Specialty Restaurant Prices Exceeding $20

roger001

I meant to mention this in a previous posting about a last week Jade cruise, but forgot.  The Platinum dinner bennie ticket for Cagney's still does state a limit of $20 max for an entree.  However, the Cagney menu only has maybe two items that don't exceed that now.  My wife ordered a $26 entree and I had a $23 item.  No mention was made to us by the server of the extra charge and none was on our bill.  Service was great and NCL folks very nice...as usual.   Sure makes for a more comfortable and happy dining experience.  Wish NCL would take that off the bennie ticket and make both the guest and the servers feel more relaxed not having to think about it.  It's not the money.  It's the silliness of offering a reward and then giving a "but" restriction on it.   

It has been reported by a couple of posters now that they were told the Platinum Entree limit has been raised to $25.    Nice to see they didn't give you any problem with the $26  entree. 

Even if they have pre-printed Platinum vouchers that need to be used it would be nice in the CruiseNext desk would update this with a notice in your packet. 

I was on the Jade last week and used my platinum vouchers at Moderno and Le Bisro.  I ordered the shrimp dish at Les bistro which was 26 dollars I think     They came over and explained I would be charged because I was over the limit    I was charged 2.35      

23 minutes ago, Beachedgirl said:

I was on the Jade last week and used my platinum vouchers at Moderno and Le Bisro.  I ordered the shrimp dish at Les bistro which was 26 dollars I think     They came over and explained I would be charged because I was over the limit    I was charged 2.35      

Now charging 2.35 at the end of dinner is cheesy . If they did that to me I would say that was your whole tip.

• Like 1

I was on the Sun last week and was told in Cagneys you can order an entree and a side that totals $25pp for the platinum dinner.  So if the entree is $23 and a side is $4 they will bill you $2.

In Le Bistro you can order any entree up to $25 which includes the potato and a side.  We also asked if we can substitute the dessert for an extra app.  At first they said no but then the head waiter came over and said we can have the extra app (mushroom soup) and they still gave us dessert.

In Moderno no extra charges at all.

Hope this is not off-topic but I have an SPD perk upcoming and this makes me wonder what limits are applied to Cagney's (and other restaurants). I understood I was entitled to an appetizer, entree and dessert. Is there a limit within these choices? 

12 hours ago, detroitlions said:

Now charging 2.35 at the end of dinner is cheesy . If they did that to me I would say that was your whole tip.

It sounds like they were told upon ordering.  Mind you servers don't make policy they just follow policy, that is both on ship and land.

Ourwaiter and maitred kept apologising  new rules from higher management since Jan of this year .... re veggies or extra charges for sides .Theywere put in very delicate positionwith irate customers who felt nickled  and dimed ...apologising profusely 

it was not a nice feeling ....we chose to not use all our coupons as Platinum plus cruisers ..next time dont give them if they come with a price tag or ridiculous restrictions 

originally added ons for specialty was strictly  for tips ..because foodwas paid for by cruise fare ....now its for food plus 20% addedfor tips regardless of quality service .

i do notwant tospend time figuring how much. More dinner will cost for something extra like a veggie 

we go to Cagneys for nice relaxing yummy  dinner ..it was not ...we shall not return unless they i prove on this cheapiness 

12 hours ago, Maplemoose said:

Hope this is not off-topic but I have an SPD perk upcoming and this makes me wonder what limits are applied to Cagney's (and other restaurants). I understood I was entitled to an appetizer, entree and dessert. Is there a limit within these choices? 

You are restricted to one entree. No limit on apps, sides or desserts.

There are a couple of uncharges in some restaurants (Bayamo, Ocean Blue, Sushi etc), and one entree (Seafood Extravaganza) in Ocean Blue is excluded. The details are on the NCL website.

It is much less restricted than the platinum meal.

It's the pettiness of these little two and three dollar add ons, including the stated limits on quality,  that ruin the pleasantness, comfortableness of what should be a very relaxed dinner.  The dinners' coupons are a thank you from NCL to their loyal guests.  Thank you's don't come with conditions.   If they do, then they don't mean anything genuinely.    It's all appearance NCL!  Your marketing folks sometimes puzzle me.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with you completely.  It wasn't about the extra dollars associated with the meal but rather the pettiness of it all.   For example, we NEVER take our bottle of wine that's included with the coupon we are just not wine drinkers.   Guess who took the bottle of wine?  The couple beside us enjoyed it profusely.    

1 hour ago, roger001 said:

It's the pettiness of these little two and three dollar add ons, including the stated limits on quality,  that ruin the pleasantness, comfortableness of what should be a very relaxed dinner.  The dinners' coupons are a thank you from NCL to their loyal guests.  Thank you's don't come with conditions.   If they do, then they don't mean anything genuinely.    It's all appearance NCL!  Your marketing folks sometimes puzzle me.  

I agree with you. It’s not about being able to afford $2.35, it’s the pettiness of NCL in charging it. Either have a loyalty benefit, or don’t. 

Many companies just don’t understand the value of generating goodwill (or the damage done by destroying it).  Preserving  goodwill is worth far more than making $2.35.

Edited by Turtles06