Identification Question using b/c and d/l

4 hours ago, gatour said:

I booked the cruise using her married name that she would have post marriage.  This was the custom at the time (20 years ago).  People get married.  Wife assumes husband's last name.  My wife planned the wedding nupitials with some input from me. I planned the honeymoon while knowing her likes and dislikes.

20 years ago, no one blinked an eye at a BC with maiden name

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

That is correct, I meant to say "Customs Officer". My bad.

Ex works for DHS, so I have had to learn things correctly. 🙂

And again, prior to 2002, when you arrived by sea or air, an IMMIGRATION officer checked your passport.  Then a CUSTOMS officer collected your I-94 form (white and blue form) and either inspected your luggage or waved you through.

And if the dog came up and sat, you got an inspection by an AGRICULTURE officer.  As they deal with edible things entering the country.

11 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

20 years ago entry and security were a WHOLE lot different from now.

20 years ago, Immigration officer would take a quick look at your passport and waive you through.  Seldom stamped them.  Did not scan and call up the info on their screen.

Edited by SRF

23 minutes ago, SRF said:

Ex works for DHS, so I have had to learn things correctly. 🙂

And again, prior to 2002, when you arrived by sea or air, an IMMIGRATION officer checked your passport.  Then a CUSTOMS officer collected your I-94 form (white and blue form) and either inspected your luggage or waved you through.

And if the dog came up and sat, you got an inspection by an AGRICULTURE officer.  As they deal with edible things entering the country.

I wouldn't know about prior to 2002 because before that when I arrived by air I didn't have a passport. (I have a lot of friends who work for CBP (either CBP Officer or Border Patrol Agent) and other DHS agencies since we live near the border.)

Edited by sparks1093

21 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

That may be what it may be.

20 years ago...

We got married on Saturday.  We were going on a cruise on Sunday for our honeymoon.  At the time and even now you have to have bridging documents.  While they may "blink", why take a chance if you can help it?

All it takes one official or a ship person to put it a kibitz on a plan to hopefully to bypass the rules. 

2 hours ago, gatour said:

That may be what it may be.

20 years ago...

We got married on Saturday.  We were going on a cruise on Sunday for our honeymoon.  At the time and even now you have to have bridging documents.  While they may "blink", why take a chance if you can help it?

All it takes one official or a ship person to put it a kibitz on a plan to hopefully to bypass the rules. 

In that situation, of course the marriage license would be needed. You can't get on a ship if the cruise is booked in a name that you have no picture id that matches

30 years ago I used the embosser at work to make a raised seal on a copy of my birth certificate for a land trip to Mexico. Things weren't quite so strict then.....:classic_dry: We have been in full legal compliance since then. :classic_biggrin:

9 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

In that situation, of course the marriage license would be needed. You can't get on a ship if the cruise is booked in a name that you have no picture id that matches

Actually I think you can if all your bridging documents are in order. 

But it would be easier to make the reservation in the name that matches your picture ID.