and has stayed that way.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/884887/000088488719000017/rcl-20181231x10k.htm

Do berths count crew quarters?

4 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Do berths count crew quarters?

Not in the context of the numbers in the SEC filing. All the other ship berth counts in the SEC filings seem correct.

Edited by Biker19

18 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I don't think it is wasted space. That space serves several purposes. One, it lowers the center of gravity of the ship, and two, it provides common areas for 6,000+ people. I seem to recall on one of the Impossible Engineering episodes about Oasis class, the engineers discussed the difficulty in pushing the tall superstructure out to the edge of the hull while preventing the ship from becoming too top heavy.

Only common area on one deck. I'd think her immense width counters her being top heavy, but I have no knowledge 

21 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

You mean in most cases don't you!  The only true scuttlebutt we've ever heard was from the Captain and it never panned out either.

Texas is supposed to get an Oasis class and we just assumed it would be the oldest vessel, but if Lady O goes to NJ then it has to be Allure.  That leaves Harmony and Symphony for Fl.  Then this new ship to the MED.  We're also supposed to get Adventure for 4/5day sailings

Oasis only in NJ during summer and only in 2020 so far. Galveston terminal not ready until 2021, if then. Has it started yet? New ship will split time between Med and FL from what I read. 

Personally,  I think there will be a constant rotation between Europe and the US for Oasis ships in conjunction with 5 year drydock. No one ship will go back every year

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Only common area on one deck. I'd think her immense width counters her being top heavy, but I have no knowledge 

Even if the overhead space is not physically occupied it's nice to have open space that's not just on the top decks.

1 minute ago, Pratique said:

Even if the overhead space is not physically occupied it's nice to have open space that's not just on the top decks.

Absolutely,  I just think the design has run its course with this 6th ship. Time for something different 

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I watched a Discovery Channel show on this topic - specific to bigger Royal ships and other similar vessels  - about a year ago.

They indicated that the latest ships over the past several 5-7 years were "bottom heavy", in that the base sections (roughly Deck 5 and below within the hull) were made of heavy-gauge steel that weighed more than the upper deck sections that were made of lighter weight aluminum alloy and other materials to sustain stability in the water. 

I suspect Oasis Class ship #6 will introduce further changes to the upper deck and/or other key features not found on its sister ships.

2 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

I watched a Discovery Channel show on this topic - specific to bigger Royal ships and other similar vessels  - about a year ago.

They indicated that the latest ships over the past several 5-7 years were "bottom heavy", in that the base sections (roughly Deck 5 and below within the hull) were made of heavy-gauge steel that weighed more than the upper deck sections that were made of lighter weight aluminum alloy and other materials to sustain stability in the water. 

I suspect Oasis Class ship #6 will introduce further changes to the upper deck and/or other key features not found on its sister ships.

Probably nothing structural though. Just features to make her stand out a little.

The cool stuff will be on Icon. Kind of like what Genesis was back in 2007.

They've had more than 10 years to think about it.

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Probably nothing structural though. Just features to make her stand out a little.

The cool stuff will be on Icon. Kind of like what Genesis was back in 2007.

They've had more than 10 years to think about it.

Yeah...maybe...its likely their last Oasis Class ship, so they may add something "special".

Abyss was introduced as a new thing, and the water-slide-mania has taken hold in recent times...so who knows.

9 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yeah...maybe...its likely their last Oasis Class ship, so they may add something "special".

Abyss was introduced as a new thing, and the water-slide-mania has taken hold in recent times...so who knows.

Sure, but those are just features. 

Royal was definently late to the party with water slides.  Abyss is different,  but the open Boardwalk allows that, fairly unique.

Is there a 'wish list' for Icon Class thread yet?

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Sure, but those are just features. 

Royal was definently late to the party with water slides.  Abyss is different,  but the open Boardwalk allows that, fairly unique.

Maybe they'll have some kind of new "cliff diving" feature from deck 18 to the AquaTheater pool!  😨

OK...maybe not. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Off topic a bit but did you also notice that Adam Goldstein was not listed with the executive officers on the report?  He’s still listed on the website though and I haven’t seen a form 8-k about him leaving.

3 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

You mean in most cases don't you!  The only true scuttlebutt we've ever heard was from the Captain and it never panned out either.

Texas is supposed to get an Oasis class and we just assumed it would be the oldest vessel, but if Lady O goes to NJ then it has to be Allure.  That leaves Harmony and Symphony for Fl.  Then this new ship to the MED.  We're also supposed to get Adventure for 4/5day sailings

Galveston isn’t due for the new terminal until the fall of 2021 so Oasis being in Bayonne for the summer of 2020 dies not factor into what Oasis class ship will end up in Galveston.

https://www.chron.com/business/article/Royal-Caribbean-to-build-nearly-100M-cruise-13444607.php

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Off topic a bit but did you also notice that Adam Goldstein was not listed with the executive officers on the report?  He’s still listed on the website though and I haven’t seen a form 8-k about him leaving.

He is listed in previous reports, hmmm.....

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes and was named vice chairman.  Still would expect to see his name listed with the senior executives on the annual report.

No longer has executive or operational duties. I don't think it is an oversight in the SEC filing.