New England Cruise Departure Ports

packedandready

A New England cruise is on my bucket list. But, unlike most people I want to sail in the warmest time of year so thinking July or August??? The ones I'm looking at leave Boston, New Jersey or Maryland. One of the things I'm adding into my decision is the EASE from getting from airport, hotel to ship and back to airport. We live in Texas and cruise out of Galveston a lot and have flown to Florida a number of times and every thing is easy. We've never been to the north east so have no clue on airport location in relationship ports and hotels. Any information or guidance is appreciated. 

How  about  embarking in Montreal ?

HAL  do some summer sailings 

I would  find  what lines do  NE  in the time frame you are looking at  then decide on the  itinerary  that suits your needs

Enjoy

Ships leave Boston from the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal; the Boston airport is Logan.

The NJ port is Cape Liberty. The nearest airport is Newark. (Some folks fly into JFK or La Guardia if that makes more sense for them, but is more of a hassle factor and expense to get to NJ.)

Have a look at the locations on Google maps.

Baltimore, obviously, is the furthest from New England, so you’d have further travel time to your ports. You might also want to consider where you’d like to spend some pre- and/or post-cruise time.  I would strongly consider the ships and the itineraries.

Everything in the Northeast is DIY.  I can help with Cape Liberty and Boston.

For Cape Liberty the Newark Airport hotels offer free shuttles from EWR.  There are only a few hotels that offer a paid port shuttle.  There are also some fly cruise packages.  Folks use Uber to get to the port.  Newark Airport is not a vacation destination.  Many hotels offer no food service beyond a free breakfast.  If you’re not on International Blvd in Elizabeth, the only dining option other than takeout might be just a restaurant in a neighboring hotel.

For Boston the hotels which offer an airport and cruise port shuttle are located in more fringe areas like Quincy and Dorchester.  Downtown Boston hotels are very expensive and have no shuttles.  However, Logan Airport is very close and accessible by Uber.  The Seaport District is very convenient to Black Falcon Terminal and has the Silver Line connection to both downtown and the airport.  The Silver Line is actually free from the airport to the Seaport District and South Station with free transfer into the Boston subway system.

In both Baltimore and Boston taxis are plentiful and it is an easy ride from the airport (BWI or Logan) to the cruise terminal. An advantage to Boston is that you are further north and do not have to spend ship time getting to New England.

On February 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM, packedandready said:

A New England cruise is on my bucket list. But, unlike most people I want to sail in the warmest time of year so thinking July or August??? The ones I'm looking at leave Boston, New Jersey or Maryland. One of the things I'm adding into my decision is the EASE from getting from airport, hotel to ship and back to airport. We live in Texas and cruise out of Galveston a lot and have flown to Florida a number of times and every thing is easy. We've never been to the north east so have no clue on airport location in relationship ports and hotels. Any information or guidance is appreciated. 

We did a New England cruise in October 2013 and it was wonderful.

While most people want to go to Fla from NY in the winter I prefer Galveston.

There are also Canada/NE cruises out of NY on a few lines.  You can fly into JFK, LaGuardia or Newark (LaGuardia probably being  most convenient) Transportation into the city is plentiful, PLENTY to see/do pre or post cruise.  Hotels won't be "a bargain" however, if you've not been to NYC, that's an experience in itself.